Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 12:03 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So that's what happened. Makes a lot more grotesque sense than such a cool/hip guy offing himself.

Never heard of Rick Steves and made it to Europe anyway. But good for him. Sounds like he's filling a niche, though we're well beyond hostel days.
If you watched all of Bourdain’s shows you wouldn’t be surprised how many times he talked about death. A lot. There’s a reference to “I can die now”, “just kill me”, etc. almost every show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 12:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you watched all of Bourdain’s shows you wouldn’t be surprised how many times he talked about death. A lot. There’s a reference to “I can die now”, “just kill me”, etc. almost every show.
Maybe some foreshadowing there, or desperately looking for a way out of his depression?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:07 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,550,658 times
Big fan of Rick Steves. Love his shows. Seems like a genuinely good guy, also.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'd be curious to see the logic chain behind the notion that the tiniest exposure to the outside will will change someone's entire life. Not saying it's right/wrong, just seems a bit over the top. Is it even necessary to leave America?
For example: Person A who has lived all over USA in big cosmopolitan cities like NYC and San Francisco travels to London for the first time.
Person B who grew up and has always lived in rural Montana travels to New Orleans or Hawaii for the first time.
Who has the more eye opening experience? What about Person C, who's exposure to the outside world (weird term) was from a cruise ship where they got in the van to see the waterfalls in Jamaica and took the little boat to go snorkeling with the sting rays in Belize? Was their life changed forever due to this outside world exposure?
What's the point of quibbling with one word?

Yes - although I wouldn't use the word "necessary" - I think it's crucial for a cosmopolitan, well-rounded person to leave America.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:35 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
What's the point of quibbling with one word?
Because it's that one word is what defines the argument he's making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes - although I wouldn't use the word "necessary" - I think it's crucial for a cosmopolitan, well-rounded person to leave America.
Can you explain why?

Old 04-06-2019, 10:04 AM

982 posts, read 608,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Excellent post. I generally buy into the idea that it's impossible to have a thick passport and a narrow mind, but as you noted, it's all about the specific experiences. You can go to the Dominican Republic or Jamaica and sit in an all-inclusive resort for a week, and learn absolutely nothing about the world at large. Visiting a reservation in New Mexico would be a million times more enlightening in my view.

And it's not just about the specific destination. My ignoramus cousins went on one of those cruises that stops in like 6 different European countries, each for about 6-8 hours so that you can go to a gift shop and see one or two famous attractions before you get back onto the boat and eat American food. In my view, your passport might show that you've visited many different countries, but you'd learn a heck of a lot more by spending a week or two in a single foreign country and engaging with locals and eating indigenous food, etc.
I asked someone recently who went on a cruise to a bunch of different islands if they all seemed to be alike and her response was the water and topographical was somewhat different. Impossible to experience the cultures of these locations when you take these cruises, in my opinion. I've never been on one for that reason.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:51 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
When RS's politics sneak through, I just ignore it as Seattle thing. He would be better served to omit it.

I have never seen one of his books. I do watch his shows, but would like to see him go to places like Malta, Majorca, Madeira, the Azores and the English channel islands. I believe he has exhausted France.

Although I have visited 18 countries, the USA is the only place I want to live.

I do enjoy other travel shows, especially when they go places other than Europe.

At this stage in life, I will not be dragging my old bones overseas.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:45 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Given the USA murder rate runs about 4-10 times higher than what would be called peer nations, I can see where he's going with that.
Maybe you have a taste for violence but neither I nor anyone I know has this gene.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:57 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Excellent post. I generally buy into the idea that it's impossible to have a thick passport and a narrow mind, but as you noted, it's all about the specific experiences. You can go to the Dominican Republic or Jamaica and sit in an all-inclusive resort for a week, and learn absolutely nothing about the world at large. Visiting a reservation in New Mexico would be a million times more enlightening in my view.

And it's not just about the specific destination. My ignoramus cousins went on one of those cruises that stops in like 6 different European countries, each for about 6-8 hours so that you can go to a gift shop and see one or two famous attractions before you get back onto the boat and eat American food. In my view, your passport might show that you've visited many different countries, but you'd learn a heck of a lot more by spending a week or two in a single foreign country and engaging with locals and eating indigenous food, etc.
You can't be a good world traveler without degrading people who don't do it like you?

Old 04-06-2019, 03:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
I don't mind his shows, but he does get on my nerves a bit after awhile. True story: Many years ago, on my first night in Ireland, I was in a pub a bit north of Dublin, and my companion & I were discussing tipping culture. So I asked the barmaid, "Can you tell me how you feel about getting tips?" and my companion said, "I heard it was looked at as an insult in Irish pubs." The barmaid sighed a heavy sigh and said, "I flippin' hate Rick Steves."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel