U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 01:26 PM

15,728 posts, read 26,757,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That isn't cheap at all. My son is going to Germany later this month for $450 round trip. And he went to Australia a couple months ago for $600 rt! $1,600 is very expensive for a trip to Spain. Or is that for a family of four?
It did not seem out of line with flying from Los Angeles to Spain. I like your price even better though. I am not going to Spain. If I were I would search for the best price. If I wanted to leave today though, it would cost me $1,600 round trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 01:29 PM

15,728 posts, read 26,757,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Not to me, though. Traveling over seas is an expensive luxury even before you get off the ground.
For many it is not an everyday or even every year occurrence. For some they save up for a trip that they want to go on. Many people prefer to drink a $5 Latte every day. Others take the $5 and use it to save up for a trip.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:06 PM

3,582 posts, read 5,308,389 times
For you Parks and Rec fans out there:

America: The only country that matters. If you want to experience other "cultures," use an atlas or a ham radio. - Ron Swanson

Old 04-03-2019, 02:11 PM

894 posts, read 328,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
On a more serious note, in my experience Americans travel overseas, but more conservatively than Brits, Aussies, and Europeans in general. Those folks amaze me sometimes, as I've encountered quite senior couples in very remote areas of the south/western parts of the U.S. when I was much younger. They were cheerfully driving into remote areas that could be very dicey in bad weather, far from gas stations, water, supplies, etc, with nary a concern.

Americans don't do that as much.

As an example, and a GREAT read, google The Hunt for the Death Valley Germans.
Northern Europeans can be very adventurous travellers but when we were in Italy the opening question from the locals was almost always "how many hours" meaning how many hours was our trip. When we would say 24 they would shudder. We have been to Italy eight times, the relatives there have come here once and vow never to return. They cannot stand the trip.

Australia has such vast remote areas, where you wave to a passing vehicle, that we would rarely think of parts of the US as being remote. Keep in mind that older people like me grew up and travelled without the Internet and mobile phones. We had to do our homework about where to get supplies when travelling.

Qantas can, on some flights, look like a retirement home flight. The big topic of conversation among our friends, some in their seventies, is travel insurance and pre-existing conditions. And whether to risk the trip if insurance is denied. (We all know however not to risk going to the US) And what to do when you get to eighty and insurance is really hard to get.

DH has announced he wants to go to Kenya and Tanzania. The kids are alarmed as they think we will put ourselves in danger. We say, well if something happens to us, you will not have to worry about your mortgage anymore.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:20 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
For many it is not an everyday or even every year occurrence. For some they save up for a trip that they want to go on. Many people prefer to drink a $5 Latte every day. Others take the $5 and use it to save up for a trip.
The idea of saving for an expensive trip is not a novelty for me-I've done it before.

However, what is expensive for me may be simply unrealistic for those less fortunate than myself.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 04-03-2019 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 02:56 PM

1,355 posts, read 545,573 times
Most Americans don't even do domestic travel. Try ask someone you know if he has been to Yellowstone? Or has he been to Hawaii? Maybe one out of ten.

Many Americans do travel a lot. Many have repeatedly gone to the Caribbean. More Americans visit England than other Europeans do (with the exception of French). American tourists flood the Windsor Castle and Kensington Palace in summer. I wonder, if we are so fond of the the Royal Legacy, why did we fight for independence?

But for other more exotic places like Japan, most Americans are not interested. U.S. sent fewer tourists to Japan than even Hong Kong did.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:16 PM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
The idea of saving for an expensive trip is not a novelty for me-I've done it before.

However, what is expensive for me may be simply unrealistic for those less fortunate than myself.
There’s a whole spectrum of “expensive”. I tend to do my international travel at a level I consider inexpensive. Frequent flyer points for airfare. AirBnB studio apartments, steeply discounted hotels, or hotel frequent stayer points. Eat “expensive” a couple of times during the trip. Public transportation rather than expensive rental cars. It’s often ~$2,000 to $2,500 for two people for 10 days.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:29 PM

941 posts, read 204,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Golden role.

Maybe you have an attitude that you are better than them b/c you are the from the 1st world. Most people are nice to others when others are nice to them
No attitude at all.

I've noticed a lot of people from lousy countries who think they themselves are somehow better than Americans, when in fact, a lot of them are backwards.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:33 PM

2,083 posts, read 706,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Why don't Americans travel abroad?

Money. It's too expensive for the average American to go anywhere abroad for an extended amount of time.
I'd say it's too expensive for the average American to go to Disney World but somehow they manage. It's partly priorities. Some people just don't want "foreign". I'm perfectly happy to have them all standing in line for Pirates of the Caribbean while I explore a park in Costa Rica.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There’s a whole spectrum of “expensive”. I tend to do my international travel at a level I consider inexpensive. Frequent flyer points for airfare. AirBnB studio apartments, steeply discounted hotels, or hotel frequent stayer points. Eat “expensive” a couple of times during the trip. Public transportation rather than expensive rental cars. It’s often ~$2,000 to $2,500 for two people for 10 days.
For those who are living paycheck to paycheck (or rather, surviving paycheck to paycheck) your methods may not be helpful enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel