U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 09:46 AM

9,425 posts, read 7,076,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yeah, I think it is more the people who are in Iceland or other destinations and suddenly they have no way back home with only outrageous last-minute flight prices available. That said, this has been a possibility in the news for months. I wouldn’t have booked with them based on that news- it just seemed too risky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I was primarily talking about folks who are stuck at their destination away from home. The attitude from WOW's execs is "oh well, good luck figuring that out". It also sucks for people who were about to take a trip and got this cancellation last-minute. I agree with you on those who are several months out...that's enough time to regroup and figure out something else.

as someone else said above.. IcelandAir is somewhat stepping up to the plate, even when they don't really have to. That SHOULD get them some good will.. Though, I wonder if it will. Because I'm sure many, if not most of the people who are stranded almost expect that. They shouldn't and they should be very thankful to IcelandAir for what they're doing, but..

I certainly don't have a good solution and do acknowledge that this is a problem.. But.. What to do? I hate blaming the passengers, though they did assume some of the risk by booking with this airline.

Personally.. I won't fly some airlines due to things like this or other possible issues. something like Allegiant.. They fly from GSP to Tampa (and vice versa) every other day.. While I can book that flight for under $100 round trip.. What if there's an issue with a plane? It could be DAYS before they could get me on another flight.. and they're not going to put me up in a hotel for that time. So.. I'm more likely to pay $150 on a legacy or whatever Southwest might charge, because they have far more flights and can adapt to a cancellation better.

If I did book through allegiant.. I'd have to recognize that there was a risk that I would either be stuck in Tampa a few days longer than expected or wind up renting a car and driving back.

I don't see a WHOLE lot of difference in these two situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 10:12 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't see a WHOLE lot of difference in these two situations.

It's a bit easier to drive to Greenville from Tampa than from Reykjavik!

Old 03-29-2019, 10:27 AM

9,425 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's a bit easier to drive to Greenville from Tampa than from Reykjavik!

Well, yeah, there's that.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:52 PM

894 posts, read 328,471 times
We were in Nth Queensland when Ansett collapsed. It was a long running major airline here, almost as big as Qantas at the time. Fortunately Qantas transported people free for a while. We were also in Mexico City many years ago when, was it Pan Am?, collapsed. We were booked with someone else but persuaded to accept a flight with Air Costa Rica as they were trying to move so many people. That was a flight I will not forget.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:23 PM

4,257 posts, read 7,143,279 times
Beware Fly By Night Airlines. If it's too cheap/good to be true, it is.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:19 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
I never thought about the logistics of shutting an airline down abruptly. It seems that they would have stranded their own aircrews in various cities across the world. Those employees would not have been able to dispute any charges with their credit card companies, as there was no purchase to dispute. They may have also been in an awkward situation with the hotel the airline booked them in.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:16 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,559,500 times
Iceland has become top destination in last few years because of WOW airline. I was planning on taking them just so i can have long stop over in Iceland to do the bath. This is what they do. I know this will impact tourist industry in Iceland but hopefully IcelandAir generous offer will keep tourism to Iceland going.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:28 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
IcelandAir has been offering the stopover flights since the 1970s; they'll more than pick up any demand for those routes again going forward.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:38 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times
I never even heard of them before this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or