U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:24 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,016,856 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ed/3296950002/

Wow! Living up to the name!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 11:57 AM

645 posts, read 241,738 times
Yikes, I guess since they were failing anyways, why not go out with a complete d*** move? Gotta love the morals of people who run companies like that.

I was looking forward to giving this airline a shot one day. Oh well.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,649,479 times
How does something like this actually work? Does a shutdown happen all at once, and planes that are in the air immediately land at the nearest airport and kick the passengers off? Do they turn around and fly back to the airline's main base? Do they finish whatever flights they're on and then sit on the ground at the airport? Do they finish their flights, then fly back to the main base (with or without passengers)?

In other words, does the actual shutting down of an airline's flight operations take place almost immediately, or is it drawn out over a number of hours, or even over a day or two?

Old 03-28-2019, 01:57 PM

5,237 posts, read 8,406,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
How does something like this actually work? Does a shutdown happen all at once, and planes that are in the air immediately land at the nearest airport and kick the passengers off? Do they turn around and fly back to the airline's main base? Do they finish whatever flights they're on and then sit on the ground at the airport? Do they finish their flights, then fly back to the main base (with or without passengers)?

In other words, does the actual shutting down of an airline's flight operations take place almost immediately, or is it drawn out over a number of hours, or even over a day or two?
From news stories, in WOW's case, it appears that all flights for Thursday were cancelled late Wednesday night. So no flights were in the air Thursday.

Looks like they also cancelled all late Wednesday "red-eye" flights also.

" For many passengers, the news confirmed their worst-case scenario. Wow had already canceled a number of international flights out of Newark, N.J., Baltimore/Washington International Airport and other airports Wednesday night. In several cases, those cancellations followed hours of delays."

"The airline has canceled all of the 29 flights it had scheduled for Thursday"

Last edited by reed303; 03-28-2019 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

They really did not have much of a choice since many of their planes were repossessed bu their creditors earlier this week in Montreal.

What I found ironic is that all of the pictures on the investors portion of their website featured teh CEO.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:50 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,672,995 times
Oh man, this is awful. I've considered taking WOW Air because the flights were so cheap and included a stopover in Iceland. All those people who have to scramble now! It is disappointing for the ones who were waiting for their flights to go on vacation but so disruptive to those stranded in countries other than their own. Crazy!

Old 03-28-2019, 04:24 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Yikes, I guess since they were failing anyways, why not go out with a complete d*** move? Gotta love the morals of people who run companies like that.

I was looking forward to giving this airline a shot one day. Oh well.
In a way.. You're right. But.. There's limits.

I mean, if someone books a flight 6 months out.. Is the airline required to keep flying for 6 more months?

I do agree that there needs to be something of an orderly cessation of operations. Such as 'all operations will cease in 5 days'.. But. I will also say that anyone who booked with them in the past 3 months or so has to realize that this was a significant possibility, if not likelyhood.

The only surprise about them shutting down is that it happened today.

Plus, you can't get blood from a turnip. If they announce they're shutting down.. They better have SOME cash on hand, because they aren't going to get anything on credit. Including fuel.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:21 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Icelandair is apparently offering cheap ($60-$150) relief tickets to stranded WOW passengers as a goodwill gesture

I was one of the last passengers of Mark Air back in the 90s- Northwest rebooked me onto them because my scheduled plane had mechanical issues and I was grumpy about it because I'd never heard of the airline before. But all their employees I interacted with seemed happy and upbeat and I don't think they had a clue the airline would cease all operations within 24 hours of my flight.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:26 PM

3,974 posts, read 1,700,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I mean, if someone books a flight 6 months out.. Is the airline required to keep flying for 6 more months?

I do agree that there needs to be something of an orderly cessation of operations. Such as 'all operations will cease in 5 days'.. But. I will also say that anyone who booked with them in the past 3 months or so has to realize that this was a significant possibility, if not likelyhood.

Plus, you can't get blood from a turnip. If they announce they're shutting down.. They better have SOME cash on hand, because they aren't going to get anything on credit. Including fuel.
Yeah, I think it is more the people who are in Iceland or other destinations and suddenly they have no way back home with only outrageous last-minute flight prices available. That said, this has been a possibility in the news for months. I wouldn’t have booked with them based on that news- it just seemed too risky.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:50 AM

645 posts, read 241,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I was primarily talking about folks who are stuck at their destination away from home. The attitude from WOW's execs is "oh well, good luck figuring that out". It also sucks for people who were about to take a trip and got this cancellation last-minute. I agree with you on those who are several months out...that's enough time to regroup and figure out something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or