U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 10:53 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
A sidelight to the original theme of this thread:
how many Americans have thoroughly explored their even own country?
We mix and match- this summer is a European river cruise with DIY time in Switzerland and Amsterdam on either end and then later on a week in Portland for a less frantic trip. For Portland, we were looking for a bigger city near mountains we hadn't been to yet, and it seems to offer urban fun as well as day trips to the Columbia River Gorge, Mount St. Helens (we're the right age that the eruption was nightly news staple during part of our childhoods) the Pacific Ocean, etc.

Next summer- Yosemite if I can get my act together and book the unicorn that is a reasonably priced hotel room in the valley proper, and then maybe Japan or eastern/central Europe- Berlin to Budapest to Vienna or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 478,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We mix and match- this summer is a European river cruise with DIY time in Switzerland and Amsterdam on either end and then later on a week in Portland for a less frantic trip. For Portland, we were looking for a bigger city near mountains we hadn't been to yet, and it seems to offer urban fun as well as day trips to the Columbia River Gorge, Mount St. Helens (we're the right age that the eruption was nightly news staple during part of our childhoods) the Pacific Ocean, etc.

Next summer- Yosemite if I can get my act together and book the unicorn that is a reasonably priced hotel room in the valley proper, and then maybe Japan or eastern/central Europe- Berlin to Budapest to Vienna or something like that.
Re Yosemite, havenít tried this myself ó but WRT staying in national parks, one reportedly can have good luck with this by repeatedly checking until somebody cancels a reservation. Apparently this happens with some frequency in most parks, and if you start early enough, the chances are good something will come free. Or so say the folks at the Fodorís travel forums.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:08 AM

5,941 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I got that question, "why did you go to...for?" quite a lot when I went to Nicaragua. I went to an island off the mainland, no roads, electricity was iffy at night, not much to do other than hang out. I loved it. Pretty much everyone else I encountered, mostly coworkers, could not figure out why I went there.
Little Corn?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:01 AM

9,152 posts, read 3,005,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
If this is actually true, it may be because many Americans fear that they will be held accountable for Donald Trump and will suffer reprisals, if they step outside our country.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:59 AM

904 posts, read 331,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If this is actually true, it may be because many Americans fear that they will be held accountable for Donald Trump and will suffer reprisals, if they step outside our country.
Well that is something we do not have to deal with. Can anyone here name the current Australian Prime Minister? We have had so many the past few years that it is said they have had to take off the question in dementia tests. And it is quite likely we will have another in a few weeks.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:26 AM

71,961 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
A sidelight to the original theme of this thread:
how many Americans have thoroughly explored their even own country?

I haven't.

I've lived in a few different parts of the country over the years, but there are
many states I've never visited, or seen only briefly... I haven't even explored
every region of my home state, California (which of course is a big state,
but still....)

Do most of us visit what's close by, make occasional excursions to
favorite vacation spots, but otherwise stay in the same orbit?
Very good point In many countries the train service alone makes traveling much easier than here. I have been lucky to be able to see all but 4 of our states but that is over several years. We also need to remember our country is massive compared to many European countries, as well as countries in other regions.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 AM

71,961 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Oh come on for heavens sake; this has nothing to do with international travel and this is not the politics forum!!!!! No one is so shallow as to not travel for a reason like that or I would hope they are not.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:20 AM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh come on for heavens sake; this has nothing to do with international travel and this is not the politics forum!!!!! No one is so shallow as to not travel for a reason like that or I would hope they are not.
And since this question has been asked long before Trump's presidency, it doesn't even make sense.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:54 AM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In other words, the dominant narrative of America is pop-culture, common-denominator, Heartland blue-collar.

Maybe in Ohio. In my state 50.2% of the adult labor force has at least a 4 year college degree. The inward migration is heavily skewed towards white collar professional workers. People travel because they're affluent enough to travel and they have a very different worldview than the blue collar heartland. There are working class people and poor cities but they're the minority.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 11 days ago)

9,524 posts, read 3,654,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The OP also probably complains when people spend their money on traveling when it puts them into debt or uses up their savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel