U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 05:21 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
How many times does this topic need to come up in the travel forum by the way?

Why don't Americans travel overseas?
Why Americans Donít Travel Overseas
Why Don't Americans Travel Overseas
I was going to mention that as well, it seems like this topic comes up every few months or so, the search feature is your friend, kletter1mann!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 06:20 PM

4,420 posts, read 1,676,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post

4. "Fancy cars?" In most places in the US, you need a car to get around, buy groceries, go to work. There is either poor public transportation or none at all. You HAVE to have a car, so there goes a chunk of travel budget.
Borders on a good point. Virtually every American has a car, which costs money, a lot of the discretionary income that might be spent on travel. And since they are already invested in a car, it makes sense to design their vacation time around it, domestically.

Among peoplo I've known personally in the US, the number who have traveled outside NA is very close to zero. More of them to war, than to leisure.

Last edited by cebuan; 04-02-2019 at 06:35 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 06:25 PM

5,951 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
But, when you get to outside Europe the American tourists are vastly outnumbered by Euros, Canadians, Aussies, etc.
False. Stats on visitors to China here: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...-to-china.html. Stats on visitors to Thailand here: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...y-country.html

The number of tourists to China from United States dwarfs other Western countries, isn't even close. USA had 10x as many tourists to China as Australia. Same with Thailand, in 2016 USA had more tourists arriving in Thailand than any other Western country with Germany coming in second. Canada didn't even make the top 20 so not on the list for Thailand.

Obviously USA has bigger population but your claim that USA tourists are vastly outnumbered is absurd.

Quote:
There's another phenomenon at play as well. I have repeatedly encountered younger people saving up and quitting their jobs to travel and see the world before returning to where ever and going back to work. Or, traveling around after university to travel before settling down. They are curious and unafraid. Yet Americans are strikingly absent from this cohort. And yes, there are exceptions.
False. We lived in Thailand and many people in the expat circles were folks trying to make a living online while living cheaply so they could have some adventure in life and travel the globe while earning their way. Majority were Americans, followed by Brits, followed by other European countries.

I'd also note that the gap year concept is far more prevalent in other countries, which is one of the main reasons you see an outsized representation younger folks from Europe and Australia among the dreadlocked unwashed masses.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:26 PM

5,951 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Because I don't want to be near third-world people.
Just... wow. You'd have fit in nicely in Alabama in the 1960s, could even have your own separate water fountain to avoid cooties from undesirables.

Quote:
Traveling to a foreign land to take in the sights, people, food and culture is an adventure, not a vacation.
Those two terms are not mutually exclusive.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,296,752 times
I recently re-watched National Lampoon's Vacation. During the long drive cross country, the family stops at the home of relatives.

This seemed so familiar. When I was a kid, my family would do these long drives where we would visit relatives. That was most vacations.

And given the meager amount of time my Dad had off from work, when else were we going to see them?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:34 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,831,732 times
Quote:
America has plenty of immigrants from 3rd world countries. I guess you better renounce your citizenship.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:49 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,310,825 times
Actually visiting Montreal and Quebec is a pretty good substitute for France. They even have F1 in the the former while the real France lacks poutine.

I like big foreign vacations but finding others with the time, inclination and resources is a challenge.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 PM

9,668 posts, read 4,560,597 times
Quote:
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?

If you don't want personal anecdotes then why are you setting the table with your personal anecdotes? Give us tourism statistics to support your assertion that Americans don't travel overseas.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 PM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Quote:
You haven't noticed? The U.S. is reverting back to a 3rd world country! The friendliest people I've encountered in my travels have been in 3rd world countries in Central America!

Wander around downtown L.A. or San Francisco and you'll brush shoulders with lots of 3rd world type of people. They're unavoidable!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:50 PM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Having traveled well all over the world, at 69YO now, I'm becoming much pickier, much more selective.

I have no more tolerance for unwarranted noise, I put up with enough of it in Latin America to last me a lifetime. No, I don't want to wake up to a rooster crowing outside my motel at 5am! And that goes the same in Muslim countries with their early morning calls to prayer! Or the other 4 calls to prayer! And, the loud thumping boom cars, open-air disco's where you can hear the music 6 blocks away, stereo shops with blasting speakers outside, and on and on and on.

Can't you tell I joined NoiseFreeAmerica some time ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel