U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:25 PM

278 posts, read 150,428 times

Advertisements

As my name might indicate, we live in Alaska. Both my and my husband's families live on the east cost. My younger brother is getting married in August and, naturally, I would like to be there. We won't fly, so if we go it will be a road trip. My husband will need to stay here to run our business, so it will be just me and my just-turned-two son.

I drove the whole way when we moved up, so I'm familiar with the trip, but the most we've traveled with the baby has been about two hours. He does well in the car and I expect to bring lots of snacks and budget plenty of extra time for stopping and stretching. I envision a lot of McDonald's Playlands involved!

I'm also working on getting my passport renewed and getting one for the little guy as well. I'm actually looking forward to doing the drive without hauling a trailer of everything I own in the world! We're figuring 7-8 days each way with a week to visit before turning around.

If you've done something crazy like this, what are your recommendations? What can you tell me that I might not have thought of? Thanks!

Moderator note: A second thread on this topic was merged into this thread on 07/19/2019. The updated portion starts at post #187.

Last edited by PJSaturn; Today at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,907,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
As my name might indicate, we live in Alaska. Both my and my husband's families live on the east cost. My younger brother is getting married in August and, naturally, I would like to be there. We won't fly, so if we go it will be a road trip. My husband will need to stay here to run our business, so it will be just me and my just-turned-two son.

I drove the whole way when we moved up, so I'm familiar with the trip, but the most we've traveled with the baby has been about two hours. He does well in the car and I expect to bring lots of snacks and budget plenty of extra time for stopping and stretching. I envision a lot of McDonald's Playlands involved!

I'm also working on getting my passport renewed and getting one for the little guy as well. I'm actually looking forward to doing the drive without hauling a trailer of everything I own in the world! We're figuring 7-8 days each way with a week to visit before turning around.

If you've done something crazy like this, what are your recommendations? What can you tell me that I might not have thought of? Thanks!
Is it a fear of flying? If not fly, that's a lot of hours in a car by yourself with a 2 year old. The cost of the road trip will be almost as much or more than airfare.

You don't need a passport to travel within the US, US Virgin Islands, Guam or Puerto Rico.

Can the drive be done with a 2 year old? Sure but you're going to be exhausted.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,859,665 times
"We won't fly" sounds like a choice, ... as is, "I will drive cross country with a 2-year old." (Unless there is a serious medical reason, what's the point?)

Sure, it 'can' be accomplished, but, it won't be enjoyable for him or you.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:35 PM

15,094 posts, read 19,047,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"We won't fly" sounds like a choice, ... as is, "I will drive cross country with a 2-year old." (Unless there is a serious medical reason, what's the point?)

Sure, it 'can' be accomplished, but, it won't be enjoyable for him or you.

I'm in total agreement. In fact, I'll take it one step further. I wouldn't do it in the car at all. There's NOTHING that is an emergency/required trip to make that worthwhile. Especially since you have to go BACK to Alaska, too.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:04 PM

28,543 posts, read 62,270,607 times
Quote:
...what are your recommendations? What can you tell me that I might not have thought of?
Don't expect to make the trip all in one go.

Beyond the drivers rest and weather delay aspects...
PLAN a day or two at ~Seattle then another day or two at ~Chicago before continuing to the end point.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:28 PM

278 posts, read 150,428 times
Thanks! It is not fear of flying, but unwillingness to go through the procedures currently required to get on an airplane. This is a philosophical principle for us and is non-negotiable; we knew it would make things difficult when we moved, but have so far found the sacrifice to be worthwhile.

It is unclear to me whether those of you who say it's not worth it are speaking from experience. I have heard horror stories and also stories from people who said a trip on this scale was a great experience for all involved.

We will need passports, because the drive requires going through Canada. No way around that, except for taking the ferry, which is prohibitively expensive. We expect this way to be slightly more expensive than flying, but not terribly so, especially since visiting both families would require another flight or a rental car.

Quote:
Don't expect to make the trip all in one go.

Beyond the drivers rest and weather delay aspects...
PLAN a day or two at ~Seattle then another day or two at ~Chicago before continuing to the end point.
This is helpful! I was thinking a hotel every other night, with a shorter day of driving on check-in day to allow for some rest and unwinding. We also have an extra day planned to visit friends about halfway through on the way there; it's probably a good idea to figure in a full day of rest on the way back somewhere too. I appreciate the responses!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,652 posts, read 40,020,325 times
with a 2yo on a 4,000 mile one-way Road trip.. ... I would bring a friend (for safety, care, company, if needed for a crisis, relief driver)

If you get deathly sick or injured (for any of many reasons), you could add a lot of stress to the situation.

As a 40+ yr CDL driver, I know stuff happens while on the road.

be safe for your family and others.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Quote:
This is helpful! I was thinking a hotel every other night, with a shorter day of driving on check-in day to allow for some rest and unwinding. We also have an extra day planned to visit friends about halfway through on the way there; it's probably a good idea to figure in a full day of rest on the way back somewhere too. I appreciate the responses!

SOunds like a recipe for disaster.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 PM

6,334 posts, read 5,072,656 times
At least take the ferry

If that is too expensive, it is probably too expensive to go on this trip at all. You need money for emergencies.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 PM

6,334 posts, read 5,072,656 times
I've flown from south texas to Alaska. Even that was a long trip.

We used to travel all over the country with the air force. For road trips we wouldn't go more than 400 miles in one day for safety reasons. Or maybe it was less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or