Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 05:56 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

I have stayed in about a dozen airbnb's, never had a problem. I will continue to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 06:14 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
My one and only experience with AirBnB was with a psycho owner. I immediately closed my account and will never use them again. This just "seals the deal".
That's probably your fault for not picking a place with plenty of reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I have stayed in about a dozen airbnb's, never had a problem. I will continue to do so.
Same here, it's refreshing to have the option to stay in an actual home in an authentic location instead of a hotel in a tourist trap.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:17 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The cabin is on a street entirely occupied by vacation rental cabins, built for that purpose, in a tourist destination, so no "neighbors".
: ) Glad I wrote it the way I did then

Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,716 times
I don’t use AirBnb or things like Lyft or Uber — not enough oversight for my taste. I’d rather do a hotel or taxi as the chances they’re better regulated and/or more professional is reasonably good. One often gets what one pays for. YMMV.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:26 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Uber/Lyft not enough oversight?

Get a taxi and what do you know about it? Some random taxi with random driver who's name you don't know, with a reputation you know nothing about. He's got a meter but he might take a less efficient route that gets him a bigger fare, you might have an estimate on price but don't really know until you arrive.

Call Uber and what do you get? I have their name, their picture, their car type and color, their license plate number. I know the price of the ride and driver doesn't know whether I have cash/card on me since I don't need it. I can see their rating from hundreds (sometimes thousands) of rides they have given, and have the option to accept/decline a ride from them based on these reviews before they get anywhere near me.

Sure there are bad incidents (over millions of rides) from both taxis and ride share drivers, but I can't really see how any traditional ride option has more oversight than Uber.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I don’t use AirBnb or things like Lyft or Uber — not enough oversight for my taste. I’d rather do a hotel or taxi as the chances they’re better regulated and/or more professional is reasonably good. One often gets what one pays for. YMMV.
In general, my feeling too. I take a limo vs taxis each week to the airport.. I know my driver, I get the same one every time and have used him for a bit over 20 years. If he is sick, his wife fills in for him or his son. I stay at chains with an identity like Hilton or Marriott, with an Executive Lounge. The idea of staying in someones house creeps me out.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:40 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
If there was a sign prominently posted, saying something like "Hidden cameras are used in this house, except in the bedrooms and bathrooms" I THINK I'd be OK with that. Especially if that particular arbnb was a really prime location...like beach front, or French Quarter...

But if I found the hidden camera...I'm going to throw a towel over it. lol

Old 03-29-2019, 08:10 AM

I became curious. A simple search using airbnb and voyeur turned up a number of links, I only listed the first four, there are pages of unique returns.

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/201...s-film-guests/

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...und-in-rental/

https://observer.com/2015/01/couple-...watching-them/

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...und-in-rental/

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
It's 2019 ...

I've long assumed anyplace outside my own home is subject to hidden cameras.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:22 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I own a vacation rental and struggle at times with the way my property is disrespected by guests. We have to pick up trash and other items thrown from our deck into the forest below (40 feet below, almost straight down a dangerous embankment). Why in the world are people throwing beer cans, wine bottles, and our personal property that furnishes the home off the back deck?? I even found a water bottle, filled with urine and re-capped, in the grass down there. There's a bathroom on that floor just 12 feet from the back door. I really want to place a camera in these locations to provide evidence of these morons littering and damaging my property, but I fear that that action would be viewed as "peeping Tom" behavior and is probably not legal. The back deck in question also contains a hot tub, and I know that people often use them unclothed. I have no interest in looking at other people's junk. Trust me, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. But I do want to protect my property and have evidence to collect damages from the jack-holes who throw stuff off the deck when there's a wastebasket within 6 feet of them. I'd also like to place one at the front entrance to be assured that they are not having more guests than the maximum allowed. We have a rate for 6 residents, and additional residents cost a small additional charge per person, per day, up to the maximum of 8. I can't actually know if they are abusing this without a visual count of the number of residents. I feel that stating there are cameras in use would discourage rentals. What's an owner to do?? I guess we just suck it up and endanger ourselves every month climbing down the embankment to clean up the trash thrown by the trashy people renting our cabin, and continue to lose income to cheaters who game the system.

I feel for you and the situation. I don't think HIDDEN cameras are proper, but I wouldn't argue with you having a camera pointing towards the front yard and perhaps one UNDER the back deck, that at least would catch the trash coming down, if not the person throwing it. After all, the renter would be the responsible party. So long as you fully disclose the locations of the cameras.

I've rented a cabin in Gatlinburg and a house in the suburbs of DC.. I guess I have the mindset of do unto others.. Because I always go beyond the requirements on check out. I'll generally have started a load of laundry before leaving and stripped the beds down(After asking, both cases they've said yes) and washed the dishes (if any were used).

I do not agree with cameras inside the house as I feel anywhere in the house, not just bathrooms and bedrooms, there should be a reasonable expectation of privacy. You, as an owner, can't just on a whim use your key and go walking in while the place is rented at 3 in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel