U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 02:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,562,941 times

Advertisements

Good luck to OP. It is good that your first few stops are in USA or close to USA. by the time you do long flight, your youngest will be 1 and oldest 4. which is not bad age. Enjoy your trip. I wish I could pack my bag and go for long time in different culture. Its one thing to visit for a week and another to live for months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
Well we went from Tokyo to BKK last year with our 2 yr old and loved every place we vistited except for Hong Kong.

So on our next, longer trip that will hopefully encapsulate a large portion of 2020 we'd like to redo DaNang, VNM and head to Nha Trang and hopefully more beautiful parts of VNM.

We definitely want to check out Chang Mai and then the southern portion of Thailand as well. We previously were on Koh Chang and BKK and really enjoyed the laid back vibe.

We want to check out Indonesia, especially Bali, etc..

We've thought about trying to go to the Tokyo Olympics, we loved Tokyo and Japan as a whole.

Honorable mentions include the Philippines, Cambodia (loved it the first time), Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Korea, Taiwan, but most likely we will not be able to get to these places unless we decide to stay for more than a year which, hey you never know.

Our family has already committed to visiting us in Costa Rica, so if we can get them over to wherever we are in Asia it may empower us to stay and experience more.

Let me know if you have any recommendations!

insta: thefamilyfuntour , roamingtrader if you want to follow along.

thx to everyone who has posted. it has been a huge help to hear all the different opinions, concerns, inspirational words, etc..
Curious, what didn't you like about Hong Kong?

Old 05-27-2019, 12:06 PM

200 posts, read 229,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Curious, what didn't you like about Hong Kong?
Hk felt soul-less to us. Lots of dried seafood and tall buildings. Coming from Japan, it just felt like a downgrade in almost every cultural way. There were good times and we enjoyed it but not a highlight. It's a marvel of engineering, though, and I'm sure the second time around we would probably enjoy it more.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Hk felt soul-less to us. Lots of dried seafood and tall buildings. Coming from Japan, it just felt like a downgrade in almost every cultural way. There were good times and we enjoyed it but not a highlight. It's a marvel of engineering, though, and I'm sure the second time around we would probably enjoy it more.
Do you think you would have enjoyed it more if your kids hadn't been with you?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:19 PM

200 posts, read 229,357 times
Quote:
Do you think you would have enjoyed it more if your kids hadn't been with you?
yes 100%. We couldn't go on the harbor cruise for the light show because it was late and we needed to get our daughter home to bed. There was a number of things we couldn't do because it was just too much for our little one at the time. It's a big place with steep streets and it can be very hot and humid. HK was also the one place where she was a little under the weather.

Out of 35 days though, the fact that just those 3 days were slightly less than absolutely amazing I thing reminds me that everything will always work out.

I carried her for an hour or so through the Tomb Raider temple at Ta Prohm, in (Angkor Wat) Siem Reap, Cambodia.

She stayed at home with her mom who wasn't feeling well (morning sickness) on Koh Chang Island while I did a 4 island tour by myself one day of snorkeling.

We also obviously couldn't stay out too too late most of the time but when we did stay out late as a family in Bangkok or Tokyo, boy was it memorable.

Sacrifices though, Worth it. I love love love traveling as a family. Traveling alone or with adults is almost boring now compared to when we travel as a family.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
yes 100%. We couldn't go on the harbor cruise for the light show because it was late and we needed to get our daughter home to bed. There was a number of things we couldn't do because it was just too much for our little one at the time. It's a big place with steep streets and it can be very hot and humid. HK was also the one place where she was a little under the weather.

Out of 35 days though, the fact that just those 3 days were slightly less than absolutely amazing I thing reminds me that everything will always work out.

I carried her for an hour or so through the Tomb Raider temple at Ta Prohm, in (Angkor Wat) Siem Reap, Cambodia.

She stayed at home with her mom who wasn't feeling well (morning sickness) on Koh Chang Island while I did a 4 island tour by myself one day of snorkeling.

We also obviously couldn't stay out too too late most of the time but when we did stay out late as a family in Bangkok or Tokyo, boy was it memorable.

Sacrifices though, Worth it. I love love love traveling as a family. Traveling alone or with adults is almost boring now compared to when we travel as a family.
I'm childless. I like kids but not planning to have any and honestly, I think traveling with them would not be much fun and very limiting.

I travel with my husband and I really enjoy it.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
I'm childless. I like kids but not planning to have any and honestly, I think traveling with them would not be much fun and very limiting.

I travel with my husband and I really enjoy it.
And how did you get your DH to not be a 'little kid' ?

The world wants to know...

I like solo travel (still a little kid)

But when with kids... we traveled extensively, when as couple... the same.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And how did you get your DH to not be a 'little kid' ?

The world wants to know...

I like solo travel (still a little kid)

But when with kids... we traveled extensively, when as couple... the same.
We're big kids... kids @ heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or