U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 AM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times

Advertisements

The number one reason? Cost. International travel is not inexpensive. Second, lack of interest. I have met many Americans who would prefer Disney World or Las Vegas to a foreign country.

Along the same lines, there are Americans who are very uncomfortable with foriegn foods. I know someone who had to travel to a European country and was so relieved that they had a McDonald's. I don't understand it, but I have heard it.

In defense of Americans, as opposed to Europeans, intra-Europe travel is pretty much like visiting another state. Most countries are small and close together.

There are also Americans who think that "everything anyone would want is here". Again, I do not understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 AM

903 posts, read 330,269 times
Ah well, each to their own.

Was chatting about two friends who are at the end of a ten week European trip, involving staying in about thirty different locations. Another friend said it was the last thing on earth she would ever want to do.

Must confess I have gotten to the stage of preferring to be away up to four weeks but no longer. It is much easier these days to do that as the flights are so much cheaper. However I find it hard to think of doing a twenty-four hour flight and only staying for a couple of weeks, as some of our friends do.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:46 AM

5,940 posts, read 2,891,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Along the same lines, there are Americans who are very uncomfortable with foriegn foods. I know someone who had to travel to a European country and was so relieved that they had a McDonald's. I don't understand it, but I have heard it.
In my experience USA has the most culturally diverse dining opportunities in the world, not even close. It's what comes with a land of immigrants and lots of immigrant communities. That goes for both restaurants and grocery stores. In most medium sized cities in USA I could hop in a car and find Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Peruvian, Italian, Indian, Greek etc. and depending city/size much more Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Taiwanese, Ethiopian, Pakistani, Moroccan, Lebanese, Colombian, Cuban, Brazilian, Afghani, Turkish, Filipino, Armenian, on and on.

Some people in all countries aren't comfortable with foreign food, but calling out Americans specifically is nonsensical there is tons of foreign food exposure and I suspect if you dug up a list of reason Americans don't travel "uncomfortable with foreign food" would be near the bottom of it.

Last edited by lieqiang; 06-25-2019 at 01:57 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 05:52 AM

18,524 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Compared to Aussies (Australians), Kiwis (New Zealanders), Canucks (Canadians), Brits, Irish, Continental Europeans and potentially others too, it seems to me that so few Americans (Yanks) visit other countries in the world, I read on some website that only a 1/3s of Americans have passports which is 35% of Americans which leads me to believe from that statistic that 2/3s of Americans don't (65%) and hence as a result never have been abroad. Why is this the case, from what I read online so far is that the 2 most quoted reasons Americans don't travel abroad is either a) Time off and b) finances but to me its gotta be a lot more than just those 2 reasons (not saying those reasons aren't important factors) , is there anything deeper beyond Time off and finances that stop Americans wanting to go overseas, just a question I have wanted to know for a long time as an Aussie. Please enlighten me.???

PS. Don't mean to disrespect y'all.
Only the Chinese spend more on international travel than Americans so this is somewhat a myth although Americans travel less per person than Aussies or Canucks and I think the biggest reason is we have so many great places within our border that most take their vacations in country.

By the way, Mexico gets 15 times more American tourists than any European country so that's where we usually go on vacay.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 AM

3,185 posts, read 1,671,078 times
It's quite expensive to fly overseas from the U.S. unless you live in a major hub like NYC. Atlanta is a major hub but mostly for Delta and they can charge whatever they want and get it.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
In my experience USA has the most culturally diverse dining opportunities in the world, not even close. It's what comes with a land of immigrants and lots of immigrant communities. That goes for both restaurants and grocery stores. In most medium sized cities in USA I could hop in a car and find Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Peruvian, Italian, Indian, Greek etc. and depending city/size much more Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Taiwanese, Ethiopian, Pakistani, Moroccan, Lebanese, Colombian, Cuban, Brazilian, Afghani, Turkish, Filipino, Armenian, on and on.

Some people in all countries aren't comfortable with foreign food, but calling out Americans specifically is nonsensical there is tons of foreign food exposure and I suspect if you dug up a list of reason Americans don't travel "uncomfortable with foreign food" would be near the bottom of it.
I have to agree with this. In some of the countries I have visited, while the local food has been amazing it isn't diverse. Most recently, I experienced this in Morocco. It was difficult to find non Moroccan fare, especially in the Medina in Marrakech. Granted we are used to a bastardized version of most international cuisine, but I would suspect that few American have not been exposed to food that originated in another country.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:59 AM

7,737 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Ah well, each to their own.

Was chatting about two friends who are at the end of a ten week European trip, involving staying in about thirty different locations. Another friend said it was the last thing on earth she would ever want to do.

Must confess I have gotten to the stage of preferring to be away up to four weeks but no longer. It is much easier these days to do that as the flights are so much cheaper. However I find it hard to think of doing a twenty-four hour flight and only staying for a couple of weeks, as some of our friends do.
Most A,ericams don't have that much time off. VERY few bosses will allow that. Not to mention who has that kind of money for food and lodging?

Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 PM

4,029 posts, read 7,674,653 times
I can barely handle a 4-5 hr flight across country. I would not survive a flight to Europe

Old 06-25-2019, 08:08 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,295,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Compared to Aussies (Australians), Kiwis (New Zealanders), Canucks (Canadians), Brits, Irish, Continental Europeans and potentially others too, it seems to me that so few Americans (Yanks) visit other countries in the world, I read on some website that only a 1/3s of Americans have passports which is 35% of Americans which leads me to believe from that statistic that 2/3s of Americans don't (65%) and hence as a result never have been abroad. Why is this the case, from what I read online so far is that the 2 most quoted reasons Americans don't travel abroad is either a) Time off and b) finances but to me its gotta be a lot more than just those 2 reasons (not saying those reasons aren't important factors) , is there anything deeper beyond Time off and finances that stop Americans wanting to go overseas, just a question I have wanted to know for a long time as an Aussie. Please enlighten me.???

PS. Don't mean to disrespect y'all.
No, there isn't anything deeper. There doesn't need to be anything deeper, because lack of time/lack of money are severe bottlenecks..

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-25-2019 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 04:08 AM

11 posts, read 1,626 times
Passport: Apply several weeks ahead of time for any new passport. ...
Visas: You may want to obtain a visa before you decide to visit an overseas destination. ...
Medications: Some prescription medications, including narcotics and a few U.S. over-the-counter medications, are illegal far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel