U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 10:07 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,487,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That isn't cheap at all. My son is going to Germany later this month for $450 round trip. And he went to Australia a couple months ago for $600 rt! $1,600 is very expensive for a trip to Spain. Or is that for a family of four?
Same.. I am going to Belgium from the West Coast RT for barely 500 here in a couple of weeks. There have been a lot of flights to Spain for 380 RT recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 10:09 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
Good question deserves an answer
Yes good jobs often have maxed out time on the books
If you want to keep that good job don’t be gone long
As to overseas travel
Interesting stuff depending on who you talk to Paris is heaven or hell
I lived there for years as a young man
I am in group b

Old 04-03-2019, 10:22 AM

9,670 posts, read 4,560,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
False. Stats on visitors to China here: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...-to-china.html. Stats on visitors to Thailand here: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...y-country.html

The number of tourists to China from United States dwarfs other Western countries, isn't even close. USA had 10x as many tourists to China as Australia. Same with Thailand, in 2016 USA had more tourists arriving in Thailand than any other Western country with Germany coming in second. Canada didn't even make the top 20 so not on the list for Thailand.

Obviously USA has bigger population but your claim that USA tourists are vastly outnumbered is absurd.

Good job responding to anecdotal observations with stats. OP claims years and years of observations but I suspect they formed an opinion after the first experience and everything since then is confirmation bias.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:38 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,184,015 times
Are we putting family going to visit family in the tourist bucket?

Old 04-03-2019, 10:39 AM

1,834 posts, read 741,619 times
Really hate generalizations that OP is making. Plenty of Americans travel. OP just didn't see them in places that he/she traveled to.

My mother-in-law loves to travel. She's been to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Toronto, Vietnam, Hong Kong, but she loves cruises and tourist places and restaurants and buildings, not the great outdoors.

In fact, a friend went to China and randomly met someone who lived in the same city as her! Small world.

Those same people who buy houses and expensive cars go on vacations too, just not to places that OP likes.

And traveling is expensive, and not everyone wants to go to Laos and Cambodia like OP did.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:54 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,296,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Are we putting family going to visit family in the tourist bucket?
This brings up the topic of priorities. If one's time off is very limited, what has a higher priority-seeing relatives, or flying to a foreign country?

Old 04-03-2019, 12:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 437,239 times
Maybe because half the people IN America ARE from somewhere else.. often illegally?

They're just getting to know this country so they stay put!

P.S. I'm one of those who has travelled the world for many years, so I did my part!

Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,184,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
This brings up the topic of priorities. If one's time off is very limited, what has a higher priority-seeing relatives, or flying to a foreign country?

To me? Flying to a foreign country every day.

But I was more referring to Americans (or American residents) flying to say, China... well, many are visiting family. I was just wondering if people would consider that being a tourist. It's travelling, obviously, but not tourism to me. Others might view it different. I don't think the number of travelers to a location from a location is a 1 to 1 proxy for tourism numbers.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:46 PM

1,204 posts, read 437,239 times
On a more serious note, in my experience Americans travel overseas, but more conservatively than Brits, Aussies, and Europeans in general. Those folks amaze me sometimes, as I've encountered quite senior couples in very remote areas of the south/western parts of the U.S. when I was much younger. They were cheerfully driving into remote areas that could be very dicey in bad weather, far from gas stations, water, supplies, etc, with nary a concern.

Americans don't do that as much.

As an example, and a GREAT read, google The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:24 PM

15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
In many American companies, you'd need to be there at least a couple of decades to accrue that many vacation days per year. You typically don't even get 3 weeks until your 5th year, and there are a myriad of reasons to change jobs more often than 15-20 years. And I'm not talking about low wage jobs; I'm in engineering, and this is fairly standard in the private sector. Not to mention, good luck being allowed to take more than one week off at a time.

Let me know what company(ies) is/are offering that generous amount of vacation earlier on in tenure, and I'll gladly start applying.
True it takes time to get more than 2 weeks time. For the Healthcare organization that I work for we get Paid Time Off (PTO) For those that are here under 5 years they get 128 hours a year that they can use. (2 weeks plus 48 hours)

When you are here for 5 years it moves up to 168 hours of time (3 weeks plus 48 hours).

After 10 years you get 224 hours. (4 weeks plus 48 hours, plus 16 hours)

We are allowed to bank our hours. The most you can bank is 560 hours. After that you have to take time off. I will max out on the hours next year. You can also sell up to 80 hours a year back to the Hospital.

The majority of us can only take two weeks at a time. We do have some employees that have asked to take a month off at a time. One of my co-workers is from Europe and him and his wife go back every year for a month. Another employee that worked in our lab used to take a month off to surf other areas. Plenty of surf here but I get it, always fun to spend a month on a different beach.

I have been with the same employer for over 20 years now and plan on staying for at least another 20 years. We have a lot of people that never leave this place. My wife has been here almost 20 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel