U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 3,474,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
IMO, Rick's show is kind of like the travel version of 'Mr. Roger's Neighborhood'- calm and pleasant and trying to show you something both interesting and educational. I'll put an episode on when I'm in the mood to watch that kind of thing.

His larger viewership is likely people who are curious about Europe (90%+ of his shows are filmed there) but find the idea of that kind of trip to be intimidating. And he comes across as helpful and encouraging and genuinely wanting to help people give independent travel in Europe a try.
He’s the Bob Ross of travel guides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 11:11 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,816,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Great way to make a living.
I agree... he has the best job ever.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:14 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,118,694 times
So what if he smokes pot? His documentary on Iran was excellent.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:30 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Lol yes except that Rick Steves is a huge pot head and marijuana advocate. Very different from Fred Rogers in that respect.
Mr. Rogers also never took viewers on a video tour of Amsterdam's red light district like Rick has but then it's hard to get an analogy to map 100%

Old 04-04-2019, 02:48 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Mr. Rogers also never took viewers on a video tour of Amsterdam's red light district...
I doubt King Friday would have approved of such an excursion!

Old 04-04-2019, 04:43 PM

665 posts, read 200,685 times
I grew up watching his programs on PBS and used some of the information that I gleaned from his shows and books in my own solo travels.

His hostel recommendations were fantastic--especially for the one that I stayed at (and got locked out of because I missed curfew) in Rome.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 PM

5,949 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
To be fair, many people just don't have the money to vacation in the US, let alone Europe. It's not a sign of ignorance or lack of imagination.
Even if everyone did have the money it's not a sign of ignorance or lack of imagination to prefer not to travel.

People do what they want to do, if they don't want to travel then they don't want to travel.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,485,141 times
Several years ago when learned we were being relocated from the Western US to Switzerland, I immediately looked up all the Rick Steve's episodes on that country as well as all the surrounding countries we could easily drive to from there. We also bought his guide books. I found them really helpful and a reassuring voice I could understand when I felt out of place and struggling with a new language.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,591 posts, read 39,962,822 times
RS has a pretty broad brush to travel experiences, but I find a lot to be gleaned for myself and others.

You can get a better view by watching the "Behind-the-scenes' versions. He has a pretty good time as evidenced. He purposes to meet locals, as do I. For those who travel this way the info is handy and relevant. For the USA "Holiday Inn' or even the 5* traveler, RS is a 'risk', but for a USA 'adventure traveler'... RS is a tad mild.

Glad he can make a living doing what he enjoys. Our 'down-to-Earth' (age 75+) neighbors were pictured in a RS PBS special last weekend. They bumped into RS in Italy and were carrying some 'ripped out pages' from a RS tour book. They always have good time and NEVER plan ahead.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 PM

941 posts, read 207,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Great way to make a living.

Rick Steves Wants to Save the World, One Vacation at a Time

“You know, you’re not very different than you are on your show.”

Rick Steves desperately wants you to leave America. The tiniest exposure to the outside world, he believes, will change your entire life. Travel, Steves likes to say, “wallops your ethnocentricity” and “carbonates your experience” and “rearranges your cultural furniture.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vel-world.html
I always enjoyed his show while winding down on a late Saturday afternoon. He showed and taught me enough that I didn't have to go through the trouble of actually going out of my way to travel overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel