U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Crime in Managua is far worse than New York City, personally I feel a lot safer in most areas of New York City than Managua.
NYC is a target for terrorism. No one is trying to terrorize Managua, so that's one thing.

Day to day crimes, sure Managua statistically has more, but they are more low-profile than NYC when it comes to terrorism and mass shootings and things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:13 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
NYC is a target for terrorism. No one is trying to terrorize Managua, so that's one thing.

Day to day crimes, sure Managua statistically has more, but they are more low-profile than NYC when it comes to terrorism and mass shootings and things like that.
Nope.

Okay, when was the last time someone was killed in a terrorist attack in NYC? Meanwhile in Managua throughout much of last year there were mass protests that involved shootings, protesters making road blocks to stop traffic, government thugs shooting people. It wasn't just in the neighborhoods either, our taxi got caught up in stopped traffic due to protesters with homemade mortars right outside the airport.

Actually strife on a city-level is a lot more dangerous than a place being a target.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Nope.

Okay, when was the last time someone was killed in a terrorist attack in NYC? Meanwhile in Managua throughout much of last year there were mass protests that involved shootings, protesters making road blocks to stop traffic, government thugs shooting people. It wasn't just in the neighborhoods either, our taxi got caught up in stopped traffic due to protesters with homemade mortars right outside the airport.

Actually strife on a city-level is a lot more dangerous than a place being a target.

I wasn't in Managua last year. I was there before all that. It was safer then perhaps. I don't go out in NYC @ night.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
I don't go out in NYC @ night.

Why the heck not? That's when all the fun is going on and one of the great things about NY. You can catch a show at 9 or so, and then there is bound to be an after show starting at midnight or one. So much fun!

Old 04-24-2019, 12:10 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,782,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
I like to rail against Americans and their reliance on comforts as much as the next guy (and they don't travel enough and they are too comfortable), but part of this is based on the sheer immensity of the country geographically. If you live in Indiana, you're living in a state that is twice the size of Slovakia, and you have to imagine that residents in these states have probably traveled somewhat considerably throughout the U.S., so it's akin to European residents traveling through Europe.

Where I get annoyed with Americans is traveling every year to Disneyworld/Disneyland when they leave so many intriguing destinations untouched around the world and even around their own country.

But the size of the U.S. absolutely plays into your perception of Americans are traveling less and have fewer stamps in their passports.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Granted I live in a ‘results not typical’ area but when I was in a local Panera today, I overheard the people working in the kitchen there talking about figuring different ways to save up for a trip of a lifetime to Europe and how they’d wished they’d gotten to Paris before the Norte Dame fire.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:35 PM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Whatís a ďresults not typical areaĒ?

Iím in New England. From Boston, there are tons of nonstop flights to Europe that are steeply discounted off peak. Paris in late-September is cheaper than an Orlando mouse ears trip. Ireland is only 5 1/2 hours flight time. Asia is halfway around world and a big deal but Europe isnít. You just canít get many good travel deals in the summer.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:07 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
The locals here seem to travel a lot more than many other places out there. Lots of military types who did sign on to see the world, others with family overseas, civilians who just like to explore themselves...

Old 04-24-2019, 03:35 PM

4,422 posts, read 4,289,872 times
I probably posted on this earlier in the thread, but don't feel like looking for it. I've traveled overseas a fair amount, and would have traveled more if I weren't single the past decade. I don't like travelling alone because I want to share experiences with someone. It just makes it so much better. I did go to Europe alone year and a half ago, and it was a pretty awful experience. I've also been to Buenos Aires alone, as well as Cancun. Two out of three of those trips sucked, mostly because I had nobody to share it with.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:15 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,583,756 times
Quote:
...... I don't go out in NYC @ night.
This is an absolutely ridiculous & out of touch statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel