U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 14 days ago)

9,563 posts, read 3,670,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
It makes me laugh how those who were born to privileged parents here in the US use international travel to lord over those who haven’t traveled.
Makes me laugh, too. They cannot recognize or own up to their privilege. When I was in college, it was always the wealthiest students who were doing study abroad programs; then coming back after a semester in Europe and talking about how "superior" they were now that they'd lived overseas for a few months. Then expected everyone else to kiss their behinds. But the international students on campus must have been laughing at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 01:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 549,081 times
I would say for those who don't like international travel, everyone has a different reason.

Some reasons are really simple. Most people live in a routine way daily, i.e. wake up at 7, eat breakfast at 7:30, then bathroom at 8 etc. But if you go on international travel, all these routines are ruined especially if you are in a tour group. You are supposed to get into the tour bus after breakfast right away. So constipation is very common.

For seniors who haven't done international travel yet, I advise them to do soon because the premium for travel insurance starts to rise after 65, more after 70, and up to certain age like 75 or 80, many carriers do not offer policy any more.

For seasoned travelers, if you renew your passport, there is an option to ask for a "thicker" passport with more pages without extra charge. I usually renewed mine before it expired because there were no more blank pages. A passport without blank page is a legitimate reason for entry refusal.

And for a fellow poster who worries about lack of tool for self-defense, most likely he over-worries. Most well-established Asian and European tourist cities are safer than average big cities in US. Even in U.S. , you cannot carry a concealed weapon on the street in every city, i.e. not allowed in Honolulu.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:29 PM

1,365 posts, read 549,081 times
I don't think OP is bragging when he talks about travel to Laos and Cambodia. International travel is so inexpensive nowadays that almost every Middle Class family can afford it if they have the time.

Bragging applies only when one talks about his travel experience in certain destination which is quite inaccessible, due to political or financial reason, i.e. Tibet.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:50 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,019,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I don't think OP is bragging when he talks about travel to Laos and Cambodia. International travel is so inexpensive nowadays that almost every Middle Class family can afford it if they have the time.
I hear over and over again how vloggers get these expense-paid trips to tour around the world. So yeah, people can travel free nowadays.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 PM

14 posts, read 3,502 times
Only for the top influencers, the rest of the vloggers get crumbs tho.

But that said, with respect to the OP post, i think travel should open up the minds of people more, allowing one to see the fine, diverse threads of life, rather than draw broad strokes of conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I hear over and over again how vloggers get these expense-paid trips to tour around the world. So yeah, people can travel free nowadays.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:43 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,288,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I got it just before NPS drastically raised the price of senior park pass (but it is still a good deal after the price increase).

IMO Disney Theme Park in US is very unfriendly to Senior. While another Disney Theme Park overseas offers Senior discount ($13 for 65+), those two in US just offer discount to children but not Senior.
Made it in just under the wire myself. $80 for a lifetime pass isn't bad, but it's not as good as $10.

Seniors are not Disney's target audience, so I don't believe that they are too worried about marketing to us. They are more interested in families who will bring at least four people into the park in a single visit.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:54 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,324,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
It could take years to build your "brand" to get to that point, where the all exclusive resorts and travel boards are flying you in to advertise and promote them. If you're a young cute couple in your 20's or early 30's (that's not ashamed to show the T & A), have good camera gear and editing skills, you might be able to speed up that process to a year before companies will start paying for your trips.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:29 AM

5,959 posts, read 2,900,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It could take years to build your "brand" to get to that point, where the all exclusive resorts and travel boards are flying you in to advertise and promote them.
I bet for every 1,000 travel bloggers trying to reach the point where people are paying for their travel you have over 990 that never get past spare change from a few ad clicks.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:35 AM

5,287 posts, read 3,324,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I bet for every 1,000 travel bloggers trying to reach the point where people are paying for their travel you have over 990 that never get past spare change from a few ad clicks.
No doubt, it's a lot easier said than done, I like to compare it to almost winning the lottery. With so many bloggers and vloggers out there, the market is so oversaturated and it gets a lot harder to find an audience with so many covering the exact same thing.

You really need to find your niche and even then there's no guarantees. It seems like many of the big bloggers are the ones that started years, maybe even a decade ago and just slogged through and built a slow but steady following over that time.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:39 AM

1,352 posts, read 693,016 times
The world should be grateful most Americans don't want to travel. You'd all be annoyed moreso than being around your typical American tourist. They would complain about everything that isn't like it is in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel