U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:57 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,911,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Our apartment in Lisbon right now has good soundproofing from neighbors since we've got both floors and although attached in rows each building is its own building with load bearing structure.

The problem is the street noise. It's not that busy a street but only one narrow lane with buildings on each side so lots of echo, it seems at least once per night I'm woken up by packs of inebriated people walking by talking loudly or even singing/yelling. It doesn't wake my wife up but I'm a much lighter sleeper, and I get it when I was in my 20s I'd be wandering around drunk at 2:00 am with my friends as well.
Yeah, reminds me of Sevilla. You won't be able to open the windows for fresh air at night because of some drunks singing or yelling to each other, or the clip clop sound of the horses passing by on that narrow lane under your windows. The echo from the noise hitting the cobblestones seems to be worse than a tarred road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 11:09 PM

904 posts, read 331,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Our apartment in Lisbon right now has good soundproofing from neighbors since we've got both floors and although attached in rows each building is its own building with load bearing structure.

The problem is the street noise. It's not that busy a street but only one narrow lane with buildings on each side so lots of echo, it seems at least once per night I'm woken up by packs of inebriated people walking by talking loudly or even singing/yelling. It doesn't wake my wife up but I'm a much lighter sleeper, and I get it when I was in my 20s I'd be wandering around drunk at 2:00 am with my friends as well.
You might be happier here in Australia. Lately it seems the whole country goes to bed at about 9pm. I was just having a whinge to my daughter about this as it can be extremely boring for night owls.

On the other side, no sleeping in here. Planes overhead at 6am, traffic starts at about 5am, my local coffee shop opens at 4 30 am.

But I also hate noisy hotels and find the best tend to be chains like Holiday Inn. Europe is much better than here or the US. The design trend here against carpet manages to create not only noisy hotels and apartments but also extremely noisy restaurants where nobody can hear themselves think!

Old 06-07-2019, 12:54 AM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
The design trend here against carpet manages to create not only noisy hotels and apartments but also extremely noisy restaurants where nobody can hear themselves think!
Yeah Asia. They love having gleaming hallways of flat light colored tile, the better to ensure you can really hear the Chinese tourists down the hall who booked three rooms for their large family group then propped all their doors open so they could communicate by shouting.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:11 PM

56,083 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Argh, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night where, I later found, three college women's Lacrosse teams stayed for a local tournament.

The shrieking voices and overly loud laughter of 18-21-year-old women and their need to stomp up and down the corridor was not conducive to a quiet evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel