U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 03:26 PM

31,667 posts, read 19,968,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i stand corrected as its closer to a 9 hour flight, which with a 2 year old is infinitely preferable to the 80 hour one way driving time with a 2 year old howling in the back for most of the trip. Are you crazy? thoughtless is a more befitting descriptor.
I know a flight is off the table for the OP, but at least on a plane you can attend to the child, you can't do that while driving.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 03:29 PM

31,667 posts, read 19,968,456 times
What about driving to an Amtrak and taking the train cross country?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What about driving to an Amtrak and taking the train cross country?
Ferry to Bellingham, WA

Alaska State Ferry | Alaska Marine Highway System

and catch Amtrak (no car / plane needed)

Ferries and Trains continue to make forward progress while you are sleeping and while attending to your child.

Or could do a Cross Canada rail, Or a different route each direction.

Could be fun.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:50 PM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,337 posts, read 1,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Thank you! As mentioned above, I have some flexibility to make sure I'm not driving while too tired, and I'm very aware of what that feels like as I used to drive for a living. We will sleep when needed, wherever that sleeping ends up happening. I'm definitely thinking I will need to allow a couple more days on either end to slow the pace a bit.

How the baby handles the drive is really my only concern. Maybe we will try to do an overnight trip in the next few weeks to see how he does. While he won't remember specifics I think he can potentially get valuable learning and exploring out of it, plus he might like to have a record of a visit with his family to look back on. For what it's worth, I've already told both sets of parents that if we do this and we get on the road and he's miserable, I will turn around and go back if I need to!
Very smart! Good for you for all of your preparation. You will do well with all you're planning. :-)

Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 PM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know a flight is off the table for the OP, but at least on a plane you can attend to the child, you can't do that while driving.
The op has never said why a plane is out of the question. if its about being subjected to a security check wait till you get to the Canadian border and you tell them of your intentions. They will want a letter from hubby oking permission to travel with baby. a passport will be required to re enter the USA, be prepared to show them that you have sufficient funds to make the trip,and if youve ever been arrested they will want to know everything about it.
Out of curiosity what model of car are you going to use for the trip?.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 PM

4,990 posts, read 8,074,415 times
Wow, 2 hours in the car with a kid that age was too much for me, and way too much for the kids.

I didn't read all the posts.........but by age 2, the kid will understand what is going after a few days; mommy is driving forever, not paying attention to me, and I sit in this stupid car seat for 10 hours a day, then sleep in said stupid car, where is daddy again, why can't I get up and move?

At some point, the kid will probably refuse to be in the car at all without screaming his/her head off. It could be literally 2 straight weeks of tantrum behavior you will have to "undo." I hope I'm wrong, but I can't say I have ever met a 2 year old (and I have met a lot, my wife runs a day care) that could handle that. Most I know would completely flip out, it isn't natural or normal for a child of that age to be strapped in a seat that long for that many days.

Fly, take a train, don't get 1,000 miles into your trip only to realize the kid isn't going to stop crying, then still have to drive 1,000 miles back home.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-25-2019 at 07:32 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 07:24 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
The op has never said why a plane is out of the question. if its about being subjected to a security check wait till you get to the Canadian border and you tell them of your intentions. They will want a letter from hubby oking permission to travel with baby. a passport will be required to re enter the USA, be prepared to show them that you have sufficient funds to make the trip,and if youve ever been arrested they will want to know everything about it.
Yes, that occurred to me, too.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,679,321 times
Quote:
Yes, she said it was due to objections to security. Not a fear of flying.

I mentioned earlier about the Canadian border, you worded it better.

The airport security will be a walk in the park compared to crossing into Canada.

This whole idea is ridiculous and dangerous, she also mentioned sleeping at rest stops. Sounds like a good way to end up on Dateline NBC.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Wow, 2 hours in the car with a kid that age was too much for me, and way too much for the kids.
At some point, the kid will probably refuse to be in the car at all without screaming his/her head off. It could be literally 2 straight weeks of tantrum behavior you will have to "undo." ...

Fly, take a train, don't get 1,000 miles into your trip only to realize the kid isn't going to stop crying, then still have to drive 1,000 miles back home.
awe, "Precious Memories... how they linger"...

We had (2) in car seats / diapers and took off in the VW camper van "for some Fun"... Mind you... (2 drivers / diaper changers / relief sleeping / care givers)

We were out for ~ 5 weeks. / 7500 miles

At about 4500 miles something triggered the "I am sick and tired of this" in the kids (who knows why or what). Very travel experienced family / kids. Gone most the time.
but... when we made yet one more turn the opposite way of 'home' (that sounded like fun! at the time).
they had had enough!!! and started crying and fussing and did so for more than one week straight. 100% of the day (and night).

When we arrived home they 'escaped' to their rooms and we didn't hear a peep out of them for weeks!, Nor were they willing / keen on road trips for the next 20 yrs.

'Something snapped', not sure they ever recovered.

TB (tired butts)

Old 03-26-2019, 02:24 AM

277 posts, read 149,777 times
Lest you think I have disappeared, I have purposefully not engaged in discussing why we won't fly because it is irrelevant to the question at hand. It's also quite apparent that my concerns (all of which center on the safety and well-being of my child, incidentally) would be dismissed or outright mocked if I shared them. I have been through the border crossing and know what to expect. Suffice it to say that I find that the risk involved in the latter to be acceptable while the former is not.

I have a well-maintained and reliable vehicle with fewer than 30k miles on it, and I have AAA plus. I don't fall for overblown sensationalism and I'm not inclined to make decisions based on emotional appeals to fear, so no, axe murderers at a rest stop are not particularly going to factor in my decision any more than worrying about a landslide sweeping us off the road in the Rockies.

Once again I thank those of you who have offered helpful advice and raised concerns respectfully. You have given me many things to consider and I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or