U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:33 AM

277 posts, read 150,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
with a 2yo on a 4,000 mile one-way Road trip.. ... I would bring a friend (for safety, care, company, if needed for a crisis, relief driver)

If you get deathly sick or injured (for any of many reasons), you could add a lot of stress to the situation.

As a 40+ yr CDL driver, I know stuff happens while on the road.

be safe for your family and others.
This is something I have considered, and have not ruled out. I don't tend to enjoy traveling companions, and space for a third person would be tight, but if I can find someone suitable who has a desire to be in the general vicinity of my destination for a week, it may work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
She asked if anyone has done this crazy driving with a 2 yr old and no help.
For whatever reasons flying is non negotiable.
She's driving regardless.
Bring lots of provisions, things to keep your 2 yr old baby satisfied and safe, back up gps, roadside hazard equipment, cash, gas can, first aid, and a weapon or two.
This is going to be a very stressful trip for both of you.
Sounds like the visit will be mostly driving than visiting.
But that's just me.
Good luck.
Thank you for understanding! It's interesting that no matter where I'm asking, despite trying to be very clear that I'm looking for roadtrip advice, I always get people trying to convince me to fly instead.

All of that is on my list! The only thing I'm not sure about is a weapon; it's nearly impossible to bring a firearm through Canada. At least it involved a whole lot of extra paperwork that we decided to skip in favor of having our guns shipped up when we moved. But you got me thinking, bear spray might be a good idea! Thanks!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I started to write you a rep with a note but accidentally sent it before I finished! Disregard it, it's truncated now.

I give you props for planning this trip and finding ways you don't have some down time, a more relaxed time for the trip. But planning to drive overnight with a two year a not be smart move. What if the car breaks down overnight? Or your son can't sleep and is crying or generally not happy to be in that car? Plus being overtired is not a good thing when there's only one person driving.

Sleepy driving is dangerous, compared to being on your cell phone or being intoxicated while driving... I have heard it's not much different. I'm not trying to be overly negative or critical. In fact, I think you're smart to post and get others opinions. Of course our opinions differ from yours and you know what's best for your family.

I just would be concerned for your little one to be safe with you. I worked at a preschool and we planned developmentally appropriate activities. We would never take a two-year-old to see a musical (unless it was short one), even if the subject age appropriate. It would be too much.

Your two year old would not have a great experience like older children and adults would have. He may remember it or a little of it but at times it may overtax him.

Best wishes and blessings to your family (esp. your brother and his fiancee) with this trip.
Thank you! As mentioned above, I have some flexibility to make sure I'm not driving while too tired, and I'm very aware of what that feels like as I used to drive for a living. We will sleep when needed, wherever that sleeping ends up happening. I'm definitely thinking I will need to allow a couple more days on either end to slow the pace a bit.

How the baby handles the drive is really my only concern. Maybe we will try to do an overnight trip in the next few weeks to see how he does. While he won't remember specifics I think he can potentially get valuable learning and exploring out of it, plus he might like to have a record of a visit with his family to look back on. For what it's worth, I've already told both sets of parents that if we do this and we get on the road and he's miserable, I will turn around and go back if I need to!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 AM

4,440 posts, read 1,683,451 times
Someone mentioned this above, the importance of making the trip at all. Personally, I have a hard time fathoming why one would travel across an ocean or a continent to sit for an hour in attendance at a wedding, funeral, graduation, etc. But then I drove to Panama for a more trivial reason than that. My motivation would have to be the road trip itself. I hope yours is.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM

5,802 posts, read 6,583,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Not driving through the night, no; we would sleep at campsites or rest stops the nights we don't get a hotel (as we did when driving up the first time.) I'm flexible enough in scheduling that I could do a hotel evdry night if it turns out to be necessary.

I had been thinking a more ambitious 600 miles/day or so,but I will redo the itinerary with a more conservative figure and see what I come up with. Thanks!
Defiantly cut back on the miles you expect to do per day. For the 2 year old, being strapped in a car seat for over 12 hours per day, for 7 straight days, can't be healthy.

You should shoot for 9-10 days each way, at a leisurely pace, stopping every two hours to change a diaper or give the kid a bottle. Plus stretch your legs as well.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:07 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,036,218 times
Quote:
Thanks! It is not fear of flying, but unwillingness to go through the procedures currently required to get on an airplane. This is a philosophical principle for us and is non-negotiable;
Are you SERIOUS? Yes, it's a small PITA. But the system is there as added protection for you and your family. I guess you have philosophical principles against the government requiring seatbelts and babyseats?

Add to this craziness that you're planning on sleeping in rest stops. You consider THAT a safe place for you and baby to sleep? I'm not even going to think about how uncomfortable it will be for all of you as you TRY to sleep sitting up in barely reclined car seats.

Keeping a kid strapped into a baby seat for 10+ driving hours a day plus nights in that rest stop strikes me as kinda abusive (philosophically speaking? Not. Isn't this sometimes how homeless people lose custody of their kids?)

Then you come up with the idea of bringing a weapon. Now here's a philosophical principle i can get behind: guns and children don't mix. There's no sure way to secure a pistol in a car. Bear spray? Yeah, that's another great thing to have around an inquisitive kid.

Quote:
While he won't remember specifics I think he can potentially get valuable learning and exploring out of it, plus he might like to have a record of a visit with his family to look back on.
If you truly believe this rubbish, the more valuable learning experience will be flying on a plane.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:11 AM

356 posts, read 83,973 times
How many one-way miles, exactly, are we talking? The "east coast" is big, as is Alaska of course.

Thinking back on when our kids were 2yo, I think the most we could drive in a reasonable but purposeful day was maybe 300 miles. I'd imagine some days you might get more, but some days less, like when your child has a bad day. Your goal of 600 miles, that's driving 10 hours at an even 60mph with no stops. Think about that math, and think about how often you'd stop to care for yourself and your child, where you're proceeding at exactly zero MPH.

It sounds like you're dead-set to do this but I think it's dicey.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 AM

15,079 posts, read 19,036,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post

Definition:

dic·ey

unpredictable and potentially dangerous.
"the lot of a wanderer is always dicey"
synonyms: risky, uncertain, unpredictable, touch-and-go, precarious, unsafe, dangerous, perilous, high-risk, hazardous, fraught with danger; tricky, ticklish, delicate, difficult, awkward, thorny, problematical, problematic; unchancy; informalchancy, hairy, sticky, iffy; informaldodgy; informalgnarly; archaicparlous
"refuelling at sea is a bit dicey in bad weather

Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,642,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
Dicey? I think it's stupid, terrible, abusive. I feel so sorry for that little kid, stuck for umpteen hours in a car seat. Please, OP, don't do this to your child!

Old 03-25-2019, 10:08 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,067,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are you SERIOUS? Yes, it's a small PITA. But the system is there as added protection for you and your family. I guess you have philosophical principles against the government requiring seatbelts and babyseats?

Add to this craziness that you're planning on sleeping in rest stops. You consider THAT a safe place for you and baby to sleep? I'm not even going to think about how uncomfortable it will be for all of you as you TRY to sleep sitting up in barely reclined car seats.

Keeping a kid strapped into a baby seat for 10+ driving hours a day plus nights in that rest stop strikes me as kinda abusive (philosophically speaking? Not. Isn't this sometimes how homeless people lose custody of their kids?)

Then you come up with the idea of bringing a weapon. Now here's a philosophical principle i can get behind: guns and children don't mix. There's no sure way to secure a pistol in a car. Bear spray? Yeah, that's another great thing to have around an inquisitive kid.

If you truly believe this rubbish, the more valuable learning experience will be flying on a plane.
yes - sleeping at rest stops is very risky.

Google rest stop murders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or