U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 8 days ago)

9,468 posts, read 3,639,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Maybe in Ohio. In my state 50.2% of the adult labor force has at least a 4 year college degree. The inward migration is heavily skewed towards white collar professional workers. People travel because they're affluent enough to travel and they have a very different worldview than the blue collar heartland. There are working class people and poor cities but they're the minority.
The ability to travel and having money are often all wrapped up together in the same package. I have done some traveling. The term" travel snob" is used to describe people who have traveled and now think they are "above" other people who haven't been to the same places. I have been around people like this and they think it's hip to diss Americans as being untraveled and uneducated. I used to work in the international department of a large oil company and I'm familiar with this attitude. The issue with this viewpoint is that America is a melting pot and there are many Americans here from other countries; so yes, they've traveled.

The reason many people don't travel is because they lack the funds to do so. Most people would love to visit other places. But they either don't have the money or don't have the time off work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 08:36 AM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The ability to travel and having money are often all wrapped up together in the same package. I have done some traveling. The term" travel snob" is used to describe people who have traveled and now think they are "above" other people who haven't been to the same places. I have been around people like this and they think it's hip to diss Americans as being untraveled and uneducated. I used to work in the international department of a large oil company and I'm familiar with this attitude. The issue with this viewpoint is that America is a melting pot and there are many Americans here from other countries; so yes, they've traveled.

The reason many people don't travel is because they lack the funds to do so. Most people would love to visit other places. But they either don't have the money or don't have the time off work.

So it's being a snob to have a different worldview because you're educated, affluent, and well-traveled? That sounds like a class-envy label to me.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:44 AM

56,014 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
So it's being a snob to have a different worldview because you're educated, affluent, and well-traveled? That sounds like a class-envy label to me.
I took it that the "snob" part comes when the educated, affluent, and well-traveled person thinks they are superior to others who don't have their resources or experiences.

I don't really know any such people personally, and if I encountered one, I would probably dismiss them as self-absorbed.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 AM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I took it that the "snob" part comes when the educated, affluent, and well-traveled person thinks they are superior to others who don't have their resources or experiences.

I don't really know any such people personally, and if I encountered one, I would probably dismiss them as self-absorbed.

In my life experience, "snob" is a label applied to affluent people for one superficial reason or another by someone much less affluent. It's typically totally independent of whether that affluent person actually thinks they're superior in any way. It's a socioeconomic class envy term.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 AM

629 posts, read 492,088 times
I think there is a tendency among some well travelled people to perhaps look down upon less expensive and less exotic vacations. The traveler who has been to Europe and Asia many times over is likely not going to be especially excited about the average middle class family's vacation to Orlando or Branson or to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico or the Dominican Republic.

That said, certainly not everyone who is well travelled is like this, and I'd like to think that most people with the means to travel frequently are not snobs. I am not wealthy but am fortunate enough to be pretty well travelled, and I'm VERY excited about the less expensive domestic vacations that we take with our young daughter.

But as others have said upstream, it's hard to separate out the issue of class and money, as it's extremely rare for poor and lower income people to be very well travelled.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:37 PM

71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
No, I would have to agree with Priscilla on this: it isn't envy at all, just the facts.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM

1,355 posts, read 545,573 times
Not all international travelers are affluent.

Backpacker-type usually go to places like Laos and Cambodia because things are damned cheap and they can stretch their dollars.

Affluent type go to more spectacular destinations, i.e. Galapagos.

There are a lot of high end US travelers who do international travel frequently. Read those magazines like National Geographic or Travel and Leisure.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Not all international travelers are affluent.

Backpacker-type usually go to places like Laos and Cambodia because things are damned cheap and they can stretch their dollars.

Affluent type go to more spectacular destinations, i.e. Galapagos.

There are a lot of high end US travelers who do international travel frequently. Read those magazines like National Geographic or Travel and Leisure.
My husband and I are on the low end of income and we did the Galapagos for a week. It's a myth that places like that are expensive.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:08 PM

1,355 posts, read 545,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My husband and I are on the low end of income and we did the Galapagos for a week. It's a myth that places like that are expensive.
My income is also considered low in Hawaii. I cannot afford Galapagos. But I am also not interested in Laos and Cambodia.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 04-08-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 PM

5,452 posts, read 2,294,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In any large and at least somewhat variegated country, and especially one with a prideful and vehemently nationalistic narrative, there is a prevailing view, that taking a deep personal interest in things abroad, is not a good value-proposition. That is, there are less costly and more efficient things to do back home. The idea, however narrow-minded, is at least more compelling here in the US, than it would be say in Japan or Switzerland, the former being a famously systematized and self-contained society, and the latter being a small country surrounded by larger ones.

That said, with travel, as with education, or interest in the arts, or really any technical or humanistic or cultural thing, America suffers from disparity between the achievement that it actually has made, and the cultural narrative with which it's saddled. For instance, an overwhelming amount of Nobel prizes and Fields Medals and patents belong to Americans, and yet we don't think of America as being a society of scientists or engineers. Some of the best symphony orchestras are American, and some of the best conductors and pianists and violinists are American citizens, and yet we don't think of America as a country of classical-music. Some of the tastiest beers are brewed in America, and yet with think of America as a country of Bud Lite.

In other words, the dominant narrative of America is pop-culture, common-denominator, Heartland blue-collar. The excellence that America offers is somehow blushingly hidden, and the mediocrity, boorishness and poor taste are proudly paraded. Returning to our theme, I am not persuaded that Americans as a people are somehow more insular, more dismissive of the world outside, more reluctant to travel, less intellectually curious, less interested in history or architecture or archaeology or anthropology, than are other peoples, or other nations. But the prevailing narrative says so. And the American voices that are more boorish, more insular, more populist, less curious and less sophisticated, are move voluble and more influential than are their opposites. America somehow relishes making itself look stupid.

This is the most bizarre post I've read today on CD. Put down your quill pen and get out and talk to real people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel