U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:16 PM

4,687 posts, read 2,316,319 times

Advertisements

I’ve traveled solo most of the time. I’ve been to Europe five times. Love it. The one time I traveled with a friend there- not so lovely.

I’ve also stayed in hostels every time in Spain. Lovely experience. NOT a ‘youth ‘ hostel, but every bit as good as a four star hotel, which I’ve also used in Europe. If you’re going to Madrid, message me and I will give you info. I’ve also rented apartments in Salamanca and have been very fortunate. Everyone’s experience will be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:36 PM

4,400 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Hostels don't make sense for me. I am very well-off. I don't need to 'save money' and if I do, I'm not going to skimp on accomodations. Rather skimp elsewhere.

OK. My comment was to inform people that do need to skimp, and may otherwise be misinformed about the nature, not the cost, of hostels.

It is true that a hostel ma not be best for a traveling couple, who can often have a private double room as cheaply as two separate dorm beds.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 PM

47 posts, read 15,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Do you like solo traveling or do you not like it?
I do all the time.

Pros:
I get to do what I want, when I want.

Cons:
I don't get to enjoy a lot of the cool things I get to see with anyone, eating/drinking alone sucks.

Overall it depends on where I'm going whether or not I decide to go with someone. If I'm going somewhere where I'm going to be walking all day looking for eccentric things that only interest me, I go alone. If it's a chill/beach sort of vacation I always go with at least one person.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,444,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
OK. My comment was to inform people that do need to skimp, and may otherwise be misinformed about the nature, not the cost, of hostels.

It is true that a hostel ma not be best for a traveling couple, who can often have a private double room as cheaply as two separate dorm beds.
Yeah hostels are cool for college kids I guess.

I don't understand why anyone with money and over the age of 30 would choose to stay in one.

My husband loves them.

I don't get it.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:59 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,572,689 times
I just got back from 3 weeks in Africa, just me. I rented a 4x4 truck and drove it 2400 km (1400 miles), camping along the way. It was a ton of fun, I got up when I wanted, did side trips I wanted, had the whole car to myself, played the music I wanted. Dinners were a little lonely. I counted 34 different animals I saw including the "big five" (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, rhino) and 64 bird species. I am a 68 year old man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel