U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:36 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This is a link to a private business. It's advertisement for its services.
Newsweek is a privately held business as well. Not sure what your point is? Patients Beyond Borders is a pretty well-respected resource for researching medical treatments/care and costs around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 01:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Exactly. Isn't that what you were talking about? Medical care for an American family traveling in Thailand? lol not sure why we have this miscommunication.

An American family will usually find better, more comfortable and efficient care for a lower cost at a Bangkok private hospital than at their local hospital back home. Supposedly this is true in parts of Vietnam and Malaysia too, but I don't know. This is a pretty good resource for research. https://patientsbeyondborders.com
I guess if you are living overseas you would not have American insurance so then obv you would have to go to those hospitals.

What I am not understanding is someone like myself for example, who has a good job, with good insurance Ö why would I travel overseas to have something done?

Some people, sure, but I guess for myself, I just don't understand it. I have never had an issue here with my insurance not covering something.

If America doesn't have good standards (as someone said earlier in the thread), why then do people want to come here for treatments? Is it due to long wait times in other countries?

Old 04-30-2019, 10:50 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I guess if you are living overseas you would not have American insurance so then obv you would have to go to those hospitals.

What I am not understanding is someone like myself for example, who has a good job, with good insurance Ö why would I travel overseas to have something done?

Some people, sure, but I guess for myself, I just don't understand it. I have never had an issue here with my insurance not covering something.

If America doesn't have good standards (as someone said earlier in the thread), why then do people want to come here for treatments? Is it due to long wait times in other countries?
Fair questions. Speaking only for myself and my posts, I was responding to your comment that Thailand and Vietnam have poor hospitals and medical care. I was never suggesting that 1) you should leave the US for your medical care or 2) that America doesn't have good standards.

But to take a guess, most of the folks who travel are likely un/underinsured and/or seeking major treatments that are offered cheaper elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
What I am not understanding is someone like myself for example, who has a good job, with good insurance … why would I travel overseas to have something done?

I guess you really don't understand the topic...
36 with family ready to travel the world

No job
no roots holding the OP to USA
maybe no insurance ...

I can relate to those 3 items.. (As well as traveling / living internationally with small kids. ) Most of our USA friends / relatives were appalled at the thought.

OK... that's fine. They can stay home in their USA comfort zone, and we set off to explore on our own.

Some go... Some would NEVER consider going. That's fine, and completely understandable.

Most of the world cannot comprehend the USA issue of only getting HC insurance if you are working a J-o-b...(then iffy...). When do you explore / travel?

oh...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...-overseas.html
39 million Americans canít afford a summer vacation

Choices... we all make them.
Good job with HC insurance - is not a given for most people (Especially for those over age 50). Great job with benefits one day (for last 30 yrs)... no job the next day... Happens (a lot).

Old 05-06-2019, 08:53 AM

992 posts, read 345,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I guess you really don't understand the topic...
36 with family ready to travel the world

No job
no roots holding the OP to USA
maybe no insurance ...

I can relate to those 3 items.. (As well as traveling / living internationally with small kids. ) Most of our USA friends / relatives were appalled at the thought.

OK... that's fine. They can stay home in their USA comfort zone, and we set off to explore on our own.

Some go... Some would NEVER consider going. That's fine, and completely understandable.

Most of the world cannot comprehend the USA issue of only getting HC insurance if you are working a J-o-b...(then iffy...). When do you explore / travel?

oh...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...-overseas.html
39 million Americans canít afford a summer vacation

Choices... we all make them.
Good job with HC insurance - is not a given for most people (Especially for those over age 50). Great job with benefits one day (for last 30 yrs)... no job the next day... Happens (a lot).
Exactly. For some people, there is more to life than hanging out in the town you grew up in. The world is a beautiful and interesting place. I am so glad I got the opportunity to see and do a lot of things in my life. Some of us are just born with wanderlust.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Exactly. For some people, there is more to life than hanging out in the town you grew up in. The world is a beautiful and interesting place. I am so glad I got the opportunity to see and do a lot of things in my life. Some of us are just born with wanderlust.
I travel 3-4 times a year internationally, so it's not like I am "hanging out in the town I grew up in" Ö IDK, I would never get anything done overseas unless I got really sick over there while vacationing and couldn't get back to the states ...

Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I travel 3-4 times a year internationally, so it's not like I am "hanging out in the town I grew up in" … IDK, I would never get anything done overseas unless I got really sick over there while vacationing and couldn't get back to the states ...
Many of us (USA citizen for 40+ yrs) do not have the choice of Medical care in USA. (USA insurance is not affordable to most who ascribe to this lifestyle; 36 with family ready to travel the world, HC can be poor quality (+ expensive) in USA)

Foreign visitors to USA are often restricted to not get medical care in USA, and instead... evac them OUT of the USA for care, or... those with pre-existing conditions are not ALLOWED to travel to USA by their HC insurance providers.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:38 PM

200 posts, read 229,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think you should wait until your kids are older.

What are your plans for educating your kids when they get older? Home school?

Have you talked to a doctor and examined the CDC website for immunization for infectious disease that will be encountered on your trips?

Do you have a plan to pay for medical care if you or a child needs it on one of your trips?

Have you calculated the expenses of traveling where you want to go?

Maybe you have done all this. However, these are the kinds of questions someone who wants to do what you say you do need to think through really carefully.
This is like a 2-3 year plan. My oldest would be 6, so we will maybe do 1 year of home or world school for her.

Yes our Doctor knows our plans and she said it sounds great. Second round of vaccinations are in 2 weeks.

We have good health care and adequate resources/ travel insurance in case of necessary medical attention.

We anticipate 4-5g a month in expenses.

We put a for sale sign in the front yard. Got an offer we couldn't refuse. Leasing back for a couple months and then the journey begins. Wish us luck. Sometimes the biggest risk in life is not taking any risks. Costa Rica August through October. Colorado October through April. Asia May through ..... Life is an adventure.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:53 PM

893 posts, read 327,146 times
I wish you happy travels.

Just out of interest, where in Asia are you thinking of travelling? It being a huge, diverse continent.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:04 AM

200 posts, read 229,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I wish you happy travels.

Just out of interest, where in Asia are you thinking of travelling? It being a huge, diverse continent.
Well we went from Tokyo to BKK last year with our 2 yr old and loved every place we vistited except for Hong Kong.

So on our next, longer trip that will hopefully encapsulate a large portion of 2020 we'd like to redo DaNang, VNM and head to Nha Trang and hopefully more beautiful parts of VNM.

We definitely want to check out Chang Mai and then the southern portion of Thailand as well. We previously were on Koh Chang and BKK and really enjoyed the laid back vibe.

We want to check out Indonesia, especially Bali, etc..

We've thought about trying to go to the Tokyo Olympics, we loved Tokyo and Japan as a whole.

Honorable mentions include the Philippines, Cambodia (loved it the first time), Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Korea, Taiwan, but most likely we will not be able to get to these places unless we decide to stay for more than a year which, hey you never know.

Our family has already committed to visiting us in Costa Rica, so if we can get them over to wherever we are in Asia it may empower us to stay and experience more.

Let me know if you have any recommendations!

insta: thefamilyfuntour , roamingtrader if you want to follow along.

thx to everyone who has posted. it has been a huge help to hear all the different opinions, concerns, inspirational words, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or