U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:22 AM

4,796 posts, read 3,231,718 times

Advertisements

just assume you are being watched 100% of the time in life because that is where we are headed if we aren't already there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 03:33 PM

29,365 posts, read 26,322,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Property owner protecting their property. Makes sense to me. Are you gonna be naked and/or having naughty-time in the living room of THEIR house?
Valid point. Suppose you let some hairy old guy stay in your house and he starts sitting down naked on your favorite chair?

You might want to get it sanitized before you sit it in again.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 PM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
Are you gonna be naked and/or having naughty-time in the living room of THEIR house?
It's entirely possible.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:44 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,698,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I own a vacation rental and struggle at times with the way my property is disrespected by guests. We have to pick up trash and other items thrown from our deck into the forest below (40 feet below, almost straight down a dangerous embankment). Why in the world are people throwing beer cans, wine bottles, and our personal property that furnishes the home off the back deck?? I even found a water bottle, filled with urine and re-capped, in the grass down there. There's a bathroom on that floor just 12 feet from the back door. I really want to place a camera in these locations to provide evidence of these morons littering and damaging my property, but I fear that that action would be viewed as "peeping Tom" behavior and is probably not legal. The back deck in question also contains a hot tub, and I know that people often use them unclothed. I have no interest in looking at other people's junk. Trust me, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. But I do want to protect my property and have evidence to collect damages from the jack-holes who throw stuff off the deck when there's a wastebasket within 6 feet of them. I'd also like to place one at the front entrance to be assured that they are not having more guests than the maximum allowed. We have a rate for 6 residents, and additional residents cost a small additional charge per person, per day, up to the maximum of 8. I can't actually know if they are abusing this without a visual count of the number of residents. I feel that stating there are cameras in use would discourage rentals. What's an owner to do?? I guess we just suck it up and endanger ourselves every month climbing down the embankment to clean up the trash thrown by the trashy people renting our cabin, and continue to lose income to cheaters who game the system.
Hotels take pictures of damage and it gets charged to the credit card. Why would this be any different?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Are you gonna be naked and/or having naughty-time in the living room of THEIR house?
Why not?

Old 03-30-2019, 04:19 AM

113 posts, read 45,870 times
I think the timeline goes something like this:

Don't talk to strangers.

Never get in a car with a stranger.

Don't go in the house of a stranger.

Be careful talking to strangers on the internet.

Let strangers from the internet drive you around in their car.

Go stay in a stranger from the internet's house.

Go into a stranger from the internet's house and it's OK if he secretly films you.

My how times have changed.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:47 AM

38,178 posts, read 14,918,071 times
Have had good luck with VRBO and poor experiences with AirBnB.

AirBnB in Brooklyn was described as "studio apartment with window overlooking courtyard."

The window "overlooked" a parking lot but just barely. The studio apartment was in some sort of bunker basement and the window was at least 10 ft. above the floor.

The photos showed a bed, a kitchenette area, and small dining table and chair.

In reality, the "kitchenette" was a microwave on a bench at the end of the bed and the dining table and chair had to be folded and slid under the bed, otherwise there was no room to stand or dress.

Even the bed didn't look the same. Seemed a lot smaller in reality.

I did not stay and lodged a complaint with AirBnB. They strung it out until the time for posting reviews had past before sending a refund. Even then I had to threaten to call the City of Brooklyn about it before I got a refund.

Another time, a "charming two bedroom apartment" in an "eclectic neighborhood" in the Bronx, turned out to be an apartment with beds in what looked to be closets in a neighborhood with bars on the windows.

Both of these had many positive reviews.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:51 PM

12,632 posts, read 7,551,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I own a vacation rental and struggle at times with the way my property is disrespected by guests. We have to pick up trash and other items thrown from our deck into the forest below (40 feet below, almost straight down a dangerous embankment). Why in the world are people throwing beer cans, wine bottles, and our personal property that furnishes the home off the back deck?? I even found a water bottle, filled with urine and re-capped, in the grass down there. There's a bathroom on that floor just 12 feet from the back door. I really want to place a camera in these locations to provide evidence of these morons littering and damaging my property, but I fear that that action would be viewed as "peeping Tom" behavior and is probably not legal. The back deck in question also contains a hot tub, and I know that people often use them unclothed. I have no interest in looking at other people's junk. Trust me, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. But I do want to protect my property and have evidence to collect damages from the jack-holes who throw stuff off the deck when there's a wastebasket within 6 feet of them. I'd also like to place one at the front entrance to be assured that they are not having more guests than the maximum allowed. We have a rate for 6 residents, and additional residents cost a small additional charge per person, per day, up to the maximum of 8. I can't actually know if they are abusing this without a visual count of the number of residents. I feel that stating there are cameras in use would discourage rentals. What's an owner to do?? I guess we just suck it up and endanger ourselves every month climbing down the embankment to clean up the trash thrown by the trashy people renting our cabin, and continue to lose income to cheaters who game the system.
The last place we rented through Airbnb had a camera on the back deck and a nest camera at the front door. Both cameras were disclosed in the description, so we were fully aware of them. I think there was also some sort of "your could be recorded" sign out back. They had a pool, so if someone decided to go skinny dipping they would know it wasn't private.

I wouldn't stay anywhere with cameras inside the house, but outside is fine. I would install outside cameras if I were you, and include them in the listing.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
I think the timeline goes something like this:

Don't talk to strangers.

Never get in a car with a stranger.

Don't go in the house of a stranger.

Be careful talking to strangers on the internet.

Let strangers from the internet drive you around in their car.

Go stay in a stranger from the internet's house.

Go into a stranger from the internet's house and it's OK if he secretly films you.

My how times have changed.
This one I don't understand. Before Uber, people called cabs, and the people driving them were strangers.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:57 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,487,525 times
Quote:
So how is that a problem? Especially since, as you said, it's not supposed to be in the bedrooms/bathrooms. Property owner protecting their property. Makes sense to me. Are you gonna be naked and/or having naughty-time in the living room of THEIR house?
It's a huge problem unless they tell you about it before you rent.

If they disclose this information before you rent, it's fine with me.

And yes, people have sex and go around naked in houses and living rooms all over the world. And that's no problem. If you don't want people to have sex in your house, don't rent it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel