U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:28 PM

708 posts, read 612,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Pretty lame excuse. 90% of the American population lives within 58 miles of an airport, and most of those live near a major airport with international flights.

So approximately 300 million people are within reasonable distance to air travel.
If you live in NYC or LA or Seattle it is easy. If you live in a rural town 3 hours away from a regional airport you have to either drive 3 hours a day earlier and stay overnight in a hotel or get up super early and drive 3 hours to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time (always build in extra time). Then you have to fly to another airport and get a connecting flight and if on another airline check in and go through security all over again. If you want to go to Europe or Asia you then have to go on an 8-15 hour flight and do the same thing on the way back. Try doing that with a family of 5 with 3 young kids. Thatís why if people travel outside the U.S. a lot travel no further than Hawaii, Mexico or the Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 09:23 PM

9,481 posts, read 8,730,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
If you live in NYC or LA or Seattle it is easy. If you live in a rural town 3 hours away from a regional airport you have to either drive 3 hours a day earlier and stay overnight in a hotel or get up super early and drive 3 hours to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time (always build in extra time). Then you have to fly to another airport and get a connecting flight and if on another airline check in and go through security all over again. If you want to go to Europe or Asia you then have to go on an 8-15 hour flight and do the same thing on the way back. Try doing that with a family of 5 with 3 young kids. Thatís why if people travel outside the U.S. a lot travel no further than Hawaii, Mexico or the Caribbean.
Your post makes no sense.

I already posted some analysis that shows 90% of people live within 58 miles of a major airport. I already acknowledged that it is more difficult for the small minority of people who live farther than that. Why focus on the minority, particularly when I said that it was reasonable for the minority to take travel time into account?

As for distances flown, that is a terrible excuse. I live on the west coast and it takes 5 hours to fly to Hawaii, which you said is reasonable. When I lived on the east coast, it took me 6 hours to fly to Europe. That is a very minor difference. When I flew to Turkey a few years ago it took me about 10 hours, but I spent several days hanging out with Australian people who took 20+ hours to get there. Why is it more difficult for an AMerican to travel 10 hours than an Australian to travel 20?

Yes, of course people everywhere are going to favor shorter trips. Already acknowledged. And some people are not going to want to travel. Also acknowledged. But letís be reasonable and stop advancing previously debunked reasons for not traveling.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:39 PM

149 posts, read 54,004 times
Some have no curiosity. I used to do land vacations. Now I only do cruises. I have enjoyed different cruises like transatlantics, South America, Russia/Scandinavia and French Polynesia. Experiencing different cultures helps a person to grow in many ways.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 07-03-2019 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 07-04-2019, 09:19 AM

15,003 posts, read 8,803,117 times
The flight is too expensive. That's the only thing that stops me.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:52 PM

896 posts, read 1,116,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Your post makes no sense.

I already posted some analysis that shows 90% of people live within 58 miles of a major airport. I already acknowledged that it is more difficult for the small minority of people who live farther than that. Why focus on the minority, particularly when I said that it was reasonable for the minority to take travel time into account?

As for distances flown, that is a terrible excuse. I live on the west coast and it takes 5 hours to fly to Hawaii, which you said is reasonable. When I lived on the east coast, it took me 6 hours to fly to Europe. That is a very minor difference. When I flew to Turkey a few years ago it took me about 10 hours, but I spent several days hanging out with Australian people who took 20+ hours to get there. Why is it more difficult for an AMerican to travel 10 hours than an Australian to travel 20?

Yes, of course people everywhere are going to favor shorter trips. Already acknowledged. And some people are not going to want to travel. Also acknowledged. But let’s be reasonable and stop advancing previously debunked reasons for not traveling.
The link you posted said that 90% of people live within 58 minutes of an airport with domestic flights. Many of these airports have few or no international flights, that would only be on certain days of the week. I live within an hour of three different airports that have more than two million passengers a year, and yet to fly across the US to Seattle, I had to take four different flights. From the interior of the country, it's already fairly exhausting to get to an airport with the international flight on the day I want to the location I want.

Last edited by dxdtdemon; 07-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: making more of a point

Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 PM

1,837 posts, read 859,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
The link you posted said that 90% of people live within 58 minutes of an airport with domestic flights. Many of these airports have few or no international flights, that would only be on certain days of the week. I live within an hour of three different airports that have more than two million passengers a year, and yet to fly across the US to Seattle, I had to take four different flights. From the interior of the country, it's already fairly exhausting to get to an airport with the international flight on the day I want to the location I want.
It's easier to find cheap flights between NYC and Europe than Tulsa and NYC.

Domestic flights are ridiculously expensive if you live in a smaller city.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:26 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,125,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The flight is too expensive. That's the only thing that stops me.
While expensive is relative here are a few recent, of what I would consider affordable deals, in that they are the same as what you would expect to pay from NYC.

Houston to Thailand for $528

Houston to Peru for $385

Houston to Switzerland for $466

Old 07-07-2019, 11:21 AM

1,084 posts, read 389,442 times
True travel junkies live for their next trip and make certain sacrifices to be able to afford this hobby. My wife and I will plan one big international trip per year. We save thru the entire year to finance it. This means less meals out, older cars, cutting corners etc. it’s a sacrifice that we feel is worth it. Traveling is addicting.

But I feel most Americans don’t feel the same as we do. Not uncommon for us to arrive in a given city and see folks from everywhere except America.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:11 AM

1,837 posts, read 859,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
True travel junkies live for their next trip and make certain sacrifices to be able to afford this hobby. My wife and I will plan one big international trip per year. We save thru the entire year to finance it. This means less meals out, older cars, cutting corners etc. itís a sacrifice that we feel is worth it. Traveling is addicting.

But I feel most Americans donít feel the same as we do. Not uncommon for us to arrive in a given city and see folks from everywhere except America.
Half of the tourists I encountered in Florence appeared to be American.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:14 AM

6,308 posts, read 3,084,071 times
Someone needs to come up with a word for the phenomenon of Americans who travel trying to pretend they are some special enlightened class of American and the rest do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel