U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 AM

636 posts, read 238,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Many people get a lot more than 2 weeks vacation. I have up to 5 and a half weeks of available time a year I can use for vacations. In fact the only people I know that get a week or two are people that change jobs often or have a low wage job.
In many American companies, you'd need to be there at least a couple of decades to accrue that many vacation days per year. You typically don't even get 3 weeks until your 5th year, and there are a myriad of reasons to change jobs more often than 15-20 years. And I'm not talking about low wage jobs; I'm in engineering, and this is fairly standard in the private sector. Not to mention, good luck being allowed to take more than one week off at a time.

Let me know what company(ies) is/are offering that generous amount of vacation earlier on in tenure, and I'll gladly start applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,666,568 times
Quote:
Overpriced? I just found tickets to Spain for $1600 round trip. Sounds cheap to me
That isn't cheap at all. My son is going to Germany later this month for $450 round trip. And he went to Australia a couple months ago for $600 rt! $1,600 is very expensive for a trip to Spain. Or is that for a family of four?

Old 04-03-2019, 09:11 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,666,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Didn't it occurred to you that people may already be economizing where they can, and still can't afford to travel over seas?

Or do you think that most Americans are too dumb to budget/economize-making you superior to them?
While I don't think that international travel needs to be everyone's priority, yes, most Americans are unable to budget. That's why an astounding percentage couldn't cover a $400 emergency. Some of it is low wages and poverty, but a much bigger reason is simply a lack of budgeting knowledge or willingness.

I don't care how other people spend their money. Go to Cambodia, go to Paris, go to DisneyWorld, go camping, don't go anywhere. It's all good. But yes, absolutely, the majority of Americans don't know how to budget or don't care to do so, which is a completely separate issue from where people go on vacation.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:13 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,216 times
Quote:
Overpriced? I just found tickets to Spain for $1600 round trip. Sounds cheap to me
Not to me, though. Traveling over seas is an expensive luxury even before you get off the ground.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 AM

2,076 posts, read 703,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Didn't it occurred to you that people may already be economizing where they can, and still can't afford to travel overseas?

Or do you think that most Americans are too dumb to budget/economize-making you superior to them?
I'm not the person to whom this was directed, but in my own case I know darn well that there are people for whom travel is unaffordable no matter how much they economize. There are also people who just give higher priorities to other things. When I was a kid, "vacation" meant driving somewhere and renting a house for a week (and "driving" could mean an overnight drive from Ohio to the Outer Banks in NC). There were 5 kids in my family and my parents preferred to save for our college educations rather than take us to Europe. It was a good decision. I grew up hungry for international travel but was motivated to get a job and fund it myself.

There are, however, people who would rather go out to eat 3X/week and buy a new car every 3 years than travel abroad. Some of us who travel abroad extensively cut back in areas such as cars clothing and restaurant meals so that we can do the travel we love and still remain solvent.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,645,590 times
Why don't Americans travel abroad?

Money. It's too expensive for the average American to go anywhere abroad for an extended amount of time.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:30 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,517,237 times
Quote:

USA to Spain round Trip should not cost more then 450 Dollars if booked one month in advance. For 1000 Dollars, you are looking at India / Thailand / China Round Trip.

Again i am talking about Economy Class Airtickets.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Why don't Americans travel abroad?

Money. It's too expensive for the average American to go anywhere abroad for an extended amount of time.
Not that the average American would be allowed to go for an extended amount of time, not and keep their job.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 04-03-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 10:03 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,524,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having traveled well all over the world, at 69YO now, I'm becoming much pickier, much more selective.

I have no more tolerance for unwarranted noise, I put up with enough of it in Latin America to last me a lifetime. No, I don't want to wake up to a rooster crowing outside my motel at 5am! And that goes the same in Muslim countries with their early morning calls to prayer! Or the other 4 calls to prayer! And, the loud thumping boom cars, open-air disco's where you can hear the music 6 blocks away, stereo shops with blasting speakers outside, and on and on and on.

Can't you tell I joined NoiseFreeAmerica some time ago?
I agree with you, but am curious where you choose to travel now. Loud-speakers, whether calling for prayer or political candidates, would be a deal-breaker for me.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:06 AM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I had dinner once where there was a guest from France, and we were having a barbecue with corn on the cob. He found that hilarious and said that French political cartoons often depict Americans eating corn on the cob. He then ranted about how Americans don't know where Paris is.
When I was growing up, my parents were big into people-to-people exchange programs and I remember a good conversation with some Belgian teenagers who were staying with us for a week. We'd done the traditional American cookout, and they were surprised that anyone would eat corn on the cob. Sweet corn is something of a specialty crop in much of Europe and they'd only ever had corn as a pizza topping of all things. Almost all of the corn grown over there is the type of corn used as animal feed. (And they also don't seem to have an industry devoted to turning corn into corn syrup, whether regular or high fructose either)

It's also not really valid to extrapolate your family's experiences in the USA 50 years ago to how you'd be treated in an Entirely Different Country in 2019. I suspect that if you tracked down the place in France they came from, you'd be surprised at how nice everyone was. Few things are more flattering than someone coming from halfway around the world to visit your town or city because you think it's a special place.

Lots of cheap fares USA-Spain this spring. Even from my typically expensive home airport ("the first $200 gets you as far as Atlanta") I've been seeing spring and fall fares in the $450 range and a room at an Ibis (reputable European budget chain with air conditioning in most properties) will run $50-$60 a night if you're willing to be a few mass transit stops from the center of town.

If my parents weren't busy spending down their assets so the nursing home doesn't get them by taking the family on a European river cruise, I so would have jumped on one of the Barcelona in May plane tickets.

As for why a European river cruise, probably ten other couples in their social circle have done one in recent years and raved about how awesome they were, so there are clusters of Americans who do like to travel abroad. Plus, it lets Dad spend a couple days in Germany after the boat docks and spend time with friends he made there when he was chaperoning youth groups to there back in his teaching days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel