Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 08:47 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times

Advertisements

just noticed another incident. The rental companies should address these issues immediately. Not delay as in this case.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/05/e...ntl/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 10:41 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,446,608 times
Honestly if you are so concerned about cameras maybe it's not a good idea to leave the house. Literally every single person you walk by probably has a "hidden camera" on their phone.

I don't know what else you could do to make sure no one is ever capturing you against your will. The vast majority of hotels have cameras as do restaurants, shops, airports, bars etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:53 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,692,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Honestly if you are so concerned about cameras maybe it's not a good idea to leave the house. Literally every single person you walk by probably has a "hidden camera" on their phone.

I don't know what else you could do to make sure no one is ever capturing you against your will. The vast majority of hotels have cameras as do restaurants, shops, airports, bars etc.
You missed the point entirely. There is a huge difference between pictures in public places and pictures in a private space.

Hotels do NOT have cameras in their rooms.

Legally, there is an expectation of privacy in a hotel room our in a house.

There is no expectation of privacy in public places.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:53 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,971,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

I don't know what else you could do to make sure no one is ever capturing you against your will.
There's a big difference between a camera at the grocery store and one in a bedroom where you expect privacy.

I find it very disturbing that you, someone who lists on Airbnb, see nothing wrong with hidden cameras. Do you have them in your rentals? I guess it makes more sense how you know the intimate details of your guests "manscaping" rituals.

Could you say where your rentals are? Between the hidden cameras and not cleaning after relatives have stayed there, I really want to make sure I never accidentally stay at one of your places.

And no, "literally" every single person you walk by does not have a hidden camera recording your every move.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:32 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,446,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There's a big difference between a camera at the grocery store and one in a bedroom where you expect privacy.

I find it very disturbing that you, someone who lists on Airbnb, see nothing wrong with hidden cameras. Do you have them in your rentals? I guess it makes more sense how you know the intimate details of your guests "manscaping" rituals.

Could you say where your rentals are? Between the hidden cameras and not cleaning after relatives have stayed there, I really want to make sure I never accidentally stay at one of your places.

And no, "literally" every single person you walk by does not have a hidden camera recording your every move.
Oh the drama!

I already said I had cameras outside and in the doorbell. I have disclosed that in my listings. Said that too. Also said that my bookings have not slowed down. And that guests have not been phased.

Seriously no one wants to watch people in their rental save a few weirdos. These are the stories that make the news and everyone gets spun up with paranoia. As a guest and host I have never ever encountered this. My point was that you are much more likely to be filmed in public than in someone's home.

Our places are professionally cleaned. We shouldn't have to get a crew in to deep clean between relatives as they're not strangers with unknown cleanliness habits. But in fact we are probably better at cleaning than the service we hire. It's just that when you own so many places and they aren't all next door, you do have to delegate. Our ratings are at 5 stars on all.

I hate to break it to all of you but the only place you can truly expect privacy is in your own home. And less even that than ever die to smart devices that record and social media that owns your information. This whole topic is way overblown by people who are suspicious of the Airbnb model and want a way to undermine it. Cities are mad at the disruptive effect Airbnb has had on the hospitality market. People like me are getting rich and that's upsetting to hotels and cities who want a piece of that income. So anytime anything goes wrong it's national news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel