U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:04 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,496,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I own a vacation rental and struggle at times with the way my property is disrespected by guests. We have to pick up trash and other items thrown from our deck into the forest below (40 feet below, almost straight down a dangerous embankment). Why in the world are people throwing beer cans, wine bottles, and our personal property that furnishes the home off the back deck?? I even found a water bottle, filled with urine and re-capped, in the grass down there. There's a bathroom on that floor just 12 feet from the back door. I really want to place a camera in these locations to provide evidence of these morons littering and damaging my property, but I fear that that action would be viewed as "peeping Tom" behavior and is probably not legal. The back deck in question also contains a hot tub, and I know that people often use them unclothed. I have no interest in looking at other people's junk. Trust me, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. But I do want to protect my property and have evidence to collect damages from the jack-holes who throw stuff off the deck when there's a wastebasket within 6 feet of them. I'd also like to place one at the front entrance to be assured that they are not having more guests than the maximum allowed. We have a rate for 6 residents, and additional residents cost a small additional charge per person, per day, up to the maximum of 8. I can't actually know if they are abusing this without a visual count of the number of residents. I feel that stating there are cameras in use would discourage rentals. What's an owner to do?? I guess we just suck it up and endanger ourselves every month climbing down the embankment to clean up the trash thrown by the trashy people renting our cabin, and continue to lose income to cheaters who game the system.
You should always disclose upfront camera information. Most people will not mind having a front door camera. I would never rent a house with indoor cameras and if I found one I would be inclined to remove it and call the cops.

You should withhold deposit money if they trash the house. Surely you hold a deposit until you have inspected the house.

I rent 3 - 5 houses every year for the past ten years (always VRBO/Homeaway) and some of them with 14 - 18 people. We have never had our deposit withheld.

An alternative to pricing by the person is to price the house by the number of bedrooms used. Then you will be less concerned about the number of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
This is all part of the vacation property rental business. Unless your property is located on a large tract of private land the neighbors are probably not enamored with your rental of the property in the first place.
That's why most areas have noise restrictions. If the renters violate the noise restrictions, you withhold their deposit.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
If there was a sign prominently posted, saying something like "Hidden cameras are used in this house, except in the bedrooms and bathrooms" I THINK I'd be OK with that. Especially if that particular arbnb was a really prime location...like beach front, or French Quarter...

But if I found the hidden camera...I'm going to throw a towel over it. lol
I wouldn't rent one with hidden cameras and if I found one, it would be removed.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:13 PM

13,408 posts, read 6,706,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I wouldn't rent one with hidden cameras and if I found one, it would be removed.
Me too. There IS an expectation of privacy INSIDE.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:19 PM

365 posts, read 91,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
So how is that a problem? Especially since, as you said, it's not supposed to be in the bedrooms/bathrooms. Property owner protecting their property. Makes sense to me. Are you gonna be naked and/or having naughty-time in the living room of THEIR house?
Every women I have had a relationship wanted to plan our vacation and trips around their monthly cycles. It is normal for there to be an uptick in sexual activity when on holiday or away from home, several times a day: bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchen, hallway, stairwell, restaurant, car. Been that way with every women I had a relationship with. Since they were not surprised, I assume this is fairly normal and there were never any complaints.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:48 PM

3,150 posts, read 1,800,675 times
Never had an issue with AirBNB. I only use superhosts and actually take time read reviews.

With millions of rentals on the books, it is no surprise that there might be issues.

Finally, don't forget that the Erin Andrews incident happened at a really nice Marriott in Nashville.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 AM

5,788 posts, read 4,843,885 times
I wouldn't put a camera INSIDE the house. I do think that sometimes people put a blanket on the floor in the living room and get romantic by the fire on occasion....I know I have. And that's definitely not anything I'm interested in seeing. I do think you have a reasonable expectation of privacy behind a locked exterior door.

But I'm still deciding on exterior cameras. Yes, we can take money for damages on the credit card of the renter, but we often have back to back rentals where we might have 3-4 sets of guests in less than 2 weeks. I guess this is pretty far OT, but it explains why property owners WANT cameras. The cleaning staff cleans up the house after each rental, but they don't make note of trash thrown off the deck 40 feet into the forest below. So when we go to the cabin, often only once a month or so, we find the trash and don't know which set of guests was responsible, and by that time the charges on their credit card have been closed out. And really how much does one charge them for climbing down an embankment and picking up litter? It's just something we have to get used to I guess. They are paying a quite a bit to rent our place, so I guess they feel entitled to be pigs with their trash and throw it into the forest below the deck. I would never dream of littering anywhere, and throwing beer cans into the woods and expecting others to clean it up is just something I can't understand. If they enjoy the peaceful view off the deck, why trash it up for those who come later? I've even put a trashcan on the deck, so they don't even have to carry their trash inside to the can in the kitchen, still we find stuff thrown down there every month. We also have to put padlocks on things like the crawlspace door under the floor of the cabin, we've had guests get in there and then leave the exterior door open for rain and animals like skunks or racoons that could get in there. And we've locked the gas valve to the fireplace at the meter outside because they want a fire in the fireplace when it's 90 degrees out and the fire danger is high. The rental agreement states that the fireplace is off for the summer months, but they have removed screws to get to the control panel and tried to turn it on anyway. I have an arrangement of cute miniature skillets on a kitchen wall, and I've found that they unscrewed the screws holding the pans to the wall and moved them around. I mean WTF? This is our first vacation rental, and might be our last thanks to the poor manners of our guests.

Last edited by TheShadow; 03-31-2019 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 11:05 AM

1,345 posts, read 470,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...airbnb/585007/

So, I think that's the last time I'm going to stay at an Airbnb! Apparently, AirBnb thinks that it's just fine for the host to have hidden cameras in all but the bedrooms and bathrooms, and claim that if a picture was posted online of the room in which the camera was hidden, the "guest" was supposed to have noticed it, and that's considered good enough disclosure!

Yeah, I don't think so! Sure, you could have a sick hotel employee who hides a camera in a hotel room. But the hotel would fire them, and compensate you, and do whatever they could to prevent this. AirBnb is only concerned with their bottom line - not the safety of their "guests", nor their privacy.
"Airbnb’s rules allow cameras outdoors and in living rooms and common areas, but never in bathrooms or anywhere guests plan to sleep, including rooms with foldout beds. Starting in early 2018, Airbnb added another layer of disclosure: If hosts indicate they have cameras anywhere on their property, guests receive a pop-up informing them where the cameras are located and where they are aimed. To book the property, the guests must click “agree,” indicating that they’re aware of the cameras and consent to being filmed."

Disclosure is key I believe. I can certianly understand why an owner would want to be able to keep an eye on their investment. I would do the same.

I rented a VRBO a few years back, and it had cameras. They were not hidden, easy to see. Three outside on the large wraparound deck covering doors and a wider deck view, two inside in the upper and lower living areas, facing the sliding doors going outside in those rooms. The owner met me when we arrived and pointed them out to me. Very up front about it.

We had guests with us (in laws) and my SIL was very nervous about the cameras. I simply unplugged the recording DVR they all went into, plugged it back in when we left. I called the owner when I did this, he was fine with it.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:37 AM

13,923 posts, read 7,416,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Never had an issue with AirBNB. I only use superhosts and actually take time read reviews.

This

Between superhosts, reviews, and photos, you're not going to get any surprises. We rent studio apartments in Europe all the time and have never encountered any issues. They're investor-owned and have a reliable full-time local person actively managing a bunch of apartments. I've encountered minor maintenance issues where I've notified the owner through the AirBnB portal. I've never had the property manager no-show or walked into a dirty apartment.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:56 AM

1,729 posts, read 580,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The last place we rented through Airbnb had a camera on the back deck and a nest camera at the front door. Both cameras were disclosed in the description, so we were fully aware of them. I think there was also some sort of "your could be recorded" sign out back. They had a pool, so if someone decided to go skinny dipping they would know it wasn't private.

I wouldn't stay anywhere with cameras inside the house, but outside is fine. I would install outside cameras if I were you, and include them in the listing.
I was going to suggest the same thing.

You could always ask whatever office needs to approve.

One could say that steep area off the back deck would be a necessary place to put a camera imo because of any possibility of someone falling and you want to keep an eye on guest safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel