U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 AM

941 posts, read 204,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
Because I don't want to be near third-world people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 AM

4,379 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Bingo, The real reason.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
love your response there NoMoreSnowForMe

I can affirm your Paris comment. It was good to see Notre Dam Cathedral and a few other sites, but you're spot on --they are rude and cruel in my experience. If you do go to Paris again, make sure you have practiced a rude response in certain French so that they hear you and hopefully may grow past their rudeness. I'll go back, but will be extra-ever-ready next time.

If I decide to travel via private jet, well, the experience would be rather wasted if you're not going out to rub shoulders with the locals. And if you hate the locals (not a fan of the French) then why bother to fly out at all?

feel free to IM me.
I've been to Paris twice, and have not found folks there rude, never mind cruel. Most all in my experience do respond in an especially friendly manner if you at least learn a couple phrases in French. Any attempt will do.

Of course, like any city beset with tourists, there are always a few con artists, pickpockets, hustlers, cheats, and the like. Of course nobody wants to interact with these particular locals anywhere in the world.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:23 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,248,502 times
The responses here have been interesting and enlightening. Mostly. I'll clear up a few points for the sake of context.

> Yes, I am retired. Obviously that eliminates the "not enough time" issue fir me.

> I lived overseas for many years in Switzerland and Japan. During that time I traveled extensively throughout Europe and Asia.

> My son worked for years in SE Asia in the tourist industry ("adventure" tourism in Thailand and Vietnam appealing mostly to the under-40 set).

So, to be clear, my observations and impressions about the American traveler phenomenon is also based on many years of international travel while I was living overseas. The recent 6 week trip merely confirmed them. My son and I often compare notes and has the same view. I'll clarify a bit more:

I'm NOT saying that no Americans travel. Obviously many do. That said, the proportion of Americans traveling outside of Europe is miniscule compared to other nationalities. It's pretty obvious that, within Europe, there are lots of Americans and fewer Euros cause that's where the Euros live. But, when you get to outside Europe the American tourists are vastly outnumbered by Euros, Canadians, Aussies, etc.

There's another phenomenon at play as well. I have repeatedly encountered younger people saving up and quitting their jobs to travel and see the world before returning to where ever and going back to work. Or, traveling around after university to travel before settling down. They are curious and unafraid. Yet Americans are strikingly absent from this cohort. And yes, there are exceptions. And don't tell me it's the money. When there's a will there's a way and traveling in Asia can be astoundingly cheap.

It seems great pity to me that for so many "travel" means "vacation" and "vacation" means a cruise of Disneyland.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 04-02-2019 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: formatting

Old 04-02-2019, 08:33 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:

There's another phenomenon at play as well. I have repeatedly encountered younger people saving up and quitting their jobs to travel and see the world before returning to where ever and going back to work. Or, traveling around after university to travel before settling down. They are curious and unafraid. Yet Americans are strikingly absent from this cohort. And yes, there are exceptions. And don't tell me it's the money. When there's a will there's a way and traveling in Asia can be astoundingly cheap.
I know you try to claim it's not about the money, which is a rather elitist viewpoint and not in touch with the reality of being a 24 year old American for many, but try telling a student loan company that you want to defer payment on a loan for 3-6 months so you can backpack across Uzbekistan. Literally the only travel we did in our 20s was visiting family in large part because we were trying to dig ourselves out from under what's a moderate amount of student loan debt by modern standards. (Now in our 40s and debt-free= making up for lost travel time we couldn't justify at younger ages)

Old 04-02-2019, 08:33 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,667,925 times
Traveling for an extended period after college in the USA means that you don't start earning money to pay back those student loans. Keep in mind that other countries don't have this issue.

Also, there is the fear of "third world people" that a large segment of Americans have. It's unfortunate, but when people barely leave their hometowns, they become very insulated. This is the case for many in rural areas.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:48 AM

637 posts, read 238,936 times
Quote:
For the first sentence in bold, yes you can save up and quit working for a while, but there's the issue of getting a job when you return. Also, employment gaps are typically frowned upon in American corporate culture, regardless of the reason. For the second sentence, I know of very few people who had the resources to travel a bunch immediately after college, even if it was done cheaply. I'm not sure if these problems exist for people in other countries who do travel a lot more.

Quote:
It seems great pity to me that for so many "travel" means "vacation" and "vacation" means a cruise of Disneyland.
Agreed on this; hell even in the US itself, there are far more impressive places to visit IMO. To each their own, though.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:55 AM

15,728 posts, read 26,757,800 times
I know lots of well traveled people here in the United States. I am not one of them. Three of my sisters and two of my brothers have been all over the world. Many of the people I work with take trips to various destinations all over the world. One guy that I worked with a few years back took multiple trips to China. He spent a month there on one trip.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 AM

15,728 posts, read 26,757,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Traveling for an extended period after college in the USA means that you don't start earning money to pay back those student loans. Keep in mind that other countries don't have this issue.

Also, there is the fear of "third world people" that a large segment of Americans have. It's unfortunate, but when people barely leave their hometowns, they become very insulated. This is the case for many in rural areas.
In other countries, you don't get into college if you don't pass the test to get in. You don't move forward with your education if you don't test. The idea that college is free and available to everyone is a fallacy.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:11 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yeah I agree. My grandfather wanted to do a safari in Africa and never got to make it before he died. Luckily we all went on a cruise down the Amazon a couple of years before he died, so he got to cross that off his list. I try to balance international trips with trips in the US. I don’t have enough vacation time or money to do all the international trips I want to do, but I know with international destinations, you never know how the political climate might change. A place that might be good to visit now might not not even be safe in a few years depending on where you want to go.
So true, I regret not visiting Chad and the Central African Republic when family lived there. Both are pretty much non starters right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I've encountered a lot of folks with Angkor Wat on their bucket list. I'm not sure it discounts what you say though, since Siem Reap has an intl airport so for many it's just a quick side-trip from either Thailand or Vietnam. It's possible that many who say they want to see Angkor Wat don't even know exactly what country it is in.

Yeah, I bet they don't. Archeology, then S21 and the killing fields (archeology and history are interesting to me), plus very rudimentary ecotourism at the very very early stages for a low price... I took Korean Air there, and it was probably the nicest flight I've ever been on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I hope this was said in jest, considering your username and my having the unfortunate experience of having to have lived in two cities in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel