U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 AM

7,302 posts, read 4,148,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Enough are so that everybody who travels internationally has a cringeworthy story about American travelers. Maybe it is simply confirmation bias, but I have seen incredibly boorish behavior from Americans. Certainly not all Americans, but enough that I remember it.
Everybody notices the boorish behavior from tourists of their own nationality more than they do equally boorish behavior from tourists of other nationalities. (I think it's the embarrassment factor at play.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 01:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
I think it's a combination of embarrassment and them thinking of themselves as the "good" tourist from their country who is somehow enlightened so enjoys the right to be scornful and stereotype the others from their country.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:39 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,294,216 times
Just entering the planning stages for a family reunion. Something quintessentially American. . Starting with exchanges of e-mail.

Likely time is summer of next year. This will probably be my first real vacation for the decade of the '20s.

So far two possible locations have been suggested:

1. Silver Park Lodge near Durango, CO.

2. Mahoney State Park near Omaha, NE.

It occurred to me that these would mean domestic travel, rather than international. Then it occurred to me that I don't remember any of our family reunions being held in another country.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:52 AM

8,931 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Just entering the planning stages for a family reunion. Something quintessentially American. . Starting with exchanges of e-mail.

Likely time is summer of next year. This will probably be my first real vacation for the decade of the '20s.

So far two possible locations have been suggested:

1. Silver Park Lodge near Durango, CO.

2. Mahoney State Park near Omaha, NE.

It occurred to me that these would mean domestic travel, rather than international. Then it occurred to me that I don't remember any of our family reunions being held in another country.
Unless your family largely lives in another country, that makes sense. Generally they are held in proximity to where a large number of family members live.

I donít think the OP was really questioning why family reunions are not held internationally.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:47 PM

2,545 posts, read 1,634,457 times
High homeownership rate also contributed to less travel far.

I loved travel and had been to 50 countries.

But since I bought my house, I travel much less. I now have pets to take care of( you are less likely to have pet if renting), plants to water so I cannot travel too long. Since I am now homeowner, I started buying stuff for my house, decoration, renovations... Extra money for travel now can be used to pay off the house sooner....

Old 06-02-2019, 08:35 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,202 posts, read 1,578,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
You started out with an anecdotal example of yourself so I cannot help but answer the query you posed with an anecdotal of myself....I personally travel abroad as well as domestically as do millions of others. Maybe the small sample size based on your vacations were skewed. Americans do indeed travel overseas. Ive personally debated people traveling abroad extensively but who have yet to see every state.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 AM

128 posts, read 109,964 times
Question Why do so few Americans travel to other countries in comparison to other nationalities?

Compared to Aussies (Australians), Kiwis (New Zealanders), Canucks (Canadians), Brits, Irish, Continental Europeans and potentially others too, it seems to me that so few Americans (Yanks) visit other countries in the world, I read on some website that only a 1/3s of Americans have passports which is 35% of Americans which leads me to believe from that statistic that 2/3s of Americans don't (65%) and hence as a result never have been abroad. Why is this the case, from what I read online so far is that the 2 most quoted reasons Americans don't travel abroad is either a) Time off and b) finances but to me its gotta be a lot more than just those 2 reasons (not saying those reasons aren't important factors) , is there anything deeper beyond Time off and finances that stop Americans wanting to go overseas, just a question I have wanted to know for a long time as an Aussie. Please enlighten me.???

PS. Don't mean to disrespect y'all.

Last edited by mej210390; 06-24-2019 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: more details.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:15 AM

30,322 posts, read 27,780,270 times
Americans get very little time off from work so they’re limited to how they spend their vacation time. Also there is so much to see or places to visit right in the U.S. that they tend to travel shorter distances within the country. And unfortunately too many Americans are not interested in foreign countries or their history.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:32 AM

890 posts, read 459,492 times
Along with limited vacation time and finances, unfortunately one must add some isolationist and uninformed cultural attitudes that remain in many areas of the country. Sad but true.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM

616 posts, read 152,488 times
I can give a couple of reasons:

a) The U.S. has a lot of beautiful sites well worth visiting, so Americans don't need to travel abroad to enjoy a vacation.
b) Constant anti-American criticism makes visiting many foreign countries less than appealing.

If Americans want to travel abroad, they often head for the sunny vacation spots in Mexico or the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel