U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:23 AM

1,804 posts, read 806,102 times

Advertisements

My last stay at a Westin wasn't pleasant.

Yes, the bed was still comfortable and the decor was what I liked.

But I had trouble sleeping because the whole building had thin walls that provided almost no soundproof at all, I could hear noise from almost all my neighbors and possibly elevator(my room wasn't even adjacent to the elevator!).

It seems that most hotels are focusing on more presentable aspects like design and look, not many care about soundproof. It's ridiculously difficult to find a quiet hotel. The fact that many hotels are located in noisy neighborhoods makes it worse.

Now I prefer Airbnb slightly. It's not hard to find an Airbnb rental in a quiet neighborhood, away from highways, bars, other guests if you are willing to pay a premium for the whole house. Still more cost effective than 5-star luxury hotels(The Peninsula, Four Seasons, etc) in secluded locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 04:43 AM

112 posts, read 45,212 times
I've noticed this too. When I'm forced into the airline-hotel travel paradigm by work, I rarely get a good night's sleep. Many newer hotels have A/C units that don't allow a Fan* setting, so you get cycles of white noise, followed by silence and the everpresent noise of neighbors, be it slamming doors, loud TVs or loud footfalls either in the hall or overhead.

For this reason I almost always travel in my own RV, even for work, even if I have to spend a few personal days on the road. I only submit to the airline/hotel when the trip is too far. I can always find a good RV park, and the lack of shared walls, along with the white noise of the AC guarantees a good sleep. As an added bonus, I can stick to my own diet by cooking onboard, and I have my own mattress, pillows, etc.

*A setting which keeps the fan running constantly regardless of whether heat or cold is being applied. My son is an airline pilot who spends half his year in hotels. On one of his pilot forums, they actually exchange lists of which hotels have this feature.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:42 AM

1,172 posts, read 478,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It seems that most hotels are focusing on more presentable aspects like design and look, not many care about soundproof. It's ridiculously difficult to find a quiet hotel. The fact that many hotels are located in noisy neighborhoods makes it worse.
Agreed, this is a serious problem. And it's not just confined to hotels, either -- apartments and condos have the same issue. Many buildings built within the last 70 years or so are like this. It's clearly a cost cutting issue for builders and has been for a long time.

But people deserve their share of reprimand as well. People who have loud voices, who walk like elephants, are inebriated, who verbally fight at the drop of a hat, who think hallways are a great hangout area to chat (that's what the lobby or bar or restaurant are for!), who have no concept of time, who want to blast music or TVs... the list goes on. Some people's ideas of vacation fun is cutting loose and acting like a jerk, too.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:49 AM

3,548 posts, read 1,360,288 times
when i traveled for work (video conferencing took over), this is what i brought in my car:
a fan, earplugs, and Advil.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:18 AM

11,617 posts, read 3,974,177 times
It obviously deends on the type of hotel, in terms of the cheaper chains often on the side of busy roads or near noisy airports, they seem to be built quite cheaply, whilst mosre expensive luxury chains tend to concern themselves more with the customer experience.

Earplugs and other such accesories s mentioned already do help.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,331,352 times
3M orange earplugs

Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 AM

5,423 posts, read 2,822,310 times
Motels and cheap hotels sure don’t.

Better hotels actually have a little better walls, BUT check the door’s bottom next time. I began noticing that the sound was coming in through a very high door bottom. It let in both hallways noise and the always-on hall lights. I stuffed a towel under there against the light. It only helped a little against noise.

My husband, who frequently traveled for work, said the door bottoms are so high because it allows the morning newspaper to be slid into the room.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 AM

9,790 posts, read 5,004,684 times
I've never had a newspaper slid into the room. At the hotels where they do provide a newspaper for every room (which is very rare these days), they leave them right outside the door

Old 03-30-2019, 04:08 AM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
When I've stayed in many parts of Mexico, Central and South America, when I lay down on my bed, I usually knock on the wall in back of the bed, and in the vast majority of places I stayed in, there's a concrete cinder block wall between the units, and even if it's a 2 or 3 story motel/hotel, the floors/ceilings are concrete as well. IMO, they truly know how to build hotels/motels in Latin America, and most being very generous with balconies and rooftop decks, even in the 2 star facilities. But at the same time, outside noise can be a factor, at times, like waking up to a rooster crowing at 5am.

If you ever navigate through SkyscraperCity. com, if you "travel" around the world, you'll see that our motel/hotel chains are much better built and designed in, say, Europe. I think that's because of more competition, the development process is different, more highly demanding of developers. When I travel, I like to stay in the older places in the U.S. and I would never consider staying anywhere where I couldn't open a window or go outside on a balcony, or alley balcony. Nothing could entice me to stay in a glass hotel, with hermetically sealed windows, even if the room were free!

Old 03-30-2019, 07:26 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Many hotels that auto check you out at the end of the stay will slide a completed folio under the door around 3:00 am on departure day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel