U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 PM

13,752 posts, read 9,866,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You obviously do not work in an airport. That is an everyday occurrence.
Punk Amish Nuns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 07:23 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,683,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You obviously do not work in an airport. That is an everyday occurrence.
Right? I'm wondering if that poster flies frequently. I see women in hijab all the time when I fly.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:01 AM

22,761 posts, read 28,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
............Two year-olds don't have to face backwards with nothing to do or see. They can face forward, have a lap desk to play with things on, carry on with Mama as she drives, sing, ........
2 year olds should be riding in the back seat because of the air bag danger to toddlers. (OP has said "car" not "pickup" )

Mama should not be carrying on with the toddler while she drives, she should be alert and watching the road for dangers, not picking up dropped toys or playing patty cake. Singing won't keep a toddler occupied for 10 hours a day for a full week. Roads in Canada have surprise moose and deer popping out onto the road without properly announcing themselves. Roads must be carefully scanned and checked far ahead, just for safety. (OP lives in Alaska, so she already knows that)

Other drivers on long stretches can be dozy, which can make them a danger. In the mountains, there can be large rocks in the road.

Driving out in the wide open countryside is safer than driving in a big city, but it still requires alert driving, not half attention on the road and half attention on a fussy child.

A two-year-old won't remember any of the the trip, or the wedding, or the relatives. It isn't going to be an enriching experience for the baby.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:21 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,235,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

A two-year-old won't remember any of the the trip, or the wedding, or the relatives. It isn't going to be an enriching experience for the baby.
I think this would be a torture for the baby and stressful and dangerous for the mother. They would have to stop every two hours at least and the trip will take ages. Typical two year old needs to spend time outside, needs to play and run, needs to eat the foods they are accustomed to. How could he/she feel being confined to the metal coffin for most of the day for 3 - 5 days straight. Not sure why the OP wants to torture her child this way over some weird no flying principle. To me, this plan is irresponsible...

If OP does not want to fly then she should take a ship/ferry or train. Anything is better than driving for such insane distances...

Old 04-05-2019, 01:17 AM

1,440 posts, read 824,719 times
The OP is nuts to consider doing this with a child, especially with the times she's proposing.

In the winter of 2008 I moved from Alaska to Georgia. I had to drive. I was a single, young, childless, healthy male at the time. It was still the craziest thing I have ever done.

Regarding northern Canada;

IT IS EASY TO DIE OUT THERE.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:34 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,916,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould;54851384[B
]Good Lord, what's with all the negative posts about travel on a travel forum?[/b]

Two year-olds don't have to face backwards with nothing to do or see. They can face forward, have a lap desk to play with things on, carry on with Mama as she drives, sing, ...

It's a long trip, but a doable one. I've done it. So have lots of mothers. We were crazy, of course. But we all survived and life rolled on. It wasn't hell on earth. Far from it.

If all we ever thought about was death and disaster, none of us would ever leave home.
Good Lord it's NOT negative posts on travel, it's negative posts on what the o/p is asking!! Driving by herself with a two years old from Alaska to the east coast. You have done a trip like this in a car by yourself with a two year old? It's not a car trip from say NYC to Miami, which is doable but that would also be torturous.

So please just stop saying we are all negative to travel, that's not the case at all.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:50 PM

278 posts, read 151,130 times
Default Cross-country Update

Hi everyone! A while back I caused an uproar when I asked for advice regarding a cross-country road trip with my toddler. I wanted to update you all with our plans, since many people expressed an interest in knowing what we decided and the trip is coming up next week.

The big news is that my husband has arranged things so that he'll be coming with us, which is a great relief. I was not particularly concerned about safety going on my own, but I was concerned about keeping DS happily occupied. DH has missed out on a lot of baby-time over the last few months with his job commitments, and DS in his turn wants daddy to play with him all the time, so I think they'll enjoy hanging out in the back seat and reading and playing games.

We've got an itinerary planned out with lodging every night, and while we do need to cover a good bit of ground every day, we're allowing time for plenty of stops and extra non-driving time every 2 or 3 days to recharge. We'll be visiting friends along the way and doing some market research for our business by stopping at similar stores for inspiration.

While I still have an awful lot of preparation to get done before we leave, I'm super excited and looking forward to our adventure! I'll try to keep you updated as we go. :-)

Old 07-18-2019, 11:33 AM

339 posts, read 119,567 times
I personally feel a lot better knowing your husband is coming.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:19 PM

9,840 posts, read 5,048,536 times
That's great news! Thanks for the update!

Old 07-18-2019, 01:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 2,535,860 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I missed the original thread but it's terrible people would say that. I've driven across the country with two toddler by myself.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-19-2019 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or