Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:29 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It's expensive, dude! Usually the middle class will go off to Europe once in their lifetime...but if you talk about flying to the other side of the world, that's expensive. I have a few penpals in Southeast Asia. Sometimes I look at visiting them. In one case, to fly to her island in the Philippines, including the hotel stay, was $1400!!! And that's if I wanted to fly uncomfortably, in coach/economy class! 1st class was several thousand dollars. Three days in London is $900 including airfare, if flying coach and staying at a decent hotel.

In the future when I get a better job I'd like to travel. But right now my monthly take-home pay is around $2000 so you can see why I would hesitate to spend $1400. I'm going to spend that going down to San Diego this summer for Gay Pride 2019, and it took a year to save up the money for that.

Lodging in the Philippines is very reasonable compared to a lot of other places. Best to look for a deal on the air fare to keep the costs lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 11:51 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Mexico has everything you want.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
It's expensive, dude! Usually the middle class will go off to Europe once in their lifetime...but if you talk about flying to the other side of the world, that's expensive. I have a few penpals in Southeast Asia. Sometimes I look at visiting them. In one case, to fly to her island in the Philippines, including the hotel stay, was $1400!!! And that's if I wanted to fly uncomfortably, in coach/economy class! 1st class was several thousand dollars. Three days in London is $900 including airfare, if flying coach and staying at a decent hotel.

In the future when I get a better job I'd like to travel. But right now my monthly take-home pay is around $2000 so you can see why I would hesitate to spend $1400. I'm going to spend that going down to San Diego this summer for Gay Pride 2019, and it took a year to save up the money for that.
London is among the most expensive cities in Europe. There's no dearth of affordable destinations in Europe.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
One cultural difference between the US and Australia is the the majority of Aussies from the cities (most of us) live at home with their parents while completing their first degrees and attend a university in their own city. Thus when they have finished they and their parents are often pretty happy for them to get away and do some travelling.

Secondly we have far more overseas born population who will generally have some ties to other countries. At least half our population were born overseas or have a parent born overseas. So there is a pull to visit and to experience their heritage.

Also, we get four weeks annual live as a norm plus public holidays. As well as Long Service Leave, which is additional leave accrued after working for the one employer for ten years or more. So I retired with perhaps twenty weeks of paid accrued leave, which I could take on half pay thus reducing the tax oayable. This makes long trips possible.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:52 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
Probably because Laos is one the only very few countries where cannibalism is still practiced in some remote regions?

Old 04-01-2019, 02:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
Quote:
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
Stats suggest that Americans do indeed travel overseas. As to where they go, my guess is:

-they’ll go someplace closer by given the choice (Mexico, Canada, Caribbean, Europe). Cost and time of travel likely dictate this.

-they’ll likely choose someplace where English is a first language (Canada, several Caribbean countries, UK, Ireland).

-they’ll likely choose a country that’s more “first world” (where you can drink the water or sanitation is good, for example).

-the US is large and has lots of great travel destinations of its own, which provides an excellent alternative.

Your examples of Laos and Cambodia don’t have these attributes. And while I’m sure Americans go to these countries, am thinking they’re more likely to choose someplace less “challenging.”

Old 04-01-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Probably because Laos is one the only very few countries where cannibalism is still practiced in some remote regions?
But their restaurants do not serve human meat?

Old 04-01-2019, 03:08 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Mexico has everything you want.
You must be kidding. We LIVED in Mexico and we loved it, but it didn't have "everything" we wanted.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:57 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:

1. Not enough time off
2. It's expensive.
3. Some watch Fox News too much and are scared.
4. Some only travel to visit family. Lots of people assume that's all I do.
5. Some need constant entertainment and simulation so places like resorts, Disney, or Vegas are all that appeal to them. I've traveled overseas and get my dreaded question, "What did you go to _________ for?"

Some good reasons and some dumb reasons. The second reason is why I don't go overseas as much as I'd like.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:00 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Personally, there is so much in the US that I want to explore before I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel