Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 01:58 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I did a lot of international travel with my kids before they turned 12. Because it saves money.

Many airlines offer discount for kids up to 12 years old on international routes. Usually they are only charged 2/3 of the adult price even if they occupy seat.

For most hotels outside US, the management allow kids under 12 to stay in the same room without charge.

So it is only marginally more expensive.

I don't think that discount for children under 12 is commonplace any more. We've taken our daughter on 3 international trips (Greece/Italy, Norway, and Aruba) and none of the respective airlines offered any sort of discount for taking a 2, 4 or 5 year old. The only rule that seems to remain in place is that children under 24 months old may sit on a parent's lap and fly for free, but once the child turns 2 he or she is full fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 02:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I don't think that discount for children under 12 is commonplace any more. We've taken our daughter on 3 international trips (Greece/Italy, Norway, and Aruba) and none of the respective airlines offered any sort of discount for taking a 2, 4 or 5 year old. The only rule that seems to remain in place is that children under 24 months old may sit on a parent's lap and fly for free, but once the child turns 2 he or she is full fare.
Many airlines still offer discount to kids but not as much as 2/3 as they used to be.

I randomly checked a couple airlines. United offers 20% discount to kids 5-11 years old for international routes. Korean Air offers 25%.

But those discounts apply to airfare only and not other fees. So it is actually about 15% off.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times
Quote:
Many airlines still offer discount to kids but not as much as 2/3 as they used to be.

I randomly checked a couple airlines. United offers 20% discount to kids 5-11 years old for international routes. Korean Air offers 25%.

But those discounts apply to airfare only and not other fees. So it is actually about 15% off.

OK good to know, thank you!

Old 04-12-2019, 02:53 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
I did a lot of international travel with my kids before they turned 12. Because it saves money.

Many airlines offer discount for kids up to 12 years old on international routes. Usually they are only charged 2/3 of the adult price even if they occupy seat.

For most hotels outside US, the management allow kids under 12 to stay in the same room without charge.

So it is only marginally more expensive.
yes but money isn't so much the issue as you gotta deal with the kids getting feisty. I used to hate when my parents dragged my sister and I around to places. We didn't travel internationally as kids, but there were certainly some domestic trips they dragged us that we complained like the entire time and my parents probably would have had a better time without us (b/c it wasn't a destination for kids and we didn't find it fun).

(Disneyworld of course was not a complaining trip, lol, but the majority of others were).

Old 04-12-2019, 02:59 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,029 times
Lack of paid time off, lack of compensation that allows for trips like your asking about.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
Most americans can't afford to travel. No, we aren't spending money on fancy cars, house, we aren't fearful or uneducated. We just.don't.have.the.money.

And who are you to judge where people spend their vacation? Geez...Laos and Cambodia have never been on my list

Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,684 times
Because it’s EXPENSIVE! We just moved back from living in Europe for 4 years, and we traveled almost monthly! With super cheap flights from RyanAir, EuroWings, TUI, etc., travel was very affordable. We can’t even afford to visit the in laws from San Antonio to Tulsa, so we have to drive. Yuck!!

Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Because it’s EXPENSIVE! We just moved back from living in Europe for 4 years, and we traveled almost monthly! With super cheap flights from RyanAir, EuroWings, TUI, etc., travel was very affordable. We can’t even afford to visit the in laws from San Antonio to Tulsa, so we have to drive. Yuck!!

This is partially true. Domestic travel can be very expensive but as I mentioned earlier International travel can cost about the same or possibly less than domestic travel. While I don't discount that some people can't afford any travel, it's people who are able to spend a week in Disney or a week long cruise who don't consider International travel because it is too expensive without even taking the time to price out the trip. Or the people who aren't aware that since travel within a region like Europe is so inexpensive that you just need to just get the continent as cheaply as possible and then move to your desired location from there.

I think we are now entering a time that people are learning about opportunities to travel cheaply. I think the next hurdle is changing people perception on the amount to time people want to devote to getting to and spending in a location. Since most Americans have limited time at best a person can only spend a week out of work. But why not consider going to Europe for that week if you can get a ticket under $400. You just need to get $400 worth of experiences, that seems worth it to be able to visit the Louvre and see the Eiffel Tower in person or to explore Rome and Florence. Most of your travel expenses (food, hotel, activities) can cost the same as a domestic trip

Old 04-13-2019, 07:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
International travel being expensive is a myth. It's only expensive if you make it so.

Domestic is much more expensive than any international trip I have taken.

For one thing if you go somewhere in the off season, it's much cheaper! I found $250 RT airfare from NYC to the Nordic region this Nov. Granted it will be cold and dark for most of the day, but for that price ... amazing. Where in the US can you fly from NYC to for under $250 RT? Not many places.

My husband and I are able to get deals on things if we're flexible about where/when we go and a lot of the cheapest things we have done in the off-season.

Couchsurfing I believe is free. There is also programs where you can esssentially travel for free in exchange for doing volunteer work.

Travel doesn't HAVE to be expensive.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
I can’t imagine any scenario where I’d want to visit Laos or Cambodia. We’re visiting Asia next year and the thought of either of those places never crossed our minds.

Why does anyone assume other people would want to do the same as you and then label an entire country by your stereotypes?

We are currently in Europe. We have friends in Sweden and Denmark. I couldn’t imagine going to either in the winter. Just to save money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel