Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:32 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Must be nice to travel for six weeks uninterrupted. Are you retired?
Sure looks like it from their profile info, good catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 11:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Sure looks like it from their profile info, good catch.
And 6 weeks of travel in Southeast Asia as a retiree was their experience of a lifetime.

I’m 60. I can make a pretty long list of memorable travel experiences. I didn’t wait until I was retired to do all my travel.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:56 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Mr. Snobbish & Self-Important (the OP) has gotten plenty of on-the-nose, straight forward answers. He still hasn't responded to his own thread yet, though. He must be ashamed.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:04 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
I'm am fairly well-traveled but am now done with it. Over my travails, I've experienced a lot of negative and challenging events. The poor standards of other countries, the rudeness against American citizens, the horrid cattle-car service of the airlines all makes me grateful that I can always come back home to high quality, high standards, pure comfort, peace, and pretty much anything one would ever want as far as diversity in cuisine, environment, recreation, intellectual and enriching activities right here at home. When you're an American citizen, who needs to travel? And why bother? We're already in paradise.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:22 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,382,548 times
In the immortal words of Cole Porter, "See America first."

It would take more than a lifetime to see every wonder in the U.S.
If you don't have some kind of special interest in a particular part of Europe, there's no real reason to go.

I'll bet the majority of Europeans never leave Europe, for the same reason.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:25 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
A lot of it has to do with the limited time off Americans get from work than other countries. But I'm an American and I have been all over the world and I generally encounter many Americans … so I think this is different for everyone.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:31 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
It can take 24 hours to get to Thailand. Not everyone wants to fly that long out of the choices they have for vacation.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I recently returned from a 6 week adventure travel trip to Laos and Cambodia. I traveled by bus, boat and motorcycle. It was the experience of a lifetime. I was very struck by how few Americans I encountered - practically none! The tourists/travelers were overwhelmingly Euros, Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. These were not wealthy people, just regular working folks with the curiosity and will to see the world, eat new food and push outside their comfort zone. Americans, it seems, are interested mostly in inclusive resorts and Disneyland.

Why is this? Please don't respond that you've personally been where ever. That may well be. But I'm speaking of the extreme scarcity of Americans getting out and seeing something different and exotic. It's undeniable. What's wrong with us? Fear? Lack of education? Lack of curiosity? Spending money on fancy cars, houses, whatever, and that's it?
Why does anything have to be wrong? They have other places or things they want to spend their money on. Why does it bother you if anyone chooses to spend money on a car, or something other than a trip to a poor jungle nation? Your post is a question framed negatively in shaming language. No issue with asking the question without the condescension. Enjoy your travels, let others enjoy theirs.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:49 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Cost of travel, cost of living here and lack of vacation time.

For many Americans, it is simply a struggle just to get by.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:05 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
America still has a very significant population of rural dwellers who either have an active farm or small holding or grew up in that environment. Or, theres a big population of individuals who have a small business running on a shoestring profit, or grew up trying to help their parents keep the family shop/restaurant/ dry cleaner, etc afloat. In both scenarios travel is very difficult. If you have livestock, who takes care of them? Who mends your fence, brings in your harvest when you are gone for 6weeks? What do you do if you and the wife want to take off and you are both working shifts at the business? Just close up? What happens if you can't afford that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel