U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:10 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I'm am fairly well-traveled but am now done with it. Over my travails, I've experienced a lot of negative and challenging events. The poor standards of other countries, the rudeness against American citizens, the horrid cattle-car service of the airlines all makes me grateful that I can always come back home to high quality, high standards, pure comfort, peace, and pretty much anything one would ever want as far as diversity in cuisine, environment, recreation, intellectual and enriching activities right here at home. When you're an American citizen, who needs to travel? And why bother? We're already in paradise.
You stole my answer.

I'm also into comfortable weather and minimal bugs. So a high-humidity, jungle location is somewhere I only ever want to visit via a movie screen.

I also am not interested in going anywhere I'm going to be snubbed for being an American or not being able to speak the local language perfectly - hence, I don't expect to ever visit Paris.

I do admit that if I could afford to charter my own plane with a bed in it and a kitchen, etc. then I'd seriously consider more international travel. But I am not interested in being treated the way the airlines now treat their passengers. I will never get those images of Dr. Dao being violently thrown off of a United airline flight, so their employees could take his seat, or the planes stuck on tarmacs forever without food or working bathrooms, holding passengers hostage. Just no thanks.

I have a ginormous country where I can feel comfortable and safe and with more amazing sights than I'd ever live long enough to see. Heck, just compare New Orleans to the coast of Maine to Miami to Seattle, San Francisco, Santa Barbara...on and on.

Plus, where I live, I encounter a lot of different cultures. I love that. I just don't want to deal with the travel involved to experience their home countries.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 04-01-2019 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 09:24 PM

8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
I agree with others. There are several reasons, including limited vacation time, many options for vacation in the USA, and a cultural hubris that the USA is better than other places.

Several years ago I went to Bermuda, which isn’t very exotic, for vacation, and several people at work were shocked that I was leaving the USA, one or two even saying that they would never leave the USA.

It’s insane really. I have made several dozen trips abroad, and I try to add a new country every couple of years. I think I might do Morocco next year.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 PM

577 posts, read 168,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You stole my answer.

I'm also into comfortable weather and minimal bugs. So a high-humidity, jungle location is somewhere I only ever want to visit via a movie screen.

I also am not interested in going anywhere I'm going to be snubbed for being an American or not being able to speak the local language perfectly - hence, I don't expect to ever visit Paris.

I do admit that if I could afford to charter my own plane with a bed in it and a kitchen, etc. then I'd seriously consider more international travel. But I am not interested in being treated the way the airlines now treat their passengers. I will never get those images of Dr. Dao being violently thrown off of a United airline flight, so their employees could take his seat, or the planes stuck on tarmacs forever without food or working bathrooms, holding passengers hostage. Just no thanks.
love your response there NoMoreSnowForMe

I can affirm your Paris comment. It was good to see Notre Dam Cathedral and a few other sites, but you're spot on --they are rude and cruel in my experience. If you do go to Paris again, make sure you have practiced a rude response in certain French so that they hear you and hopefully may grow past their rudeness. I'll go back, but will be extra-ever-ready next time.

If I decide to travel via private jet, well, the experience would be rather wasted if you're not going out to rub shoulders with the locals. And if you hate the locals (not a fan of the French) then why bother to fly out at all?

feel free to IM me.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Americans are afraid of:
Muslims
Dirt
Sweat
Disease
Smells
Bugs
Snakes
Thieves
Beggars
Food
Water
Toilets
Corrupt police
Getting lost
Foreign languages
Unfamiliar custom
Funny money
Bus plunge
Ferry sinking
Terrorists not covered by Muslims

Everybody else already lives in a foreign country, so they are used to such things, but to Americans they are unacceptably worrisome..

Old 04-01-2019, 10:33 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I remain puzzled by the 'Parisians are rude' thing that never goes away because I found them anything but that. Thing is, France is simply a more formal place than the USA when you're interacting with strangers and the people there are annoyed by tourists who make zero attempt at manners and being part of polite society.

But find the one page in a guidebook or on a web site on basic French manners, learn a half dozen courtesy phrases in the local language, and if it seems like you're making an honest effort to be polite, then most folks get a whole lot nicer to you in return.

It's not like it's that much effort to respect the cultural norms of a place you visit.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:23 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,826,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Because of having family from the Caribbean,I grew up always having a passport because that was the way of life for my family.One needs a passport to travel to the Caribbean.I have also been to Europe twice and let me tell you,to go to Europe from the states...you really need to put aside at least 1 full month.The first time me and my mom went, we stayed for a month.One really needs to put aside a huge chunk of time to travel to Europe or Asia or Australia.You need the proper time.
Love the Caribbean! The Bahamas, Jamaica, Cuba , The DR.... After high school I got a summer job working at a Club Med on the island of San Salvador. Last month I spent 10 days there. It’s changed quite a bit since I worked there, but it’s still a great vacation spot. Christopher Columbus was supposed to have landed on the island in 1492, and buccaneers were rumored to have used the waterways and inlets of the island.
Great beaches, great food, cool people. It’s about 300km from Nassau. Probably the smallest of the Bahamian Islands, but one of the most beautiful.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,104,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Fear?
I went to Oaxaca (Mexican state) in 2007 and they had some political riots there in 2006. It's a very popular place with Europeans who were much more likely to say that the riots were last year, not this year.

But it seemed that even Mexican Americans were wary of going to Oaxaca, so it wasn't just a gringo thing.

Oaxaca City is about 5 hours from Mexico City, so as far as I could tell the domestic tourist business was unaffected.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:38 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,622,110 times
College is expensive.

Work is long.
Paid leaves are nonexistent.
Many (though this is going down) Americans only speak English

Old 04-02-2019, 02:01 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,751,470 times
I wonder what percentage of the US population knows where Europe is, let alone Mali.

Then there is sex tourism. The Gambia seems to be the preferred such destination for women.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:10 AM

5,916 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Americans are afraid of:
Muslims
Dirt
Sweat
Disease
Smells
Bugs
Snakes
Thieves
Beggars
Food
Water
Toilets
Corrupt police
Getting lost
Foreign languages
Unfamiliar custom
Funny money
Bus plunge
Ferry sinking
Terrorists not covered by Muslims

Everybody else already lives in a foreign country, so they are used to such things, but to Americans they are unacceptably worrisome..
I hear Americans like to make silly stereotypes about people too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel