U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:13 PM

555 posts, read 403,455 times

Advertisements

Ok, I will re-answer in hopes this will be settled:

Plenty here to do here, two oceans in the way, most have no money or inclination to travel abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 PM

1,029 posts, read 601,137 times
Too closed minded? Many here in "The South" go to the Beach once a year, of course in the summer when it is packed. Rent a house for at least $3,000 a week, not including food, gas, spending, etc. I have talked to people numerous times explaining they can travel abroad for about the same. Even there are many places to see in the USA, yet, people want to go to the SAME PLACE!

Old 07-11-2019, 01:26 PM

2,591 posts, read 1,751,074 times
I think higher percentage of Americans owning single-family homes with yards than European and that could partially explain.

Single family home costs more to maintain and decorate. You have to spend money on yard, furniture and decorations. Less money for travel. I definitely travel much less since I bought my home. It is much easier to travel when you rent apartment.

The younger American seem to travel abroad much more than the previous generation. So I expect continued increase of Americans abroad.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:31 PM

57,870 posts, read 56,083,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Tons of Americans in SE Asia as well. It seems to me that the most over represented are the Dutch. We encounter so many Dutch people traveling in SE Asia, especially among the backpacker demographic, yet the population of Netherlands isn't very high. I'm not sure what they put in the water there that gives them the travel bug, but it works out great for getting to know folks since most travelers from Holland speak better English than some of my friends back home in USA.
Well, historically the Dutch were in shipping because of their location and river access to Europe, so it's probably in their DNA by now! New York is where it is because the Dutch hired Henry Hudson to find some good spots, and they traded all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Yes there are a lot of Dutch. I've had some pretty funny encounters with them in the past but they are good people. One day I was riding a very packed BTS train and being 6'4" I get a lot of looks in SE Asia. At one of the stops, on comes a young Dutch kid who was close to 6'8". I looked at him and said, "I'm just going to stand next to you my entire trip so people will stare at you and not me." We both got a good laugh.

Second time, my wife and I were walking around Chiang Mai. These two Dutch backpackers walked up to me and asked "hey were do you go to get laid around here?" Comically I pointed to my wife and he said, "let me rephrase that, do you know any places where we can get laid around here?"

Guess I get along with them because I'm also Scandinavian....
When I went to Amsterdam, I flew Icelandair. The flight was going to Keflavik and then some were going on to Amsterdam and others to Oslo. I was at the gate at EWR and looking around at my fellow passengers and was just thrilled. I am a six-foot-tall woman of Dutch descent, and it was one of the few times outside a family event that there were so many other people around who were as tall or taller than I was!

My daughter is a relative shrimp at 5'8", but when she lived in China, her coworkers and students all thought she was very tall. She had a hard time finding clothing and size 9 shoes.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 PM

11,082 posts, read 4,234,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Someone needs to come up with a word for the phenomenon of Americans who travel trying to pretend they are some special enlightened class of American and the rest do not.
Travel snob is generally the term that's used.

Lots of travel snobbery on this thread.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:37 PM

11,082 posts, read 4,234,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The younger American seem to travel abroad much more than the previous generation. .
They also tend to put it all on credit cards or bilk their parents for the money.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:50 PM

12 posts, read 3,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I think higher percentage of Americans owning single-family homes with yards than European and that could partially explain.

Single family home costs more to maintain and decorate. You have to spend money on yard, furniture and decorations. Less money for travel. I definitely travel much less since I bought my home. It is much easier to travel when you rent apartment.

The younger American seem to travel abroad much more than the previous generation. So I expect continued increase of Americans abroad.
This is especially true for long-term travels. I am constantly thinking about doing more serious travels (more than 6 months per year), but I have a big house in the U.S., and I am constantly worrying about paying double for everything, house in the U.S. and hotels elsewhere.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:55 PM

12 posts, read 3,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Americans are actually pretty adventurous. For example, China isn't the most accessible country in terms of the language barrier, paperwork(visa) and distance. But there are a ton of Americans in Shanghai.
I would not be surprised that you see a ton of Americans WORK in Shanghai.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:40 AM

1,839 posts, read 865,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I would not be surprised that you see a ton of Americans WORK in Shanghai.
Given that Shanghai is a city in a third world country which is at least 10+h flight from any major U.S city, I'd say Americans are probably the most adventurous people.

I can't understand why people constantly claim Americans don't travel overseas or don't venture into third world countries.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:43 PM

6,342 posts, read 3,100,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I can't understand why people constantly claim Americans don't travel overseas or don't venture into third world countries.
I can... douchebaggery. (I'm not sure that is in the dictionary but you get it)

The folks who say this are usually also Americans who do travel, and they like to ride this cliche to convince themselves and others that they are somehow better than their peers because they dare to travel in places their compatriots do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel