U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:07 PM

519 posts, read 737,876 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on here who lives in the US been to Australia? If so, which site did you book your flight on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 03:58 AM

19,792 posts, read 19,895,713 times
We booked directly with Qantas

Old 03-31-2019, 05:23 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
I have been to Australia twice. The first time (which was quite a while back) I was living outside the USA and a friend who worked for Air Canada helped me book a ticket via Qantas. The second time which was more recent I flew there on Delta but on the way back the segment between Sydney to LAX was unexpected canceled but American Airlines was able to accommodate me instead (and at LAX was able to make a later connecting domestic flight on Delta). For this trip, I was helped by someone who had access to a website available to someone within the industry. Within Australia I flew Jetstar Sydney-Melbourne-Sydney which was booked online for me by an Australian friend (but I am not sure which website).

I highly recommend visiting Melbourne as it has lots to offer a tourist.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Depends where in Australia you are headed (It is very big!).
Can you add NZ?
I usually book direct with airline after scanning fares on Google flights or similar. (booking direct with carrier adds flexibility in the future if you need changes, or the original flight gets cancelled. )

My Preference = Air New Zealand with a free stopover in Cook Islands (Not sure if they have a direct to Au). They offer the Cook Island layover on an LA > Auckland, but I would seek the same into Christchurch, then enjoy south island NZ on my way to AU.

There is a lot to do on the east coast of AU. (it is big too).

I am not sure there are budget airlines serving interior AU, but we took budget airlines from AU to SE Asia.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:06 PM

902 posts, read 463,984 times
I always book direct with the airlines, never a third party site. If there is a issue it's easier dealing direct rather than through a middleman.

Flew AA, BC last trip LAX-SYD on a 787-9 and it was a great flight. Can't wait to go back.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:25 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,318,179 times
I sort of lucked out when I did my 3-week Australia trip back at the end of the year in 2006. I was able to book a round trip Saver FF ticket on United for 50,000 miles (it now costs 80,000 miles) for the peak time of the peak season, December 13th to January 3rd.

To date this was my best redemption of miles ever (getting over $0.04/mile value), I did it like 320 days out, or whenever the earliest the FF seats are uploaded into the system and went TUS-LAX-SYD and SYD-LAX-TUS.

Then for travel within Australia, I did one giant counterclockwise loop using Virgin Blue and bought the tickets directly from their website, SYD-CNS, CNS-AYQ-MEL, MEL-SYD.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:42 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,289,910 times
> If so, which site did you book your flight on?

It doesn't matter. Pick one with an interface you find convenient. If you end up with flights on a single airline, try directly with the airline to see if it's any different. Then make your choice.

The travel websites are very convenient for exploring options. Some recommend Google Flights, I have no experience though.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:21 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,670,639 times
My son just went to Melbourne with friends and they booked United through the United site. We almost always book through the airline site itself unless we have some pressing reason not to (i.e. an amazing deal through Orbitz or whatever). We use Google Flights to find flights, but not all carriers are on Google Flights, so you do need to look around some.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:21 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
We just booked through a online travel company but the flights are on Qantas. We booked through a third party because they were the ones offering a discounted rate at the time.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:40 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,509 times
I have been, but many years ago. Don’t remember the airline. Went to Sydney and Canberra, both nice, though the former is more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or