U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 PM

22,709 posts, read 28,757,635 times

Advertisements

Hey, maybe you could blog it and make a few dollars to help pay for gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 02:26 PM

21,179 posts, read 11,803,134 times
I don't know your kid, but I know that at age 2, that would have been considered torture by my kid and that's based on flying with him, where I was able to interact and try to keep him busy and happy. You'd be driving 60+ miles an hour on a highway, with no safe way to interact with your (presumably rear facing for safety) kid and do things to distract him after he ran out of patience about being strapped into a car seat for 12 hours a day, days on end.

Put me on the bench with those who think this is a terrible idea. Sorry.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM

277 posts, read 150,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes! We took trips of much shorter duration (Denver to the Delaware seashore, with a few days in Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) at my parents' on the way to Delaware, about 2000 miles. That was fine. Going back was a PITA. This was with two kids, school age.

5 hours on the plane? It's 4 hours from Denver to New York/Boston. The shortest flight I could find from Anchorage (had to pick one Alaskan city with an airport) to NYC is 8 hr 45 minutes.

People are telling the truth. This is a poor plan. Sometimes these "philosophical" stances amount to shooting yourself in the foot.

Some rest stops do not allow overnight stays.
Thank you for your constructive feedback. When I looked at tickets, plane travel time appeared to be at minimum 15 hours, and round-trip tickets for myself and baby are more expensive than I expect round-trip gas to be. But really, that's irrelevant, because flying is not an option regardless.

We had no trouble finding places to sleep when we moved up here, though perhaps things have changed in 7 years. The Milepost covers options on the Alaska Highway, and every truck stop I've ever seen in the lower 48 has semis parked overnight. But I am definitely adjusting toward a potential plan that includes time to stop at a hotel every night, rather than every other.

We were aware moving up that this philosophical stance would require sacrifices. I didn't expect we'd be able to afford a trip back for at least another 5 years; the fact that it's doable now has me probably getting ahead of myself because of the prospect of seeing my family and introducing my (obviously best in the whole world) baby. The feedback here, while occasionally unnecessarily harsh, has given me pause.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:35 PM

277 posts, read 150,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My kid traveled really well when he was 2 years old. He camped really well, too. But we never went more than about 5 hours and that was with two adults, so there was always someone to focus on the baby if he needed anything, and a two year old is going to need a lot of things that you can't do while you are driving. There were also two drivers to switch off, so the drivers didn't get tired.

I've driven all the way across the continental USA, twice, but not back to back. It is exhausting. It's a very long drive.

On the bright side, weather should be good for you in August, and you will go through some nice scenery.

Your initial question was about whether or not you are crazy. The Magic 8 Ball says "yes".

I hope your baby is not a crier and is not cutting teeth. Be sure to give an antihistamine and a mild over-the-counter pain killer before crossing high mountains to help with his ears popping and clogging up.

Best luck to you.

Thank you so much! It's a lot to think about. If we do decide to go, I'll send you a link to the blog.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:40 PM

12,655 posts, read 7,564,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
and every truck stop I've ever seen in the lower 48 has semis parked overnight.
Are you driving a semi truck cross country?

Roadside stops that have overnight parking for semis typically have signs prohibiting overnight parking for cars.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,307,633 times
Is your baby still in diapers? Also the baby's car seat is he still rear facing or forward facing? I am assuming he is walking, right?

My only concern would be keeping the baby with you, in your presence, every minute of each day. Using the restroom, putting gas in your car or anything that demands your attention. People snatch babies so often. Also Rest Stop Areas are not safe places just beware of trying to sleep there.

Make sure your vehicle is in good shape and you seem to already know the things you will need to have with you. Don't forget Fix-A-Flat. Also as you drive make sure you look for Hospital road sign, just in case, you never know when you might need to find one quickly.

I think this will be a rough trip and a motel/hotel every night might be a better idea for the baby giving him a space to move around and a good warm bath.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:50 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Is your baby still in diapers? Also the baby's car seat is he still rear facing or forward facing? I am assuming he is walking, right?

My only concern would be keeping the baby with you, in your presence, every minute of each day. Using the restroom, putting gas in your car or anything that demands your attention. People snatch babies so often. Also Rest Stop Areas are not safe places just beware of trying to sleep there.

Make sure your vehicle is in good shape and you seem to already know the things you will need to have with you. Don't forget Fix-A-Flat. Also as you drive make sure you look for Hospital road sign, just in case, you never know when you might need to find one quickly.

I think this will be a rough trip and a motel/hotel every night might be a better idea for the baby giving him a space to move around and a good warm bath.
That's your only concern? I have a ton of concerns, most of which I've expressed. I agree on a hotel/motel every night. I'd also recommend stopping at about 6 PM so LO has some time to play each day.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Your estimate downthread was close- Anchorage to Gettysburg, about 4200 miles. My math for 7 days had it at an average of 10 moving hours per day. At resting/stretching a half-hour for every hour driving, that gives us 9 hours a day for a full stop overnight.
Obviously you know what works best for your child, but for me, I would do fewer stops. Instead of a bunch of short stops, I would find something cool to do along that day's route. I'd try to set up a schedule of eating breakfast at the hotel, leaving by 7-8am, driving 3-4 hours, stop for gas/lunch/fun activity for about 2 hours, and then drive another 4-5 hours to the next hotel. Or maybe lunch, drive another 2 hours, fun activity, and then 3 hours to hotel. Maybe do 2-3 childrens museums across the country, a petting zoo, park, nature trails...

Only having 9 hours to rest up at the hotel doesn't seem like enough time each night. I would rather have about 12 hours. 3 hours to relax in the evening, 8 hours of sleep, and another hour in the morning to get ready and eat breakfast. You are not going to get enough sleep on a 9 hour stop between showering, getting your child and yourself ready for bed, and then having to get up and get ready to go.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your constructive feedback. When I looked at tickets, plane travel time appeared to be at minimum 15 hours, and round-trip tickets for myself and baby are more expensive than I expect round-trip gas to be. But really, that's irrelevant, because flying is not an option regardless.
But then you also have to account for hotel stays, the cost of meals along the way, activities, extras to entertain the kid in the car, wear and tear to your car... It's going to add up. The price of a road trip is much more than just the price of gas.

And then consider what your time and sanity is worth. You want to do 15 hours on the road for 14 days.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:11 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,675,599 times
We have driven from Florida to Connecticut with young children. I think the first time we did it, my youngest was 3. We did it each way in two long days of driving and it was rough the second day up and the entire ride back.

I had the benefit of having my husband and my teenage exchange student along. The teenager helped entertain the kids in the back, and for some of it, I hopped in back, too. (It was a minivan.) There were tantrums and tears and wails of "I'm bored!" "My legs hurt!" "My back hurts!" "I have to go potty RIGHT NOW!!!" (While we were stopped in traffic) Etc. Plus of course my own legs and back hurt and I also had to go potty.

Honestly, I wouldn't put myself through that. You are talking about 14-16 days in a car. It is going to be miserable for you and for him. Also, you will spend your entire vacation dreading the ride home. Put aside your philosophical objections, suck it up, and waste a day one each end at the airport and on the plane. At least the misery will be limited to a couple of days rather than a couple weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or