U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-07-2019, 12:39 PM
 
14,171 posts, read 6,415,927 times
Reputation: 14631

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
1. Not enough time off
2. It's expensive.
3. Some watch Fox News too much and are scared.
4. Some only travel to visit family. Lots of people assume that's all I do.
5. Some need constant entertainment and simulation so places like resorts, Disney, or Vegas are all that appeal to them. I've traveled overseas and get my dreaded question, "What did you go to _________ for?"

Some good reasons and some dumb reasons. The second reason is why I don't go overseas as much as I'd like.
I got that question, "why did you go to...for?" quite a lot when I went to Nicaragua. I went to an island off the mainland, no roads, electricity was iffy at night, not much to do other than hang out. I loved it. Pretty much everyone else I encountered, mostly coworkers, could not figure out why I went there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2019, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.



Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
I disagree with you full heartedly. No, we do not take 6 week trips cause most of us do not have the time or if we are retired that long away from home, traveling the way you did can put a strain on our bodies. but most of the people I know have traveled several times out or the country. I know we certainly have. While we are traveling we always eat the food of the region.

as for who does and does not respond to your post, I think most of us know this is a public forum and we can pretty much post what and where we want. If you make a statement that is an opinion and not factual of course we will post our views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Reputation: 41736
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
The responses here have been interesting and enlightening. Mostly. I'll clear up a few points for the sake of context.

> Yes, I am retired. Obviously that eliminates the "not enough time" issue fir me.

> I lived overseas for many years in Switzerland and Japan. During that time I traveled extensively throughout Europe and Asia.

> My son worked for years in SE Asia in the tourist industry ("adventure" tourism in Thailand and Vietnam appealing mostly to the under-40 set).

So, to be clear, my observations and impressions about the American traveler phenomenon is also based on many years of international travel while I was living overseas. The recent 6 week trip merely confirmed them. My son and I often compare notes and has the same view. I'll clarify a bit more:

I'm NOT saying that no Americans travel. Obviously many do. That said, the proportion of Americans traveling outside of Europe is miniscule compared to other nationalities. It's pretty obvious that, within Europe, there are lots of Americans and fewer Euros cause that's where the Euros live. But, when you get to outside Europe the American tourists are vastly outnumbered by Euros, Canadians, Aussies, etc.


There's another phenomenon at play as well. I have repeatedly encountered younger people saving up and quitting their jobs to travel and see the world before returning to where ever and going back to work. Or, traveling around after university to travel before settling down. They are curious and unafraid. Yet Americans are strikingly absent from this cohort. And yes, there are exceptions. And don't tell me it's the money. When there's a will there's a way and traveling in Asia can be astoundingly cheap.

It seems great pity to me that for so many "travel" means "vacation" and "vacation" means a cruise of Disneyland.
and again I will say you are 100% wrong. Most people with a middle income or higher have traveled out of the USA. Disney is a great place to travel with families; so is cruising but when someone has has the time and funds traveling internationally is something many do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 03:05 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Reputation: 11078
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I got that question, "why did you go to...for?" quite a lot when I went to Nicaragua. I went to an island off the mainland, no roads, electricity was iffy at night, not much to do other than hang out. I loved it. Pretty much everyone else I encountered, mostly coworkers, could not figure out why I went there.
Sounds like a wonderful time. I don't know why, but I hate when people ask why I went somewhere. I know it's to make conversation but it just sounds so ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 04:28 PM
 
9,642 posts, read 4,545,718 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I got that question, "why did you go to...for?" quite a lot when I went to Nicaragua. I went to an island off the mainland, no roads, electricity was iffy at night, not much to do other than hang out. I loved it. Pretty much everyone else I encountered, mostly coworkers, could not figure out why I went there.

Little Corn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 04:52 PM
 
14,171 posts, read 6,415,927 times
Reputation: 14631
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Little Corn?
Yep, a pain to get to but worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 05:47 PM
 
Location: SF, CA
1,508 posts, read 677,239 times
Reputation: 2331
Default seen America first?

A sidelight to the original theme of this thread:
how many Americans have thoroughly explored their even own country?

I haven't.

I've lived in a few different parts of the country over the years, but there are
many states I've never visited, or seen only briefly... I haven't even explored
every region of my home state, California (which of course is a big state,
but still....)

Do most of us visit what's close by, make occasional excursions to
favorite vacation spots, but otherwise stay in the same orbit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,438 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Reputation: 19454
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
This is so judgmental and a sweeping condemnation of a large group of people.

For starters, you can't assume "all" Americans never travel. And what others choose to spend their money on is their business. Also, there are people who simply cannot afford to travel and don't want to take on debt to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 07:24 PM
 
5,247 posts, read 5,165,323 times
Reputation: 6242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is so judgmental and a sweeping condemnation of a large group of people.

For starters, you can't assume "all" Americans never travel. And what others choose to spend their money on is their business. Also, there are people who simply cannot afford to travel and don't want to take on debt to do so.
The OP also probably complains when people spend their money on traveling when it puts them into debt or uses up their savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,658 posts, read 6,266,537 times
Reputation: 11475
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.



Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
I don't think anything is wrong with us. The United States is a huge, geographically diverse country. While I personally love international travel, many Americans are content living in and traveling throughout the USA as opposed to overseas. I can't knock them for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top