U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Reputation: 7925

Advertisements

There are lots of directional surprises.
Atlanta is west of Detroit.
Mount Everest is south of Tallahassee Florida.
Seattle is north of Montreal.
Montreal is closer to Florida than to the north tip of Quebec.
Chile's Pacific port of Valparaiso is east of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2019, 02:46 PM
 
1,172 posts, read 477,326 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There are lots of directional surprises.
Atlanta is west of Detroit.
Mount Everest is south of Tallahassee Florida.
Seattle is north of Montreal.
Montreal is closer to Florida than to the north tip of Quebec.
Chile's Pacific port of Valparaiso is east of New York.
One I always found interesting is that Rome and Boston are at about the same latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2019, 03:15 PM
 
5,261 posts, read 3,309,355 times
Reputation: 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
One I always found interesting is that Rome and Boston are at about the same latitude.
Europeans should thank the Gulf Stream Gods, each and every day!

Except for Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece, in the south and Scandinavia in the north, the major "girth" of continental Europe is like north of Pennsylvania to Edmonton, latitude-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2019, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,364 posts, read 1,657,079 times
Reputation: 7925
I can buy a ticket 2 months in advance, and discover I forgot to consider weather. I had to buy a long sleeve shirt in Addis Ababa. It actually snowed when I was in Lesotho. It's icy cold in Sikkim, and nobody closes windows. I had an overnight layover in Japan in winter., flying Bangkok-Houston. You have to walk through ankle-deep snow at the best of times at immigration Chile/Argentina, and in winter the border may be closed for weeks.

In fact, I moved from California to Montreal in summer, and it suddenly occurred to me in October that I'd better run out and buy an overcoat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2019, 03:47 AM
 
1,172 posts, read 477,326 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I can buy a ticket 2 months in advance, and discover I forgot to consider weather. I had to buy a long sleeve shirt in Addis Ababa. It actually snowed when I was in Lesotho. It's icy cold in Sikkim, and nobody closes windows. I had an overnight layover in Japan in winter., flying Bangkok-Houston. You have to walk through ankle-deep snow at the best of times at immigration Chile/Argentina, and in winter the border may be closed for weeks.

In fact, I moved from California to Montreal in summer, and it suddenly occurred to me in October that I'd better run out and buy an overcoat.
Went to San Diego in mid-May and was surprised how chilly it got in the evening. Was at a Padres baseball game, and it was so cold they were selling hot coffee, which people (including myself) were buying to try and stay warm. Had brought a thin windbreaker and was glad to have it.

San Francisco I had expected to be chilly, but not San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2019, 05:21 AM
 
Location: North Texas
111 posts, read 44,710 times
Reputation: 774
Once I was on a business trip to Hartford Connecticut. On the weekend I was considering touring Maine but was concerned about the drive times. I got a good laugh when I discovered the distance was less than we pull our camper on the weekends. Traveling thru 3 states in the west isn't a Saturday morning drive.


I wonder if people from the NE have the same problem in reverse. "Look honey, we only have to cross Texas, New Mexico and part of Arizona to get to the Grand Canyon -- we can leave after lunch!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2019, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Austin
29,546 posts, read 16,472,205 times
Reputation: 8087
How about this one that shocks most people; There are five state capitals west of Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2019, 09:16 AM
 
12,546 posts, read 7,515,513 times
Reputation: 23529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How about this one that shocks most people; There are five state capitals west of Los Angeles.
There are six state capitals west of LA.

Carson City, Nevada
Sacramento, California
Salem, Oregon
Olympia, Washington
Juneau, Alaska
Honolulu Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2019, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,233 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Reputation: 15545
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm a world map nerd and my degree emphasis was on the Middle East so I have a pretty good idea about where things are located.

How many people have been to St. Helena?
Which one...the Washington mountain that blew its lid in 1980 or the capital of Montana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2019, 10:23 AM
 
12,546 posts, read 7,515,513 times
Reputation: 23529
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Which one...the Washington mountain that blew its lid in 1980 or the capital of Montana?
Considering the capital of Montana is Helena, that's probably not what the poster was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top