U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 PM

37,964 posts, read 55,708,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Stay at hostels, you'll meet lots of other solo travelers of all ages in a safe warm and friendly environment. They each have their own agenda, and often welcome strays to tag along with them for a day or two., For example, you can go to a gallery with someone who really knows art and is enthusiastic about mentoring for a day.

^^^ This is an excellent tip!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 11:28 PM

37,964 posts, read 55,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Europe. Just a week. 3 cities. 2 cities I know. Trying to figure out the last city.

Thanks, will check these out.
In your spare time check on some more tips from our members:
Help me pick a third European city to visit
Where to for a christmas market?
Traveling Solo Around Europe
Taking a first trip to Europe, but how to choose?
Help with Europe

Have fun planning and getting ready!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:15 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
I have done some solo trips. One needs a good attitude as well as always being aware of one's surroundings.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:43 AM

6,301 posts, read 3,566,992 times
Just got back from my annual winter vacation in Mexico. DH stayed one week but most of the time I go alone.

I don't care to stay in All-Inclusives. What you gain in safety you lose in cultural connection and there is a marked shortage of other women traveling single to engage in conversation.

I try to stay somewhere close to a town's hub where there will be a wide variety of people coming and going. Near a city park is a good spot.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Stay at hostels, you'll meet lots of other solo travelers of all ages in a safe warm and friendly environment. They each have their own agenda, and often welcome strays to tag along with them for a day or two., For example, you can go to a gallery with someone who really knows art and is enthusiastic about mentoring for a day.
I am not interested in hostels. I am kind of bougee lol but I will likely do a chain of some sort, Marriott et al. I'm late 30's and not single. Zero interest in hostels.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Just got back from my annual winter vacation in Mexico. DH stayed one week but most of the time I go alone.

I don't care to stay in All-Inclusives. What you gain in safety you lose in cultural connection and there is a marked shortage of other women traveling single to engage in conversation.

I try to stay somewhere close to a town's hub where there will be a wide variety of people coming and going. Near a city park is a good spot.
I hate all-inclusives. What is the point of traveling to a faraway land if you never leave the premises to actually see the place? I want to engage with locals, not other tourists likely from America.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:27 PM

13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times
I’ve done a lot of solo ski trips. 3 weeks in New Zealand. A couple weeks in Chile. Whistler many times. Steamboat a couple of times. Lots of long weekends in Europe when I was there on business. Lots of Colorado when I was there on business.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:32 PM

73 posts, read 41,787 times
I’ve traveled alone and I have to say I don’t always like it. Have had some situations…strangers coming up to me and asking for money, hitting on me. Can be stressful, long bus rides and trying to stay hyper aware of your surroundings is exhausting.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:33 PM

3,661 posts, read 6,482,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I hate all-inclusives. What is the point of traveling to a faraway land if you never leave the premises to actually see the place? I want to engage with locals, not other tourists likely from America.
You can leave the resort... We have done quite a few and we usually do 1 day on resort, 1 day/night off to shake it up.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
You can leave the resort... We have done quite a few and we usually do 1 day on resort, 1 day/night off to shake it up.
Ah. Some places are bad, like unsafe areas and people don't leave. I don't see the point in places like that. I did all-inclusive once. I don't like them either. I find them boring. I want to go to local places and eat local food with local people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel