U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I think many Americans are intimidated by leaving the country, be it a language barrier (real or perceived) or different customs or different food. I'm pretty well-traveled and still experience some intimidation when going somewhere new.
Language barrier is definitely a concern with some foreign nations, particularly once you venture out of the primary tourist-friendly areas. As for food, it's tough to really get away from "American" food entirely. Fly to Amsterdam and the first "coffeeshop" you'll see is a Starbucks.

In Asia, even with the language barrier, just look for the familiar color schemes.

(All photos original to, copyright by, me. License terms: CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)

Last edited by Nonesuch; 05-24-2019 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: All photos original to, copyright by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Yep always the familiar colors...

Old 05-25-2019, 03:15 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,638 times
Post Insurance coverage for trip interruption and foreign medical evacuation

Another reason some Americans may not leave the country -- insurance costs. Generally US health insurance will cover you if you have an emergency anywhere in the states, and you can have confidence in the care provided.

When traveling to other countries, even nations with superb health care, just getting back to the USA could be prohibitively expensive, and trip insurance adds hundreds to the cost of a 1-2 week intercontinental vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
The "7 & i holdings" signs in Tokyo are are interesting case, they're legitimate 7-11 stores; the Japanese government mandated updated signs when they changed their corporate structure.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:

When traveling to other countries, even nations with superb health care, just getting back to the USA could be prohibitively expensive, and trip insurance adds hundreds to the cost of a 1-2 week intercontinental vacation.
If you only do the health and evacuation coverage, you can find adequate travel insurance for a month long trip for under $100. Just got a policy like that for an upcoming European holiday.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:13 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,318,921 times
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my own main personal reason (other than cost), is that I am a professional with 15 years' experience, and I still only get 8 days of paid vacation per year.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but Americans generally get much less vacation time than Europeans, Aussies, etc. You could say that we are wasting our lives by working so much, or you could say that other countries could be much more productive if their citizens worked more. But anyway...

I remember a trip to Walt Disney World that my family took a few years ago. My wife and I had saved-up both money and vacation time for 4 years, just so we could spend 10 days in Orlando with our kids. During that trip, I remember talking to a lady with a heavy British accent on a bus, who casually mentioned "my husband and I decided to make a last-minute trip to the States. It's a short one. We're only going to be over here for less than a month. We're taking a big trip to Canada this next fall".

To me, that right there is why Americans don't travel...

Old 05-26-2019, 02:58 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
The "7 & i holdings" signs in Tokyo are are interesting case, they're legitimate 7-11 stores; the Japanese government mandated updated signs when they changed their corporate structure.
I'll raise you.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:15 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
And distance, and vacation time.

Europeans of even moderate means can travel to other countries relatively inexpensively because they are so close. With enough time, taking a fairly cheap train can get you to a dozen countries. A German visiting Italy is a bit like somebody from Ohio going to Graceland in Tennessee.
Yep. A lot of it comes down to vacation and travel time. I really don't think Americans are the rubes that a lot of folks want to portray us as.

I get 21 days of total PTO. Six of those have to be reserved to pay myself for the major holidays. Throw in a few incidental sick days annually, you might have a little over two weeks vacation to use for all purposes.

I rolled over four days from last year, and I'm taking my first weeklong vacation in three years next month. I live in a small town in TN. The regional airport here only has a few season nonstop flights to select FL destinations, and connects in Atlanta/Charlotte for everything else. A flight to the west coast is easily 8-10 hours, and that's with a short layover. An overseas flight will be the better part of a day, if not spilling into a second day, on each end.

TYS is the closest decent sized airport, but that's two hours away.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:21 AM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Yep. A lot of it comes down to vacation and travel time. I really don't think Americans are the rubes that a lot of folks want to portray us as.
Enough are so that everybody who travels internationally has a cringeworthy story about American travelers. Maybe it is simply confirmation bias, but I have seen incredibly boorish behavior from Americans. Certainly not all Americans, but enough that I remember it.

I remember one American family in Turkey screaming at a customs official that they should not be searched because they were Christians. I was at a pub in England where they had an amazing selection of locally brewed, cask conditioned ales and a man was berating the bartender for not having Budweiser on draft. I stated at a B&B where an American woman screamed at the innkeeper about the mattress and bullied her into buying a different one.

I have seen rude people from other countries too, so perhaps the reputation is undeserved, but it does exist.

Quote:
TYS is the closest decent sized airport, but that's two hours away.
That is nothing. Consider the two hours to be an investment in obtaining better flight options. I have frequently lived that far from the nearest airport, and I have never considered it to be a problem.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We're rubes to put up with such horrible benefits so we can be more "productive" and make the elite even wealthier.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM

7,309 posts, read 4,151,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Now I want to travel to Asia to try those "not quite what you think they are" places out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel