U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 02:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
^ Agree.

I have been to a lot of European Countries. After awhile it seems to be the same--cobblestone streets, old churches, old buildings. I love visiting there, but I can see why Americans don't necessarily need to leave their country.

America--you can go to Nevada, Wyoming, Rhode Island, Florida, California, Utah, Alaska, Hawaii, Washington DC, etc. ---they are all so different, almost different Cultures. One can see different things without leaving their Country.
I wonder if Europeans are completely shocked if they hear that someone has never left Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 PM

2,545 posts, read 1,634,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wonder if Europeans are completely shocked if they hear that someone has never left Europe.
Most of them never left Europe.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 PM

5,432 posts, read 2,758,123 times
If I live in Germany, I can travel a couple thousand miles and say I've visited 30 countries. If I live in Kansas and travel a couple thousand miles in any direction, the odds are good I could only say I've visited one country, or maybe three with Canada and Mexico. Big difference.

You're comparing apples to oranges. If you want to know the answer, then you have to compare oranges to oranges. If we're going to ask why people in the US don't travel abroad, then the only thing to compare that to is to ask if people in other countries have ever visited the US and took their time to see all 50 states and go coast to coast? Then we're talking about the same situation.

It's one thing for a European to make a trip from say, London to New York. It's something else for this European to travel from London to New York to Chicago to Seattle to San Francisco to Dallas to Atlanta and back. How many people can afford that? Roughly the same number of people who can afford to travel from Denver or Topeka or Minneapolis to Dublin to London to Paris to Rome to Berlin to Moscow and back. Some people can afford that and some people do. But that's not the case for the majority of people in the US.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:16 PM

5,580 posts, read 3,924,156 times
The United States is huge and has a lot of variety within our own borders. Also, most Americans are quite a distance from an international border. Even in Canada, most Canadians live relatively near the United States due to the extremely harsh conditions in northern Canada.

That being said, I haven't traveled abroad yet but I'm only 26. I suspect in ten years I will have.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 PM

4,368 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Easy. Americans have to fly across thousands of miles of ocean to visit another country. School children in Belgium can ride their bikes to four countries on a weekend.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 PM

893 posts, read 327,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Easy. Americans have to fly across thousands of miles of ocean to visit another country. School children in Belgium can ride their bikes to four countries on a weekend.
I believe that in general, where there is a will there is a way.
We fly for about five or six hours before we are out of Australia if we are heading to Asia and Europe.
However I can certainly understand that lack of vacation time is a limiting factor.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:37 PM

43,543 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Bc unless you want to go to South/Central America or Canada, you gotta fly a bazillion hours to get anywhere.

I guess the Carib is there, too...but it's not much of a cultural vacation.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 PM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times
The real reason a lot of Americans donít travel to other countries is because they simply donít care. The rest of the world just isnít on their radar screens.

You wanted to know the truth.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 PM

5,269 posts, read 3,311,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Not this again.
That's what I was thinking, might as well just use the search function and "cut and paste" everyone's response from a few months ago on this very topic from those old threads. Maybe it's time to make this one of those stickies in the Travel forum since it seems every few months this exact same topic comes up over and over and over and over and over yet again, and the same exact answers are given over and over and over and over ad nauseam, it's almost like beating a dead horse!

Last edited by cjseliga; 06-24-2019 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 10:35 PM

4,256 posts, read 7,141,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Compared to Aussies (Australians), Kiwis (New Zealanders), Canucks (Canadians), Brits, Irish, Continental Europeans and potentially others too, it seems to me that so few Americans (Yanks) visit other countries in the world, I read on some website that only a 1/3s of Americans have passports which is 35% of Americans which leads me to believe from that statistic that 2/3s of Americans don't (65%) and hence as a result never have been abroad. Why is this the case, from what I read online so far is that the 2 most quoted reasons Americans don't travel abroad is either a) Time off and b) finances but to me its gotta be a lot more than just those 2 reasons (not saying those reasons aren't important factors) , is there anything deeper beyond Time off and finances that stop Americans wanting to go overseas, just a question I have wanted to know for a long time as an Aussie. Please enlighten me.???

PS. Don't mean to disrespect y'all.
Just because someone does not have a current passport does not mean they didn't have one in the past. So speculating that 2/3 of Yanks have not been to a foreign country is just a wild guess.

America has enough destinations to keep anyone busy for their entire life. I've been around, lived in Germany, I really have no desire to go visiting. There are a few places I would like to see, but I have home responsibilities that are more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel