U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:25 PM

9,780 posts, read 4,995,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Many hotels that auto check you out at the end of the stay will slide a completed folio under the door around 3:00 am on departure day
Many of them are even doing away with the printed folio (unnecessary paper) and opting for email when possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 01:41 PM

7,095 posts, read 3,456,394 times
We now rent houses or penthouse apartments via VRBO, Homestay, AirBnB. However, we will stay in Bed and Breakfast that do not have in-room TVs or stereos...they seem to attract like-minded quiet folks. Also many of these B&Bs are in old brick or stone houses that have thick walls. But even at these, we always stay on the topmost floor. Can't believe the number of people who clomp around in hard sole shoes or high heels on hardwood floors, hence our need for top floor or PH's.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:03 PM
DKM

2,820 posts, read 1,004,343 times
The higher gaps under doors are an air circulation feature for some places.

They build whatever is cheapest. They don't care if people can't actually sleep in their rooms. Its all about return on investment. Some have automatically slamming doors that shake the rooms and those I hate the most.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:46 PM

118 posts, read 95,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
My last stay at a Westin wasn't pleasant.

Yes, the bed was still comfortable and the decor was what I liked.

But I had trouble sleeping because the whole building had thin walls that provided almost no soundproof at all, I could hear noise from almost all my neighbors and possibly elevator(my room wasn't even adjacent to the elevator!).

It seems that most hotels are focusing on more presentable aspects like design and look, not many care about soundproof. It's ridiculously difficult to find a quiet hotel. The fact that many hotels are located in noisy neighborhoods makes it worse.

Now I prefer Airbnb slightly. It's not hard to find an Airbnb rental in a quiet neighborhood, away from highways, bars, other guests if you are willing to pay a premium for the whole house. Still more cost effective than 5-star luxury hotels(The Peninsula, Four Seasons, etc) in secluded locations.
Many hotels and apartments seem to have the same wood-framed lack of soundproofing with no double-studded walls. Cement floors are mandatory above a certain height (varies) but that doesn't apply to many hotels, and you still get thin adjoining walls.

The larger issue is that noise isn't taken seriously enough as a societal problem, even though it chronically affects health. You also have fools who think more noise is better and could care less about others. I wonder how many of them are in the construction business?

Old 06-03-2019, 12:16 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,781,929 times
My work is in modular construction hotels, which is more or less where the industry is headed as far as new construction goes. One of the nice features of a modular build is that the rooms are double insulated since each hotel room is placed by a crane next to the other. Technically, rooms aren't so much sharing walls as they each have their own separate walls. The effect is basically that you shouldn't hear your neighbors.

I suppose that knowledge might be more helpful if these uniquely-constructed hotels advertised that they were modular, but it's unlikely that they do. You might have luck aiming for staying at a new hotel and asking someone in management prior to booking.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:52 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Budget hotels in Hong Kong are the epitome of no sound proofing. They take existing spaces and partition them into as many tiny little rooms as possible using not much more than plywood. I've heard everything from neighboring guests snoring to the sound of a bottle opening to some seriously marathon **** sessions. Not recommended for light sleepers.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:59 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,278 times
The only way to guarantee no noise is if you rent a whole house, period. No condos, hotels, rooms, etc, could give you that. The only exception is if you stay in a secluded farm that shuts down at sun down and everyone is in bed by 9pm.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 AM

2,369 posts, read 7,758,843 times
I am renting an airbnb apartment in Leipzig, Germany on a monthly basis. It is a renovated apartment in an old building dating to the 1890s. The building has one foot or more thick masonry (stone) walls on the exterior, and from what I can tell, masonry walls between apartments. I have not heard any of my neighbors yet. The entrance door is heavy, solid wood going into the stairwell. I have not heard any plumbing noise either from other apartments. There is a little car noise from the street in front of the building, but is is a lightly traveled neighborhood street, not a main street (no trucks, buses or streetcars). All in all, far better than a hotel at a fraction of the price.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 804,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I am renting an airbnb apartment in Leipzig, Germany on a monthly basis. It is a renovated apartment in an old building dating to the 1890s. The building has one foot or more thick masonry (stone) walls on the exterior, and from what I can tell, masonry walls between apartments. I have not heard any of my neighbors yet. The entrance door is heavy, solid wood going into the stairwell. I have not heard any plumbing noise either from other apartments. There is a little car noise from the street in front of the building, but is is a lightly traveled neighborhood street, not a main street (no trucks, buses or streetcars). All in all, far better than a hotel at a fraction of the price.
I haven't found a great apartment like this in where I live.

Maybe standards are generally higher in Germany? The hotels in Germany are probably better too?

Old 06-06-2019, 01:03 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Our apartment in Lisbon right now has good soundproofing from neighbors since we've got both floors and although attached in rows each building is its own building with load bearing structure.

The problem is the street noise. It's not that busy a street but only one narrow lane with buildings on each side so lots of echo, it seems at least once per night I'm woken up by packs of inebriated people walking by talking loudly or even singing/yelling. It doesn't wake my wife up but I'm a much lighter sleeper, and I get it when I was in my 20s I'd be wandering around drunk at 2:00 am with my friends as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel