U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 09:34 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Because I don't want to be near third-world people.
'Third-world people' are incredible! This is a really closed-minded thing to say. They are some of the nicest, kindest people I have ever come across and many of them have literally nothing but they would share with you what they have, moreso than most Americans I've met.

You should watch 'The Kindness Diaries' on Netflix. Perhaps that would change your mind about 'third-world people'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 11:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Because of having family from the Caribbean,I grew up always having a passport because that was the way of life for my family.One needs a passport to travel to the Caribbean.I have also been to Europe twice and let me tell you,to go to Europe from the states...you really need to put aside at least 1 full month.The first time me and my mom went, we stayed for a month.One really needs to put aside a huge chunk of time to travel to Europe or Asia or Australia.You need the proper time.
I'm sorry but I have do disagree with this. You don't need to devote that much time to these locations. Yes travel time can be extensive to get to some of these locations but you can easily explore a great deal in less than a week.

Most people are reluctant to plan these trips because the believe that a 24 hour journey is akin to torture but fail to consider that they get an amazing experience at the end of that plane ride. The reality is that long haul flying isn't as bad a most people fear that it is, especially when you fly on an international carrier.

Cost is another matter. If you live near a major city you can travel to these locations affordably especially if you are flexible with your dates and destinations. I live in the DC area and have bought tickets to Europe for less than $300 a person, Asia and Australia for less than $500, and Africa for $300. These prices are for one week trips leaving either from the DC area or New York and most are around holidays so I minimize the vacation time I use.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:06 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,559,500 times
because the world is too big and USA is too far away from everything. I am almost dying at end of 6hrs when we just finished crossing over the ocean. Now add more hours to the destination of choice. I flew to China once and vowed never to torture myself with such long flight. The experience was amazing but the flight gave me nightmares. I go to south asia often due to family but now I am spoil and lazy, so I take stop over for a day or 2 somewhere in middle. I just can't toughen it out.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
My husband gets 10 days vacation but can only take 5 at a time. I need sun and the beach when we vacation. I looked at flying to Australia but the flight eats up too much of our time. I donít want a rushed vacation where half of it is spent in transit.
Try Greece it is only an 8 hour flight from the east coast. While you may lose a day on the way there (though most flights are overnight so you arrive early the next morning) you will gain that time on your return. A trip leaving Friday night and returning a week from Sunday will net you 8 nights on the ground and take only 5 vacation days

Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 AM

637 posts, read 238,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Most people are reluctant to plan these trips because the believe that a 24 hour journey is akin to torture but fail to consider that they get an amazing experience at the end of that plane ride. The reality is that long haul flying isn't as bad a most people fear that it is, especially when you fly on an international carrier
I think most US carriers have ruined a lot of people's perceptions of flying. I got a chance to fly on Swiss Airlines when I went to Zurich, and holy crap that was wonderful.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:12 PM

1,615 posts, read 4,908,244 times
Our main reason is really cost. Unfortunately the only time my whole family can vacation together is in the summer months which is usually when airfare is at its highest.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:52 PM

9,859 posts, read 10,110,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Work is long. Paid leaves are nonexistent. Many (though this is going down) Americans only speak English
Many midsize airports have nonstop flights to Latin America for reasonable prices. That way you are on a plane for only a few hours. You can learn enough Spanish to be friendly.

Don't just fly to tourist destinations but consider Guadalajara, or Panama City or Costa Rica. Go to a Spanish speaking island and not just Jamaica or Bermuda

Old 04-02-2019, 02:30 PM

894 posts, read 328,471 times
Vietnam is still a developing country, "third world,"as someone put it. Cambodia and Laos are, admittedly considerably poorer than Vietnam. I have not yet been to Laos and Cambodia though my daughter backpacked there at the age of 24 (actually the places where she had problems with theft were in Vancouver and Spain)

In Vietnam in three weeks we did not come across one person begging, we did not see anyone homeless, not to say there could be. We saw a country with people working, dressed as we do in the west. We were laughing in the markets as all the staff seemed more interested in being on their phones than trying to sell us anything. More people have motor bikes rather than cars, the traffic is very busy and noisy. Most of the food is Vietnamese which probably accounts for the lack of obese people. But these things are not threatening nor unpleasant.

I suspect that a lot of Americans who choose not to travel have perhaps a skewed view of other countries. I have actually been more frightened in parts of the US than in developing countries in Asia.

Another closing comment. Asian airlines are very much more pleasant than American Airlines. Asian airports are generally more efficient and much more pleasant than American airports and Australian airports, for that matter. Do not worry about not speaking the language in another country. All we speak is a bit of Italian and nothing bad has ever happened to us because of lack of another language. When we were in China everyone would just whip out their phones with their translate apps if we needed assistance.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:40 PM

356 posts, read 83,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
It seems great pity to me that for so many "travel" means "vacation" and "vacation" means a cruise of Disneyland.
wrong.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:25 PM

723 posts, read 481,614 times
Some disparage the rural people of America for not traveling and yet tout the accolades of the third-world people for being visited in the same thread. So weird...

Personally I have little desire to travel over seas. I do love exploring America's parks, mountains and beaches. Exploring Americas history is of great interest so we hit a lot of those places. Paradise to me is sitting on the beaches of OBX for a week and doing nothing. If that supposedly makes me some sort of less cultured inbred then so be it... I guess. But it's is exactly what me and my family enjoy. Not sure why that is so wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel