U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 AM

11,749 posts, read 8,312,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Great way to make a living.

Rick Steves Wants to Save the World, One Vacation at a Time

“You know, you’re not very different than you are on your show.”

Rick Steves desperately wants you to leave America. The tiniest exposure to the outside world, he believes, will change your entire life. Travel, Steves likes to say, “wallops your ethnocentricity” and “carbonates your experience” and “rearranges your cultural furniture.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vel-world.html
This quote from Rick Steeves illustrates the lens from which he sees the world and more specifically his own nation:

"Ancient Romans, whose taste for violence exceeded even modern America's"

WTF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:52 AM

7,685 posts, read 16,112,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
This quote from Rick Steeves illustrates the lens from which he sees the world and more specifically his own nation:

"Ancient Romans, whose taste for violence exceeded even modern America's"

WTF!
Given the USA murder rate runs about 4-10 times higher than what would be called peer nations, I can see where he's going with that.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 AM

5,290 posts, read 3,324,925 times
Rick found his niche, he's spent what, the last 40 years building his brand, way before the internet age and it has made him quite wealthy and famous. I've traveled all over the world, including Europe, and while I have never used his travel guides, sometimes when I'm watching TV (which is rare) and flipping through the channels and see him on PBS, I'll watch the rest of the episode, sometimes to see if it's a place I've already been to. Like others have said, he does have that soothing kind of voice!

Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 AM

11,991 posts, read 17,505,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I suspect it's largely folks who haven't traveled much outside of organized group vacations & want to understand how to do it cheaper & more independently should they go abroad again. It seems to be working since the percentage of Yanks who have passports has risen from 10% to 42% in recent years although I suspect a fair amount of that is due to the tighter border restrictions between the US & Canada & Mexico.

I always thought Steves was doing the same thing the Wheelers (Lonely Planet) did, & Frommer a generation earlier, by demystifying overseas travel for independent minded folks on a budget. The internet, I suspect particularly Youtube, is democratizing international travel now for millenials who are the main demographic for the increase in passport ownership.
Pretty much true. He has a very soothing demeanor and spoon feeds Europe to the uninitiated.

I have lived in Europe and made numerous trips there, so he is of limited use to me. But he gives very good as well as practical advice about how to enjoy it without breaking the bank.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
I appreciate that RS goes 'beyond' tourism, and into relationships / culture / items of interest to locals and visitors. He encourages quite a bit deeper experience than the usual... "book a 5*, breeze in a take a look, a couple pics, and sail off, then checking your box ... BTDT".

He offers ideas that are very flexible and adaptable to various ways of touring, pick what suits you, or what you have time for. Hopefully you will find some of your own treasures in the process.

I would imagine he has brought a lot of tourism to Europe, and satisfied a lot of curiosities. (and much funding to PBS). It is great that some viewers can become informed 'armchair travelers'. Many are not able to participate in going themselves, (Health, finances, schedule, fear). It is wonderful they can get a very relevant example via media.

My well traveled elderly friends now sequestered to care centers and / or bedridden, love to watch his programs for 'refreshers' of where they have previously ventured and enjoyed!

RS is an inquisitive guy, and asks a lot of questions. I like that. He is very personable, and his Scandinavian roots are evident, I would have expected him to be from MN!

Won't comment on his liberal leanings, as it has not detracted from, or become embedded as an agenda in his excellent 'presentations'. Unlike another prominent Scandinavian centric US media presenter, who greatly eroded his effectiveness by going 'political' / 'far right' on his platform.

RS seems to keep his program 'happy' and non-biased. That level of self-control is appreciated for those with strong 'alternative' leanings.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:02 AM

629 posts, read 493,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Won't comment on his liberal leanings, as it has not detracted from, or become embedded as an agenda in his excellent 'presentations'. Unlike another prominent Scandinavian centric US media presenter, who greatly eroded his effectiveness by going 'political' / 'far right' on his platform.

RS seems to keep his program 'happy' and non-biased. That level of self-control is appreciated for those with strong 'alternative' leanings.

No idea whom you're referring to as going far right. Someone in the travel/tourism business?

Either way I don't think that politics should be relevant to travel, except for in extreme circumstances like perhaps North Korea where one can reasonably argue that it would be immoral to support that regime. I happen to be a Democrat, but many of my very best travel experiences have been in "red" states such as Arizona and Texas, or to places with which I have issues, like Vatican City. I cannot relate on any level to the idea that one can only travel to places that share his or her political views. One of my best friends is a staunch conservative and refuses to visit places like Paris and San Francisco for political reasons, and I think that's just stupid and limiting.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM

940 posts, read 208,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
No idea whom you're referring to as going far right. Someone in the travel/tourism business?

Either way I don't think that politics should be relevant to travel, except for in extreme circumstances like perhaps North Korea where one can reasonably argue that it would be immoral to support that regime. I happen to be a Democrat, but many of my very best travel experiences have been in "red" states such as Arizona and Texas, or to places with which I have issues, like Vatican City. I cannot relate on any level to the idea that one can only travel to places that share his or her political views. One of my best friends is a staunch conservative and refuses to visit places like Paris and San Francisco for political reasons, and I think that's just stupid and limiting.
I don't know who StealthRabbit is referring to but Anthony Bourdain (and I loved his shows) said he'd "poison President Trump" and then Trump had him killed.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 AM

629 posts, read 493,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I don't know who they're referring to but Anthony Bourdain (and I loved his shows) said he'd "poison President Trump" and then Trump had him killed.

Lol. I admitted to being a Democrat but am NOT going to blame President Trump for Bourdain's death. I loved Bourdain's shows but was very happy when he left politics out of them, which was most of the time. I travel to explore the world and learn about different cultures, architecture and food, etc., and I don't care what Anthony Bourdain thought of Trump. I actually thought one of Tony's all time best episodes was West Virginia, where he very clearly was of a different political ideology than the people he met, but he went out of his way to say how welcoming and proud they were and you really got the sense that he admired them.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:21 AM

940 posts, read 208,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
I loved Bourdain's shows but was very happy when he left politics out of them, which was most of the time. I travel to explore the world and learn about different cultures, architecture and food, etc., and I don't care what Anthony Bourdain thought of Trump. I actually thought one of Tony's all time best episodes was West Virginia, where he very clearly was of a different political ideology than the people he met, but he went out of his way to say how welcoming and proud they were and you really got the sense that he admired them.
I go by the saying "There's room for everybody!"

Old 04-05-2019, 11:22 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,538,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I don't know who StealthRabbit is referring to but Anthony Bourdain (and I loved his shows) said he'd "poison President Trump" and then Trump had him killed.
So that's what happened. Makes a lot more grotesque sense than such a cool/hip guy offing himself.

Never heard of Rick Steves and made it to Europe anyway. But good for him. Sounds like he's filling a niche, though we're well beyond hostel days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel