U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 06:23 AM

3,660 posts, read 3,522,136 times

Advertisements

Not all travellers are tourists.
In any international flight,most passengers are going for some work / business only. Many travellers are immigrants and either going to the place where they live/work/business or returning back to their native countries to see their parents / family members. Sometimes you see foreign students travelling. Sometimes you see workers IT or agriculture or construction work moving from one country to other.

Such movement is not for pleasure or how they can afford it. Such movement is a necessary part of their life / career and there is no alternative.

Pleasure tourists occupy very small portion of any international flight unless destinations are like Cancun or Canary Islands.

Still one can see many American Tourists in places like London, Edinburgh,Paris, Barcelona !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:31 AM

8,644 posts, read 19,081,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
Are those the only two countries in this world that are exotic and different? I say no.

Iíve never been to Cambodia or Laos and have no intentions of going. Why? Theyíre not of any interest to me.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:46 AM

3,660 posts, read 3,522,136 times
Not every American is white. There are many American citizens who are either born in Laos,Cambodia or whose parents were immigrants or refugees from those countries. I know people from Laos community in Texas running successful Restaurants. These American citizens do visit their native countries from time to time and this will qualify as Americans travelling overseas.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 AM

11,745 posts, read 8,308,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
Why don't you just say "I hate America" and stop wasting our time.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:09 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,669,408 times
Many of these threads started about why Americans don’t travel are not about meaningful discussion, but more of a a vehicle for the OP to let us know where they’ve traveled. It is a thinly disguised brag masquerading as a thoughtful topic.

Those with possessions have something that speaks for itself, while those who travel have to talk about it about so others may know. People who need to feel superior with what they own or where they travel are just different sides of the same coin.

Last edited by jean_ji; 04-03-2019 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 08:09 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
My experiences with third-world Americans haven't been very positive.
Golden role.

Maybe you have an attitude that you are better than them b/c you are the from the 1st world. Most people are nice to others when others are nice to them

Old 04-03-2019, 08:41 AM

15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Baloney.
1. Americans get fewer vacation days than just about anyone else on earth. I know plenty of people who've worked for years and still only get 2 weeks for vacation. Daughter works for one of those huge entertainment companies with parks (the one with ears) and has to work to earn points for days off. And woe be if you buy a cruise or tickets for something with specific dates, because you could request that time off and get it approved, but the company can come back and say no, you can't go, we need you. And they'll fire you if you go anyway.

Many people get a lot more than 2 weeks vacation. I have up to 5 and a half weeks of available time a year I can use for vacations. In fact the only people I know that get a week or two are people that change jobs often or have a low wage job.

2. To go overseas or to a foreign country takes a lot more effort and money. The USA is a huge country, which means it takes a longer time to travel outside its borders...and takes more money to travel that distance.

Airplanes are your friend. The United States has airports all over the nation that fly people to other parts of the world

3. Few of us can speak another language. I'd love to learn to speak another language well enough to travel, but even though I took 5 years of Spanish, I rarely get the chance to use it. We don't have that many Latino visitors, and when they're here, they want to practice their English rather that speak Spanish with me.

Luckily most of the world is close by people that speak more than one language with English being the one many placed learn as a second language. I have known people that taught English as a second language in places all over the globe.

4. "Fancy cars?" In most places in the US, you need a car to get around, buy groceries, go to work. There is either poor public transportation or none at all. You HAVE to have a car, so there goes a chunk of travel budget.

That is why I say pay cash for cars and use your money for experiences.

5 This is a big country, with lots to see. Canada and Mexico aren't that far away. So going any farther is going to take a lot of effort and money, and we can see some pretty great things just staying on this continent.

Once again, aircraft can take you anywhere on the planet. It does take planning to do this and you may need to save for the trip.

I agree that it's a shame that Americans don't travel more and farther, but it's not because we all want to stick with Disneyland/World. Lord knows that takes a pile of money, too. But many of us just don't have the money or time to cross the borders.

The average family spends $5,000 at Disneyland for a four day trip. Seems to me that if they can come up with that they could save for a trip somewhere else in the world

Yes it cost to travel. It cost to do a lot of things. It takes a budget to save up for trips or anything else. That is just part of life. At one time my wife and I were spending close to $1,000 a month on things that we could do without. We now save that money and then some each month. We have also continued to increase the amount we place in our retirement account. It is all about planning for the future. Planning a trip is no different.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:42 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,672,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Golden role.

Maybe you have an attitude that you are better than them b/c you are the from the 1st world. Most people are nice to others when others are nice to them
I assumed the poster meant that America was becoming a third-world country with the lack of healthcare, people not having clean water, crumbling infrastructure, the elderly living in severe poverty in some areas, our appalling infant mortality rate, the declining lifespan, and so on. Though I'm not sure why he/she wouldn't want to be around "third world people" when those people are our neighbors and friends. It's a sad state of events, for sure.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:59 AM

15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
Overpriced? I just found tickets to Spain for $1600 round trip. Sounds cheap to me

Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,296,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If travel is a big priority for you, then you'll find the time and money to do so.

How did I manage to do so much foreign travel?

Thrift stores, including socks, underwear and shoes.
By never eating out at restaurants, except an occasional fast food stop. Lots of cheap slow cooker meals.
Haven't been to a cinema since the 1980's
No car payments since the late 1980's
Roommate income

Travel has always been high on my priority list. This saying says it all: Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel.
Didn't it occurred to you that people may already be economizing where they can, and still can't afford to travel over seas?

Or do you think that most Americans are too dumb to budget/economize-making you superior to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel