U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 AM

356 posts, read 83,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Dicey? I think it's stupid, terrible, abusive. I feel so sorry for that little kid, stuck for umpteen hours in a car seat. Please, OP, don't do this to your child!
I was trying to be polite.

But look...the math is interesting.

In the absence of better info, I used a 4,355 mile one-way from Anchorage to NYC.

The OP first thought 7-8 days, let's go with 8.

That's a raw average of 544 miles per day.

Let's say there are 4 one-hour stops through each day (even that is stretching it with a 2yo) so maybe what, 9 hours of pure driving? That implies an average speed, while driving, of 60MPH.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 10:16 AM

31,599 posts, read 19,939,787 times
Yes, it is crazy, and completely unsafe to be sleeping in rest stops and such. If it were just you I wouldn't care but I think you are being an irresponsible parent.

Just my opinion.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-25-2019, 12:24 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm in total agreement. In fact, I'll take it one step further. I wouldn't do it in the car at all. There's NOTHING that is an emergency/required trip to make that worthwhile. Especially since you have to go BACK to Alaska, too.
Yes! We took trips of much shorter duration (Denver to the Delaware seashore, with a few days in Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) at my parents' on the way to Delaware, about 2000 miles. That was fine. Going back was a PITA. This was with two kids, school age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It will be a 5 hour trip on the plane it will be an exhausting 7 day each way in the car. i cant imagine the procedures are so bad that a 7 day each way drive from h ell is preferable.
What aspect of the flying procedure is your cause for concern?
5 hours on the plane? It's 4 hours from Denver to New York/Boston. The shortest flight I could find from Anchorage (had to pick one Alaskan city with an airport) to NYC is 8 hr 45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
She asked if anyone has done this crazy driving with a 2 yr old and no help.
For whatever reasons flying is non negotiable.
She's driving regardless.
Bring lots of provisions, things to keep your 2 yr old baby satisfied and safe, back up gps, roadside hazard equipment, cash, gas can, first aid, and a weapon or two.
This is going to be a very stressful trip for both of you.
Sounds like the visit will be mostly driving than visiting.
But that's just me.
Good luck.
People are telling the truth. This is a poor plan. Sometimes these "philosophical" stances amount to shooting yourself in the foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Not driving through the night, no; we would sleep at campsites or rest stops the nights we don't get a hotel (as we did when driving up the first time.) I'm flexible enough in scheduling that I could do a hotel evdry night if it turns out to be necessary.

I had been thinking a more ambitious 600 miles/day or so,but I will redo the itinerary with a more conservative figure and see what I come up with. Thanks!
Some rest stops do not allow overnight stays.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:41 PM

12,550 posts, read 7,520,870 times
Quote:
For what it's worth, I've already told both sets of parents that if we do this and we get on the road and he's miserable, I will turn around and go back if I need to!
And what happens if he is fine the first few days, but then by day 5 is completely done with the road trip? Do you turn back and drive back to Alaska with a screaming child for 5 days, or do you continue on to your destination for another 3-5 days, and then hope that he's better a week later?

Sorry, it sounds like this trip could very easily turn stressful for both you and the kid. If he had been on long road trips before, that would be one thing. But since his longest trip has only been 2 hours, putting him in the car for 7+ days straight for 12 hours each day sounds like a disaster. And then also expecting him to sleep in the car for half the nights? Is he going to sleep in his car seat? That much time in a car seat can't be good for him.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:45 PM

277 posts, read 149,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Someone mentioned this above, the importance of making the trip at all. Personally, I have a hard time fathoming why one would travel across an ocean or a continent to sit for an hour in attendance at a wedding, funeral, graduation, etc. But then I drove to Panama for a more trivial reason than that. My motivation would have to be the road trip itself. I hope yours is.
Absolutely! I love driving, I love the adventure of road trips. It's also for a lot more than an hour wedding- we'd be visiting for a week, and seeing family we haven't seen for 7 years (and that have never met baby at all.) I've been itching to do this trip again almost since we got up here. This provided an opportunity and other plans we have mean that it's not necessarily something we can work in two or three years when baby's older; plus, honestly, driving with a 4 or 5 year old sounds much more exhausting than at 2! But since I've never done a trip like this with a young child, I wanted feedback on that aspect. I've sure gotten it in spades, some more constructive than others! Thanks for being one of the constructive ones.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:54 PM

356 posts, read 83,108 times
Quote:
Absolutely! I love driving, I love the adventure of road trips. It's also for a lot more than an hour wedding- we'd be visiting for a week, and seeing family we haven't seen for 7 years (and that have never met baby at all.) I've been itching to do this trip again almost since we got up here. This provided an opportunity and other plans we have mean that it's not necessarily something we can work in two or three years when baby's older; plus, honestly, driving with a 4 or 5 year old sounds much more exhausting than at 2! But since I've never done a trip like this with a young child, I wanted feedback on that aspect. I've sure gotten it in spades, some more constructive than others! Thanks for being one of the constructive ones.
Our kids were generally wonderful to travel with right up through 20 months, then HORRIBLE for their 3s and it didn't get better til they passed 4

Old 03-25-2019, 01:55 PM

12,550 posts, read 7,520,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
5 hours on the plane? It's 4 hours from Denver to New York/Boston. The shortest flight I could find from Anchorage (had to pick one Alaskan city with an airport) to NYC is 8 hr 45 minutes.
Even 9 hours in a plane is better than 20 days in the car. The plane ride is shorter than even one day in the car.

Quote:
Some rest stops do not allow overnight stays.
I think almost every rest stop has signs that state "No Overnight Parking". I would think those rest stops are heavily patrolled by highway patrol at night, so if the OP does try to sleep at one, she'll probably end up with someone taping on her window telling her to move along at some point during the night. Then what? She's driving on a few hours of sleep to the next destination? Or looking for the next rest stop and only getting a few hours of sleep at each one?

We're driving to Florida in 2 months. It's about a 12-hour drive. Even just one 12 hour drive is rough. I'm already not looking forward to the drive. I can't imagine getting up every day for over a week and doing another 12-hour drive. And then to do it all again about a week later? Alone with a 2-year-old?!

Old 03-25-2019, 02:13 PM

277 posts, read 149,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
How many one-way miles, exactly, are we talking? The "east coast" is big, as is Alaska of course.

Thinking back on when our kids were 2yo, I think the most we could drive in a reasonable but purposeful day was maybe 300 miles. I'd imagine some days you might get more, but some days less, like when your child has a bad day. Your goal of 600 miles, that's driving 10 hours at an even 60mph with no stops. Think about that math, and think about how often you'd stop to care for yourself and your child, where you're proceeding at exactly zero MPH.

It sounds like you're dead-set to do this but I think it's dicey.
Thank you. Your estimate downthread was close- Anchorage to Gettysburg, about 4200 miles. My math for 7 days had it at an average of 10 moving hours per day. At resting/stretching a half-hour for every hour driving, that gives us 9 hours a day for a full stop overnight. I had thought to spread that unevenly so as to allow a shorter, 6-7 hour sleep alternating with a more restful 12 hours at a hotel.

No, I'm not dead-set on the trip, though I personally find the prospect exciting. I don't find it useful to add a hypothetical "*if* we go" every post. I'm certainly considering the feedback, especially those personal experiences which directly relate. *If* we go, (ha) I will definitely adjust my schedule to allow additional flexibility on both ends!

Old 03-25-2019, 02:14 PM

34,356 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

i stand corrected as its closer to a 9 hour flight, which with a 2 year old is infinitely preferable to the 80 hour one way driving time with a 2 year old howling in the back for most of the trip. Are you crazy? thoughtless is a more befitting descriptor.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:23 PM

22,653 posts, read 28,672,666 times
My kid traveled really well when he was 2 years old. He camped really well, too. But we never went more than about 5 hours and that was with two adults, so there was always someone to focus on the baby if he needed anything, and a two year old is going to need a lot of things that you can't do while you are driving. There were also two drivers to switch off, so the drivers didn't get tired.

I've driven all the way across the continental USA, twice, but not back to back. It is exhausting. It's a very long drive.

On the bright side, weather should be good for you in August, and you will go through some nice scenery.

Your initial question was about whether or not you are crazy. The Magic 8 Ball says "yes".

I hope your baby is not a crier and is not cutting teeth. Be sure to give an antihistamine and a mild over-the-counter pain killer before crossing high mountains to help with his ears popping and clogging up.

Best luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or