U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 08:13 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,318,072 times

Advertisements

I'll also mention that the planes fly every day, and you're not going to put your parental brains into some kind of deep freeze while you're abroad. If you discover, after a month or six, that the dynamic isn't working to your or your kids' benefit, there's nothing stopping you from going to the airport and flying home.

You might even consider making this not one, but a series of trips separated by brief cycles at home for visits with relatives and friends, drivers license or passport renewals, filing taxes, preventative medical care, trips to Costco... whatever. If you want to become expats, fine; if you want to become world travelers, also fine. Make it up as you go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 AM

9,256 posts, read 8,327,423 times
Meh, I think I'd wait a while.

Traveling with a newborn just doesn't sound fun.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,983,961 times
So many opinions here being stated as fact. The community of perpetually traveling families is exploding and no doubt many of them feel it is a disservice to their children to raise them in an ordinary lifestyle with ordinary schooling. Being in almost the same position as you, I see lots of pros and cons to both and struggled for some time in our own decisions. There is merit to all of the viewpoints given above (well, at least a little merit) and so it is true that each choice will involve sacrifice as it relates to your kids, but will certainly present benefits as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
My wife and I are both 36. We have a 3 yr old daughter and a 3 month old boy. We are planning an exit from suburban Austin to travel the world with the following plan.

We are selling our primary residence (hopefully) which should allow us to pay off all of the remaining debt on our rental properties so we would have 4 paid for, cash flowing properties with combined gross rents of $6425/month and a net income of around $4000-4500/month. In addition we will have liquid assets that will pay another $500/month in dividend cash flow and I am a proprietary day trader who is able to work basically anywhere I have a quality internet connection.

I’m certain I could stay in suburbia, leverage into some NNN commercial properties, focus on my work, and raise my kids in a standard American lifestyle, but we are choosing a different path that will hopefully take us to the far corners of this planet and enrich us more than our current living situation. For once I am not going to allow the dollar bill to guide my decisions.

1: Do you think we’re crazy for wishing to travel this extensively with such young children?

2: Do you think we are cutting it too tight financially? We plan to live below our means and travel slowly spending at least a month each in low cost of living countries (Central America, Asia, etc)

3: Any input you may have positive or negative is welcomed. I’m confident, but not over-confident about this type of existence. I’m sure it will be tough but rewarding.

It feels like somewhat of a FIRE plan.

Thank you in advance.
1. Definitely don't think you are crazy. We are in almost the same position as you but are deciding to wait til the youngest is 3 years old, and even then we will begin by being in our first home abroad for at least one year (and more likely 2-3 years). The one month at a time travel isn't in our plans until after all of that.

2. Nah. I mean, it depends what kind of lifestyle you envision, both in terms of spending and in terms of work-life balance. We have approximately the same rental portfolio as you and we don't plan to specifically live in low COL areas, but we also aren't going to be just hanging out with the kids all day. They will be going to school and we will be actively working and making regular income. The rentals are a worst-case scenario fallback. If you make good money day trading and plan to continue that then you have nothing to worry about (besides losing it all in the market but you know what I mean)

3. I think it will be very rewarding. Naturally you want to be cognizant about the language and culture shock for your whole family, but there are so many online and real life traveling communities to get plugged into that that should help a bit. I don't think some of the naysayers realize how mainstream all of this has become. Now, I will say that if you haven't done much traveling with the younger one you may want to consider doing some smaller trips first before diving in the deep end. Our little one has flown 9 times now, and we have done two bonafide trips with both kids on our own and it is scary, but at least we have practice. And with that said I would not want to start perpetually traveling with the two of them just yet. But that's me and my kids, certainly doesn't mean you all are the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
BS!
More opinionated crap.
Small kids have no value for travel.
Sight seeing is not their thing.

There is a proper time for many things. Travel and sight seeing is one of them.
Totally. Why do anything with them? Might as well just lock them in a closet until they can start remembering their experiences.

Quote:
I’ve read everyone’s responses so far and taken them to heart. We asked our 3 year old if she’d like to get on a plane and travel to far off countries or stay here, with all of her toys, close to her friends and both sets of grandparents. I did not sway her with my tone and admittedly I tried to sell her on staying here near family and toys. She didn’t hesitate for a second and said she wanted to travel on a airplane and stay in a hotel. Last year we traveled from Tokyo to Bangkok over 5 weeks going on planes, trains and automobiles. She plays airplane every day making us sit next to her and eat play food and pretend we’re flying to South America. She also turned the coat closet into her Tokyo apartment with a kitchen and bedroom, etc...

She’s also been to Costa Rica already and loves playing on the beach and in the sand, but selling our house and living overseas for an extended period is a different beast... and we have her little brother now, so I understand the comments about selfishness and him being too young. As far as waiting 5-6 years, I just think she will be in school and we will not be able to break away for a year or 18 months as easily.

I think it is interesting that there are posters commenting so certainly that children do not receive anything from traveling, and yet they have no children themselves. In my experience, my daughter has grown and learned more from traveling than staying in one place, playing with toys. She seems bored and asks us everyday when our next road trip or airplane ride will be.

We’re very lucky. There are pros and cons to leaving sooner rather than later. When it comes to adventure I admit we are a bit impatient, but it hasn’t been a negative... yet.
Lol, just got to this post now...seems like up above I was echoing a lot of what you're saying here. Well, I think your daughter will do just fine leaving later on in life if that's what you do. Someday I hope to create or participate in a traveling school for families and kids, kinda like remote year (or any of the other dozens of location independent coops) but designed for families with schoolchildren. You would be a prime candidate for participation lol.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 3,794,184 times
Quote:
I’ve read everyone’s responses so far and taken them to heart. We asked our 3 year old if she’d like to get on a plane and travel to far off countries or stay here, with all of her toys, close to her friends and both sets of grandparents. I did not sway her with my tone and admittedly I tried to sell her on staying here near family and toys. She didn’t hesitate for a second and said she wanted to travel on a airplane and stay in a hotel. Last year we traveled from Tokyo to Bangkok over 5 weeks going on planes, trains and automobiles. She plays airplane every day making us sit next to her and eat play food and pretend we’re flying to South America. She also turned the coat closet into her Tokyo apartment with a kitchen and bedroom, etc...

She’s also been to Costa Rica already and loves playing on the beach and in the sand, but selling our house and living overseas for an extended period is a different beast... and we have her little brother now, so I understand the comments about selfishness and him being too young. As far as waiting 5-6 years, I just think she will be in school and we will not be able to break away for a year or 18 months as easily.

I think it is interesting that there are posters commenting so certainly that children do not receive anything from traveling, and yet they have no children themselves. In my experience, my daughter has grown and learned more from traveling than staying in one place, playing with toys. She seems bored and asks us everyday when our next road trip or airplane ride will be.

We’re very lucky. There are pros and cons to leaving sooner rather than later. When it comes to adventure I admit we are a bit impatient, but it hasn’t been a negative... yet.
Well, I have raised several kids, and I remember BEING a child. Wait until the youngest is at least five or six years old. Children need regular food, sleep, and lots of freedom to run around. They also get bored with sightseeing - imagine being dragged clothing shopping with your mother all day when you were four.

Don't worry about missing out on early elementary school. As long as you teach them to read, write, and do arithmetic on your own while traveling, they will be fine when you return to regular life. Better yet, spend a year in one country, starting when the youngest is in kindergarten, and they'll become fluent in that language.

Asking a three year old her opinion is insane - she is not yet old enough to give a competent opinion in this matter. Ask her if she wants to be overtired, hungry, have no place comfortable to lie down, be strapped for hours and hours into a seat, and be dragged around to museums. Ask her if she wants to have travel immunizations. Ask her if she wants to wait on long lines to get through security.

Believe me. The 3 year old is too young, and for the infant it will just be misery. Becoming nomads with very young children is just cruel for them. They will have no memory of any of it, and they will suffer a lot of discomfort during the traveling. Later on, they won't care about missing several years of early elementary school. You sound as if you are trying to rationalize your selfish desire to go NOW, rather than wait for the sake of the kids. How does their mother feel about this?

Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 PM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
In Singapore hostel, there was a couple with a baby in diapers, who had appareently made it overland all the way from Sweden. I didn't look to me like they were having much fun. I think both parents had resolved not to admit to each other that it was a mistaken and kept playing out some fantasy, but that's just my observation, I didn't talk to them. I don't think anyone else did either, it just seemed too weird. . That baby is now 24 -- wonder how he's doing.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 PM

330 posts, read 117,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In Singapore hostel, there was a couple with a baby in diapers, who had appareently made it overland all the way from Sweden. I didn't look to me like they were having much fun. I think both parents had resolved not to admit to each other that it was a mistaken and kept playing out some fantasy, but that's just my observation, I didn't talk to them. I don't think anyone else did either, it just seemed too weird. . That baby is now 24 -- wonder how he's doing.
You saw this 24 years ago and are using it as evidence that it wouldn't work? The world of technology and international relations has improved 20 fold in the last 20 years. Travel is easier, the internet is widely available for both education and recreation, and there are more resources available to families with children than ever. Even just the option of long term air bnb instead of hotels everynight greatly changes the experience a family traveling with children would have.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:14 PM

43,566 posts, read 52,728,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A 3 yr old daughter and a 3 month old boy will derive no pleasure out of this plan to extensively travel..
Yup.
This is my only concern.
You sound set up great in terms of $ and career.
But it's not going to be fun FOR ANYONE to travel with either age group.
I'd hit the road when your boy is 4.
Real sweet spot right there.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
You saw this 24 years ago and are using it as evidence that it wouldn't work? The world of technology and international relations has improved 20 fold in the last 20 years. Travel is easier, the internet is widely available for both education and recreation, and there are more resources available to families with children than ever. Even just the option of long term air bnb instead of hotels everynight greatly changes the experience a family traveling with children would have.
I used it as evidence that some travelers don't appear to have thought things through very well. And you are overestimating how much change has taken place in the third world. In Addis Ababa, the power is off every day for at least two hours, and in Dire Dawa, there were some entire days without internet, and no days with consistent service. Since my previous visit to Afrca, things haven't improved 2-fold in 45 years, your 20-fold is laughable. Even in Thailand, outside a few tourist centers, things are not much different than they were 25 years ago. What are these wonderful educational and recreational opportunities for a baby with a pacifier and a soggy diaper in Savannakhet?

Last edited by cebuan; 04-11-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 05:17 AM

330 posts, read 117,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I used it as evidence that some travelers don't appear to have thought things through very well. And you are overestimating how much change has taken place in the third world. In Addis Ababa, the power is off every day for at least two hours, and in Dire Dawa, there were some entire days without internet, and no days with consistent service. Since my previous visit to Afrca, things haven't improved 2-fold in 45 years, your 20-fold is laughable. Even in Thailand, outside a few tourist centers, things are not much different than they were 25 years ago. What are these wonderful educational and recreational opportunities for a baby with a pacifier and a soggy diaper in Savannakhet?
you were in Singapore which is hardly a remote African nation and Singapore has advanced to a degree with the rest of the world. Its a BIG world. There are more than enough places in the world to visit without visiting areas that are inaccessible in their current situation. And if they change their mind they can always go somewhere else or go "home".

Old 04-12-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
you were in Singapore which is hardly a remote African nation and Singapore has advanced to a degree with the rest of the world. Its a BIG world. There are more than enough places in the world to visit without visiting areas that are inaccessible in their current situation. And if they change their mind they can always go somewhere else or go "home".
I didn't meet any backpackers toting babies through Africa, I just commented in what saw. The Swedes had come overland, so I doubt if it was Singapore all the way.It didn't sound like the OP was talking abour traveling to the Singapores of the world. He mentioned Central America, where local moms hold the babies out the windows of the chicken buses to pee.

Singapore might be the worst of all worlds, like the US, where you are constantly under surveillance for nanny laws about tots.

Last edited by cebuan; 04-12-2019 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or