U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Yes I am and yes Vietnam was cheap. But it would be cheap for Americans too, cheaper for you when you are there because of the exchange rate. Flights, I am not sure. There were about half a million American tourists last year who went to Vietnam so for sure some travel.

I imagine that the main reason Americans do not travel as much as some others is the short amount of vacation time that you get. It is so much less than almost any other developed countries. DD knocked back a transfer from London to the US for that reason. There would have been little time to do the travelling which she loved whereas in the U.K. she was getting six weeks a year paid leave. It was even offered in advance, which it is not here. She was able to get half a years leave after being there three months.
Yes. I got a whole meal there that was the equivalent of about USD $2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 08:01 PM

7 posts, read 3,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Even if many can afford to travel overseas many have the attitude everything is better in the USA, why would they want to go anywhere else?
You want to see why they are not as better as the U.S.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 3,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter has lived in Beijing and Chengdu, traveled to South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, and spent a month traveling alone through Europe. She said the place she feels most unsafe is in the United States.
In most places of the world, people do not carry weapons. When they fight, they fight with fists. So you will not get killed easily like in the U.S. Of course, terrorist attacks are a different story, even those things are not as frequently happening as the school shootings in the U.S.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times
Post "feels most unsafe" can be entirely disconnected from the reality of "is most unsafe"

It can take me most of a day to get to other parts of America, so I need a pretty good incentive to burn an day or more of my hard-earned vacation time just to get "overseas". Not saying I don't travel overseas, but rarely and only for good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Quote:
My daughter has lived in Beijing and Chengdu, traveled to South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, and spent a month traveling alone through Europe. She said the place she feels most unsafe is in the United States.
In most places of the world, people do not carry weapons. When they fight, they fight with fists. So you will not get killed easily like in the U.S. Of course, terrorist attacks are a different story, even those things are not as frequently happening as the school shootings in the U.S.
That's a very misleading and unrealistic way to look at risk. Doesn't help that the American media encourages this faulty perception.

Of the countries mentioned above,, the Philippines is probably the most dangerous for a woman traveling alone -- and that has nothing at all to do with weapons or politics or terrorism.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:27 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,519,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Hand-to-hand fighting has killed more people in the US than rifles.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:43 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Hand-to-hand fighting has killed more people in the US than rifles.
Obviously this requires some context, there are far more hand to hand fights.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:10 AM

370 posts, read 435,114 times
It all comes down to sociology-economics. People who have the time and the means travel in both the US and abroad. Exotic travel is appealing to some as it makes for more interesting conversation than talking about a trip to LA or NYC (where people in that social circle have all been a million times. If you’ve been to Europe and most parts of Asia you will soon realize that safety issues are way overblown. In fact many foreign countries warn their citizens about the danger of traveling in the US. We are all more comfortable with what is familiar

Old 05-24-2019, 05:45 AM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteATL41 View Post
It all comes down to sociology-economics. People who have the time and the means travel in both the US and abroad. Exotic travel is appealing to some as it makes for more interesting conversation than talking about a trip to LA or NYC (where people in that social circle have all been a million times. If youíve been to Europe and most parts of Asia you will soon realize that safety issues are way overblown. In fact many foreign countries warn their citizens about the danger of traveling in the US. We are all more comfortable with what is familiar
And distance, and vacation time.

Europeans of even moderate means can travel to other countries relatively inexpensively because they are so close. With enough time, taking a fairly cheap train can get you to a dozen countries. A German visiting Italy is a bit like somebody from Ohio going to Graceland in Tennessee.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:39 PM

629 posts, read 492,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
And distance, and vacation time.

Europeans of even moderate means can travel to other countries relatively inexpensively because they are so close. With enough time, taking a fairly cheap train can get you to a dozen countries. A German visiting Italy is a bit like somebody from Ohio going to Graceland in Tennessee.

This is spot on. I live in the NYC area and our trip to Utah's national parks this summer covers 2,200 miles between airplane and car travel. That is the rough equivalent of travelling from Portugal in the western tip of Europe to Romania. For most Americans who have only a week to 10 days max for a single vacation, it makes sense to choose destinations that they can get to relatively quickly and inexpensively. In Europe it's just much, much easier to take international vacations.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:41 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,426,389 times
I think many Americans are intimidated by leaving the country, be it a language barrier (real or perceived) or different customs or different food. I'm pretty well-traveled and still experience some intimidation when going somewhere new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel