Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

I will be solo traveling in November for the first time ever!

Anyone have any tips? I am married but my husband will not have the time off work to go with me. I am a female in my late 30's.

Do you like solo traveling or do you not like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 02:33 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
There are recent threads on this forum about traveling solo.
Would you travel alone?
To encourage the solo traveler!
Traveling alone . . . good or bad idea?
Why I travel solo
Traveling solo
Traveling solo: Have you done it?

+ dozens more

Where are you going? Tips depend on that...

Old 03-25-2019, 02:44 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I was just about to comment that there are TONS of solo travel threads. But elnina beat me to it!!

(Seriously though, go to advanced search, and search thread titles only for "solo" ... you'll be overwhelmed with all the reading you can do on the subject)

Female in my mid-40s, and solo travel is my preferred method of travel. I get to do what I want to do, keep my own schedule, eat where I want to eat, shop where I want to shop, and no one is slowing me down or rushing me.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There are recent threads on this forum about traveling solo.
Would you travel alone?
To encourage the solo traveler!
Traveling alone . . . good or bad idea?
Why I travel solo
Traveling solo
Traveling solo: Have you done it?

+ dozens more

Where are you going? Tips depend on that...
Europe. Just a week. 3 cities. 2 cities I know. Trying to figure out the last city.

Thanks, will check these out.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:05 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Which two cities?

Over the last 4 years or so I've taken 2 solo trips to Europe, plus one recently where my wife flew back from Spain and I went to Hungary for 4 nights, with another one coming up in 30 days! (not that I am counting)

I love it. The one thing that I struggle with though, inherently I want to sleep in and I end up getting a really late start. When I travel with someone, I am way more motivated to get out and see stuff.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Which two cities?

Over the last 4 years or so I've taken 2 solo trips to Europe, plus one recently where my wife flew back from Spain and I went to Hungary for 4 nights, with another one coming up in 30 days! (not that I am counting)

I love it. The one thing that I struggle with though, inherently I want to sleep in and I end up getting a really late start. When I travel with someone, I am way more motivated to get out and see stuff.
I'll be up in the Nordic region and yes I'm aware Nov will be cold and not much daylight, lol … but as you would guess (or maybe not), I got cheap airfare … b/c it's cold lol … probably off-season. But I'm excited b/c based on my reading, it may be the time when these cities get 'Christmas-fied' lol so hope I can see some Christmas markets.

I think those places are good for women in terms of safety. Last year I had one day in Prague alone and then my husband met up with me. It was fine.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:41 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Cool, you can check online, some places already have their christmas market schedule out.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:48 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Yep, I have done solo traveling, although not as much in the last 10 years. There are pluses and minuses. the main pluses are that you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want without having to worry about getting someone to agree with you. The main minuses are that you do have to be a bit more concerned about safety. I love hiking, and major hiking expeditions just aren’t safe to do alone. If you are in a busy place at a peak season it is not a big deal, but in off-peak times, it can be more problematic. I have done most of my solo traveling in Europe- Denmark, Sweden, Italy, Slovenia, and Prague mostly. I’ve also done a solo trip to DC although I met up with a friend for a lot of the time (I did not stay with her though) and am hoping to do some more local weekend trips this summer.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Stay at hostels, you'll meet lots of other solo travelers of all ages in a safe warm and friendly environment. They each have their own agenda, and often welcome strays to tag along with them for a day or two., For example, you can go to a gallery with someone who really knows art and is enthusiastic about mentoring for a day.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
My DW did the Christmas Markets solo (more than once!)
Likely this yr as well.

She has a GREAT time. Met up with friends in Austria and Germany and Switzerland, had more great times.

We stay here: (for last 30 yrs) https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange
Free to $20 / night WW.
Never have needed to try Couchsurfing.
7 Air B&B's (they were not good) but thousands of GREAT 'free' hosts, each with a passion to host! (for far less $$ and trouble).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel