Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 06:53 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There's just some set of travelers who finds bizarre virtue in being able to say they only brought two pairs of underwear on a trip and they just washed them out in the hotel sink every night. Me, I pack to avoid doing laundry along the way
I don't think it's virtue as much as a tradeoff. For some the advantage of traveling light outweighs being the person with the huge roller bag, for others not having to worry about doing laundry is more important. No right or wrong answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Also, I have read that the main temples and sites in Cambodia are completely inundated with groups of Chinese tourists in particular, making it hard for people to see them properly
Just set your alarm clock. Most Chinese in Cambodia are on organized tours so they take some time to get their free breakfast, load onto the bus, etc. if you arrive when the site opens and bang out the main spots before 9:00 am you'll be fine. By late morning though they are coming in force, it would probably give Korean War veterans some flashbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 06:57 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You're conflating being interested and being able, those are two entirely different things. Someone working as a waitress in Omaha might love to go see Paris, it doesn't mean they will have the opportunity to go..
That's the point that is lost on many people. Many people will never have the opportunity. For Americans, its not like living in Europe and getting a Eurail Pass to see five or six countries in a few days.The geography here in America doesn't allow for easily visiting lots of other countries in a short time period.

I feel I shouldn't have to even explain that to someone. But many people in other countries don't get it. They prefer to maintain their bigoted viewpoint that Americans are simply uninterested in other cultures.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:23 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,506 times
This thread makes me laugh.

I am the daughter of immigrants who came from a place no one wants to “haveto” live. My parents didn’t speak English.

I was born a US citizen in northern New England. I am not considered an underrepresented minority, either now, or back then (1980) but still went to Harvard.

I traveled all over the world in my career, first on Wall St, then Silicon Valley.

My passport expired years ago, and I have zero desire to renew it.

It makes me laugh how those who were born to privileged parents here in the US use international travel to lord over those who haven’t traveled. Yet they’d never move to my parents place of origin.

It’s cool to have visited there, but totally uncool to have originated from there. Get over yourselves.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:51 PM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times
If you think about it, USA is made up of 50 "countries" so it makes sense to see these 50 countries first. Laos? Vietnam? Those are like the size of Minnesota and New Mexico.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
It makes me laugh how those who were born to privileged parents here in the US use international travel to lord over those who haven’t traveled. Yet they’d never move to my parents place of origin.
I might have missed it but I think you're the first to mention privileged parents. Cool speech though.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:07 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
The main reasons:

1) More than most (but not all) countries, America has a "live to work" culture instead of the other way around unfortunately. We get less vacation time, more "pressure" to not take all of it or lose our job due to some BS "performance" reason (and a "performance" reason denies us unemployment). Oftentimes when Americans travel abroad, it's on business.

2) We are a very large country in a part of the world that is relatively isolated from other cultures. In Europe, countries are mostly the size of our states and each one is often a vastly different culture from the other.

For these reasons, traditionally (and to some extent still today) most of the Americans you would see abroad were either students on special trips or cultural exchanges or more likely retirees. Unfortunately, retirement is becoming a tougher proposition in the US than it used to be so in coming years you will see even less of them abroad.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:03 AM

19 posts, read 32,940 times
Its not just the cost and time anymore, although that is a good reason. When one reads the news of the violence-prone "immigrants", most Americans are used to a system that at the very least, allows us the right of self defense and even using a weapon to do so. In England, you can't even carry a pocket knife, much less a firearm. Can you even carry pepper spray legally? Why would an American want to risk their lives in countries that are no longer what they were 30 years ago?

Old 04-10-2019, 05:51 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardpan View Post
Its not just the cost and time anymore, although that is a good reason. When one reads the news of the violence-prone "immigrants", most Americans are used to a system that at the very least, allows us the right of self defense and even using a weapon to do so. In England, you can't even carry a pocket knife, much less a firearm. Can you even carry pepper spray legally? Why would an American want to risk their lives in countries that are no longer what they were 30 years ago?
Well we have spent thirty weeks travelling in the US and never given a thought to carrying any sort of implement for self defence. Nor have we in any other country we have travelled. The most potentially dangerous thing that has happened to us in our travels is having a giant kangaroo nearly jump into our car in Western Australia and nearly coming through the windscreen. Oh and taking a wrong turn onto the freeway in the middle of a severe snow storm Colorado.

When travelling, the key is to use common sense.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
. When one reads the news of the violence-prone "immigrants", most Americans are used to a system that at the very least, allows us the right of self defense and even using a weapon to do so.
Yes, safe to say that the vast majority of paranoid Americans are not likely to travel internationally.

However, they don't comprise a very large percentage of our population-do they?

Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
One would hope that this was written as a sly piece of tongue-in-cheek satire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel